1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting article regarding Ricky's road to redemption (compared to Josh Hamilton)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Aug 1, 2008.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin sigpicz.blogspot.com

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/40124-josh-hamilton-vs-ricky-williams-americas-bigoted-media

I dont think that most of the points the author makes are valid, but it makes for interesting discussion..

I think more people have accepted Ricky Williams back than what the author states, and there were a few differences in the circumstances surrounding the 2 atheletes, I think both stories are good ones in terms of people overcoming their demons to reclaim some remnant of the exemplary careers that they could have had.. Of course, Ricky's final chapter isnt written yet, but I believe this is the most dedicated and COMFORTABLE that Ricky has ever been in regards to pro football, meaning, I dont foresee him falling back on his old convenient ganja crutch this time around..

Of course, one of the main gripes I still see some fans throw around regarding Ricky is the fact that he quit on his teamates.. What people dont seem to remember is that Ricky would have been out for the entire year regardless due to his third strike.. His "quitting" accomplished the same exact result, considering Ricky basically "retired" to serve out the sentence he would have carried either way..

mullingan, fins4o8 and Loyal Fin like this.
  2. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    I believe this is the most dedicated and COMFORTABLE that Ricky has ever been in regards to pro football,

First off, Comfortable is the key word. Ricky sounds and looks comfortable which is why I have such high hopes for him.

Now the article, IMO, was an interesting read but kinda opinionated, which I don't mind, I just take it for what its worth. I think Ricky has been accepted back by more people then this guy thinks. I also think that Ricky's return is early while Hamilton is out there daily performing superbly. I expect, at least hope, that if Ricky starts out and really performs, people will notice and he will get the feel good story exposure. Perhaps even receive REDEMPTION:yes:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I believe the real difference between Williams and Hamilton is that Ricky plays FOOTBALL and Josh plays BASEBALL. You tell me which sport is in more need of a "feel good" story?

4. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I have a few problems with that story.......

1st, Ricky was never addicted to weed, I have never heard of it being addicting. He CHOSE to smoke it, as it actually helped him overcome a social anxiety disorder. He could have used prescribed meds from a doctor, but he chose to self-medicate.

2nd, Ricky didn't have this "fall to the depths" story that Hamilton had. Hamilton really has overcome a lot to get back to where he is today. He is an addict, and will be til the day he dies, and that is a fact. Hopes are he can stay sober & clean, but none the less he is always an addict.

I think this author is trying to stir the pot, and play the race card, and consequently loses a lot of credibility to his argument. Its apples & oranges what these two have been through.

mullingan likes this.
  5. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN

Agree 100% I also got the racial tone to the article. Thats why I called it opionated. I honestly believe that if Ricky were to come out and have a couple of really good games early on, maybe even being top 5 in rushing or so, he would start to get some national attention to his story. I only hope, for Ricky's sake, that if things are going well and the attention really starts to come his way, he is able to cope with it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  6. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    run ricky, run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!