1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting article (and fuel for the anti-Henne fire)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hugoguzman, Nov 8, 2010.

1. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Came across this interesting article by Tim Graham:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/21323/dolphins-dont-know-what-they-are

The two things that really stood out to me where:
    -our approach to defending Ray Rice, even after he showed a propensity to gash our defense
    -the coaching staff's anger towards Henne (and not just because of the four points he left on the field at the end of the first half)

Curious to see if they'll give this young QB a chance to atone in these final 8 games. I hope so...

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I guess I can understand the cursing on that 3rd and 10 if a play were there to be made through the air, but I don't see how he would have made those last 3 yards even if he fought for them. Maybe he had more room than I am recalling, and could have dove head first.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "That is a throw I have to make"

About the pass (that is being kind) to Fasano in the End Zone.

All in all a mild article Hugo G, the game film will show much more than just that, whether they bench Henne (and they should, does not mean they will) or not, his game is just putrid right now.:sad:

Here is the other problem, there are 44 other guys on the roster who want to win and play as hard as possible to win, how long can Sparano not give them the best chance to win>?

That is the sort of thing that blows up locker rooms.

4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Why should we bench Henne? Has he been on a hot streak? No, but we need to give him the opportunity to finish the year. We HAVE to find our QB, not throw people to the curb for backups as soon we encounter a bad stretch.

27-9

Anyone want take a guess as to what that is? Chad Pennington vs. the Ravens in '08. He is not the answer.

firedan, Tone_E, Coral Reefer and 2 others like this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, Chad Henne should be benched, there is no reason to waste a season so he can try and work himself out of a slump, that is a "Henne problem".

1 Td 5 int's in the last three games, wanna fix the red zone issues?

Start with #7, how could he miss a wide open Fasano at the end of the half?

I could go on and on, choose not to, Henne needs a clipboard and Penny or thiggy whomever they deem gives us the best chance to win should start.

Phins28 likes this.
  6. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah great, lets put in our backups finish 9-7 anyway and then be in the same boat as next season. Sorry, Penny doesn't beat the big boys either. I honestly don't want to see Penny or Thiggy in a starting role. If Henne sucks and leads us to a 4-12 record, then fine we cut his *** and draft someone to replace him.

I am making the argument that finding our franchise QB is more important than the rest of this season, good or bad.

7. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Henne had know where to go with the ball and tried to help us win, it didnt work out. learning moment i hope.
    If your a qb who runs with it on third down you dont slide. On 1st or 2nd ok but not on third down. Also maybe they were mad he ran with it in the first place . tHey may think he probably should have kept play alive behind the line of scrimage (hindsight) and hope someone gets open. Frustration gets to everyone even coaches

8. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    You didn't finish the reason why the coaches were upset. It was b/c of his feet, not his arm.... and IIRC he had 2 defenders bearing down hard on him and Chad might've gotten blasted if he didn't slide.

dolphindebby likes this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Your choice, I doubt the Staff feels the same way.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is only what is being reported because the Staff was screaming so loudly they noticed it, what else went on will be much worse.

Recall Sparano saying Henne was on the hook for Hartline's fumble vs the steelers?

I think this is coming to a head.

Bpk likes this.
  11. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The Staff is part of the problem at this point. They need to step it up just as much as the players.

A lousy season puts people on the hot seat, but planning short term instead of long is the sign of a coach not long for the league.

Bpk likes this.
  12. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    it's still Henne.

He missed Fasano, yes. But honestly, thats just inexperience. He got nervous, felt the pressure and threw it too quickly. It was a bad play but as far as i can tell, im pretty sure its the first time we've tried a play like that with Henne. Sometimes players have to make the mistake before knowing how to fix it.

He would have had more time then he thought. The coaches will show him that and next time he'll wait for Fasano to get to the back of the endzone instead of just throwing it right away.

No one in their right mind should want to see Pennington. We know where that road ends. Henne is the only player currently on this roster to have a legit chance at being our guy for the next ten years, theres absolutely no reason for him not to finish out this season (especially since every game should get easier and easier from here on out)

And to be honest, what scenario would have to happen for Henne not to be our starter next season as well? We've probably already won enough games to lose out on Locker and Luck, FA QBs are garbage most the time. The only other option is Thigpen, who is not a franchise QB in the waiting. We could take a QB in the 2nd or late in the first round, but that guy probably wont beat out Henne as a rookie either.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    How was Henne on the hook for Hart's fumble? That's like blaming a hooker for catching herpes even though you chose to not wear a rubber.

unifiedtheory likes this.
  14. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Psssssh. Henne should be mad at Henning for limiting his abilities.

15. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Well i like henne but if that ball against the steelers was placed better Hartline wouldn't have to stretch out for it and be in a awkward position to make yac this put him in a position to get the ball knocked loose. Both are at fault imo

Bpk likes this.
  16. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Exactly. Ed Reed with a pick six.

People act like Penny won a super bowl and was tossed away for some incomprehensible reason. The guy was never meant to be anything but filler and he struggles against good aggressive defenses. We seem to have conveniently forgotten that fact in our righteous fury at Henne.

17. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    This is all total bull ****. Chad Henne is not getting benched. Speculation is annoying.

ToddsPhins and FinFan_Est.1984 like this.
  18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Bro, why hasn't the redzone offense improved this year?

It is as bad now as it was in wk#1.

DolfanJake likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because the Qb is not just responsible for throwing the ball in the direction of receiver, they are also responsible for the touch and placement of the pass.

He was supposed to hit Hartline in stride on the left side of his body, with Fasano in the endzone, he was supposed to throw over the Lb on the int to Beast, which was a high point throw, which is a touch throw, Henne rocket balled it, Bess down at the goaline Henne throw a knuckleball Bess was so wide open he caught the ball, if he had hit him in stride, Bess walks into the endzone.

Tin Indian, Phins28 and Bpk like this.
  20. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    And Penny is the answer? The guy that didn't lead us to a single TD against the Ravens in the playoffs?

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Henne has not led us to the playoffs to then suck, he skipped that step and went directly into incompetence during the regular season.

Keep in mind we added Beast for a reason, we added Hartline for a reason, yet the offense is far far worse now than it was in 08 even with additional weapons.

Sooner or later, this will dawn on people.

Miguel and jdang307 like this.
  22. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Your not wrong, but there is something to be said about how Henne consistently gets us to the redzone. Not to mention the complete disappearance of our redzone running game.

23. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    what was the best part of our offense in 2008? I'll give you a hint, Pennington didn't even line up a QB. Ronnie made the pro bowl because of it. If it was still effective today, things would be a bit easier on Henne right now.

Also, didn't beast royally screw Henne today? Wasn't a great pass, sure, but we call him 'beast' for a reason. Not to pop one up to Reed for a free INT.

Dolfan330 and texanphinatic like this.
  24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Has Henne been sacked often?

How many times was he sacked today?

Twice?

25. FinFan_Est.1984

FinFan_Est.1984 Get Aggressive!!!

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    One bad throw by Henne in the red zone does not excuse Henning for the bad play calling many times through out the season.

We need to see Henne finish the year.

texanphinatic likes this.
  26. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Penny lead us to the playoffs in a year in which Tom Brady was hurt, the Jests still had the Mangina as a coach and we played the easiest schedule in the league. When we ran into a real team like the Ravens in the playoffs we got crushed and the offense stagnated. While you can make the argument we have added better receivers, I can make the argument that our running game was much more effective that year than this.

I still fail to see how throwing in our backups will significantly improve our odds.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    #19, Maybe you heard of him?

How many TD's does he have?

Why was he single covered, in the endzone, and the ball not land anywhere near enough for him to catch it?

How many times have that happened this season?

28. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I was there live, and again, the playcalling has serious flaws. We run the same plays out of the same formations drive in and drive out. The defenses know what we're doing. This has to be corrected. We run WR screens with no blocking help. Whenever we're in trips, the defense knows a WR screen is coming. The same hook sideline patterns on first down (The one where Hartline slipped and got intercepted). Playaction on obvious pass plays.

It's quite simple. We run the same plays and the defenses know it. Either Dan Henning needs to fix it or he needs to GTFO.

29. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    What play are you referring to? Please enlighten me, because I KNOW you're not referring to the one down the sideline where Marshall was tripped and fell. I KNOW you're not dumb enough to blame that on Henne.

30. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    The one where the CB cut him off from the pass in route? unless you mean something else, thats the only thing i remember.

same player gave the opposing team an int today by not catching it too. I expect that kind of crap from Ted Ginn.

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nope, the one where the ball was so badly misthrown Marshall tried to draw a pass interference flag in the endzone.

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh yeah, calls for a touch pass on a high point, Henne throws a heater instead, it riccochets off his hands for the Int.

Don't be surprised when he is sat.

33. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    either way, there is no denying that the situation is bad. really bad. this is the type of game that set forth things in motion where people get fired and major positions get drafted for.

padre31 and texanphinatic like this.
  34. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    It was certainly catchable for a guy whose nickname is 'beast'.

If it literally ricochets off your hands, it means it hit you in the freakin hands. Are you REALLY going to say thats Hennes fault to???

35. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I actually thought he'd been doing a good job of steadily improving (until this game) of placing the ball to where our guys can add on some YAC. Most of his passes to Bess are as such..... and most of his passes to Marshall are at a location where Brandon can keep running or do his patented spin move...... but it seems like defenses respect our deep game so little that they can take away these shorter YAC routes that Brandon typically thrives on. The comebacks and so forth are pretty well placed for the most part...... the intermediate to deep sideline passes and backshoulders are typically impressive IMO. And he's improving at hitting our backs in stride.

The only passes that I have a problem with are the ones to Fasano..... but most of those are still catchable and maybe Fasano's routes etc are equally to blame? :dunno: Only the team and coaches know for sure.

36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, because it is mostly his error on the throw.

Saw Henne do the same thing last season to DBess in the second Patriots game on a third down conversion attempt ball bounced up in the air pretty much the same way.

37. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    well then we're just going to disagree then. I dont care if its a duck or a rocket, it hits your hands, it hits your hands.

I am positive the WR coach didn't go over to 'Beast' and say "Don't worry about it, that was Chads fault, he threw it to hard for your fragile little hands"

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Or benched, put yourself in Sparano's shoes:

-4-4 at the turn

-Qb has next to nothing to do with being 4-4, if anything your field goal kicker does.

-Qb has thrown 5 int's and 1 TD in 3 games

-You have yet to score 25 pts in a game, you have the worst percentage of drives ending in FG's

What would your next move be?

39. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    You can go both ways if you want to play that game. How many losses are all Henne's fault?

Honestly, I could argue 3 of those 5 interceptions were not on Henne (the one obviously against Pittsburgh should be thrown out anyway).

Agreed, we need more touchdowns, but you can't sit there and tell me Henne is the sole reason for that. He gets some blame but the playcalling and lack of a running game are major problems as well.

My next move would be to get the team prepared to get a win at home in a very important game. This is a must win game and you want to put in a QB who has yet to play this season against a very good defensive line?

40. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Ray Lewis said it himself. They forced us to beat them deep..... which to me means that they focused on taking away our short to intermediate game where all of our receivers, lone TE, and backs thrive. (that's so sad saying "lone TE".... even worse saying rookie FA #4 & #5 WR)

Marshall and Bess need a little space to do what they do best and be the most effective..... so how can we maximize their production if we don't have the players to threaten the deep and middle field in order to provide Marshall and Bess more space so that they don't have a guy on top of them as soon as the ball's caught.

That can't be an easy task for Henne (or our offense) to operate under such conditions. The coverage is tighter by default, hence the windows are tighter by default. I rarely see guys running wide open like I do the rest of the NFL.

Our offense is built to be a "possession type only" offense. These aren't the best circumstances for any QB to thrive in from the get-go..... and this isn't even taking into account that "possession guys" usually imply ultra reliability in catching the ball and not turning it over.

Bpk likes this.