1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Article on Draft Values by team

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by thedayafter, Jan 11, 2008.

1. thedayafter

thedayafter New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    The most offensive-minded teams in the last 12 years of the draft have been Miami (62.1%), Cleveland (59.5%), New Orleans (59.4%), Indianapolis (58.3%), and Chicago (56.7%).

Miami Dolphin rank second behind the Saints for the most Running backs taken: The Dolphins have spent an absurd amount of effort on a quantity of running backs. This doesn’t include the trade for Ricky Williams, so keep that in mind when I list the running backs they’ve selected. In chronological order: Karim Abdul-Jabbar, Stanley Pritchett, Jerris McPhail, John Avery, J.J. Johnson, Rob Konrad, Cecil Collins, Deon Dyer, Travis Minor, Leonard Henry, Ronnie Brown, Lorenzo Booker, Reagan Mauia. That’s two first-rounders (including #2 overall), two second-rounders, two third-rounders, two fourth-rounders, two fifth-rounders, and a sixth and seventh rounder. And of those twelve seasons, six of them saw someone besides one of the draftees lead the team in carries (Williams, Sammy Morris, Lamar Smith, and Jesse Chatman).

Interesting take on QB's and the draft too....

Full article: http://www.patriotsdaily.com/2008/01/outside-foxborough-how-teams-are-using-the-draft-value-chart/

dolpns13 likes this.
  2. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Jerris McPhail.. Haha I forgot about him

Gtear find though. I didnt know how high we were for drafting RB's and offense and the list doesnt even take into consideration the other offense positions we drafted. just goes to show you how awesome our scounting department has been.. YEEEaaaahhhhh :up:

3. miamitd13

miamitd13 Junior Member

Dec 10, 2007
    what an insult to our ineptitude - they don't even mention Sammy Smith. Wasn't that within 12 years?

4. thedayafter

thedayafter New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    SS was drafted in 1989...

5. thedayafter

thedayafter New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    It just goes to show... the core talent base on this team.. players that should be highly productive in seasons 4-8... just don't exist...

6. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    that should all change now. Wanny and Saban and even JJ (offensively) didnt know how to judge offensive talent. well, let me correct, Wanny and Saban didnt know how to judge any talent.

7. miamitd13

miamitd13 Junior Member

Dec 10, 2007
    oh sheesh - i really do need to stop drinking so early. thanks for the clarification...:wave:

8. big0mar

big0mar New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    yea, good article

i was going to post it, but figured id get slammed for posting anything from patriots daily

9. miamitd13

miamitd13 Junior Member

Dec 10, 2007

Following up to that thought - I think I heard on the radio this week that every offensive and defensive starter for the Indianapolis Colts has never played a down for another team.

All home-grown. If that's true, that is some impressive personel decisions....

10. thedayafter

thedayafter New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    13... I heard the same... just goes to show... the draft is where it's at... and then cherry pick the emerging stars the year before their deal runs out in year 5...

11. zach8111

zach8111 New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    the reason we took so many RB is because we were trying to find one for marino and they just werent turning out to be good. we were trying to get help for marino

12. thedayafter

thedayafter New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Some are under the impression that you HAVE to select a QB in round 1 to contend for the playoffs... well it's simply not the case.... look at the this seasons 8 playoff teams....Manning(s) 1st... Rivers 1st.. Gerrard 4th... Farve 2nd... Brady and Hasselbeck 6ths... Romo.. UDFA

QB's need time to develop... period

13. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    no you dont, drink more!

14. rogergould1313

rogergould1313 New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Remember Jimmy Johnson Jumping Up And Down Over John Avery That Was Funny

15. thedayafter

thedayafter New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Too often the Dolphins have drafted "accessories" like running backs and WR's high in the draft... when we really should have focused on major moving parts like OL and DL.... and than includes this past draft....

16. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    Or under the impression that we have to draft a QB at all to compete: Favre(trade), Hasselbeck(trade), Romo(UDFA), Garcia(FA), T.Collins(FA) were not drafted by the teams that they led to the playoffs this year. That's 5* of the 12 playoff teams that found playoff quality QB's by means other than the draft.

(*Technically Eli and Rivers weren't drafted by their respective teams...but it would cheapen the argument to include them)

How about last year?

Rivers, SD (drafted 1st*), McNair, BAL (trade), Manning, IND (drafted 1st), Brady, NE(drafted 6th), Pennington, NYJ (drafted 1st), Huard, KC (he got them there - FA), Grossman, CHI (drafted 1st), Brees, NO (FA), Garcia, PHI (FA), Hasselbeck, SEA (trade), Romo, DAL (UDFA), E.Manning, NYG (drafted 1st*)

6 were drafted, 2 were traded for, 3 were signed as UFA and 1 was an UDFA.

So, looking at just the last 2 years, it looks as if drafting a QB is just as good a way to go about things as getting one another way.

Of the 7 QB's who have made the playoffs each of the last two seasons, 4 were drafted (Eli, Peyton, Brady and Rivers), 1 was traded for (Hasselbeck) 1 was a UFA (Garcia) and 1 was an UDFA (Romo)

17. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    And to make it worse, they forgot to mention the 3rd round draft pick we gave up for Lamar Gordon.