1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting comparrison regarding Joe Philbin's lack of Emotion.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nobody hated seeing the lack of passion from this team during the last few games more then I. To me, the team seemed to take on the physical embodiment of Joe Philbin, stoic almost to a fault. No sense of urgency. No sense of raw passion and fire. Im one who tends to want a coach who inspires his teams to greatness. Watching "Miracle" the other day....I saw the speeches and emotion Herb Brooks imparted on his young hockey team, driving them to greatness, and beating a Russian team most thought were unbeatable.

But then you come across something like this by Kevin Seifert.

"It's eerie how often a team takes on the personality of its head coach. For the past five years, the Detroit Lions were the physical embodiment of Jim Schwartz: aggressive, rambunctious and limited by an inability -- or lack of desire -- to control their emotions.

That approach served both parties well during the early years of a rebuilding effort from the 0-16 nadir of 2008, but it stunted their growth more recently and ultimately led to a decidedly fair conclusion Monday. The Lions have missed the playoffs twice since their presumed breakthrough 2011 season, and the decision to fire Schwartz was an encouraging sign that this franchise is no longer satisfied with the elevated competitiveness he provided.

Over the past five years, the Lions allowed their opponents more first downs via penalty (160) than all but one team. Their total of 565 penalties and 156 turnovers, along with a turnover margin of minus-31, all ranked 30th in the league.

Combine those mistakes with the Lions' performance in the second half of the past three seasons, and you have a convincing portrait of an unfocused and undisciplined team. The Lions went 5-6 after a 5-0 start in 2011, 0-8 after starting 4-4 in 2012 and 1-6 after opening this season 6-3.

There are plenty of explanations for why those swings occurred, but for me, it was simple. Under Schwartz, the Lions never grew up. They couldn't straddle the line between aggression and stupidity, too often falling into the morass of the latter."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/110468/jim-schwartz-and-his-lions-never-grew-up

I think the perfect coach is a combination of Joe Philbin and Jim Schwartz. One who maintains the steady hand, but knows when to dial up the fire and create a sense of urgency...driving a team to excellence. Maybe Philbin will take on some of these traits....most likely he wont. All I know is..its gonna be really hard to swallow another season like 2013...where all you get is a blank stare, and a team that gets out muscled and out desired by inferior division opponents.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  2. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    if he was a competent coach who knew how to game plan, looking at his long, emotionless face wouldnt be so bad. but the fact that he is an incompetent head coach that screams boring when i look at him makes it unbearable. you gotta bring something to the table. philbin brings nothing whatsoever.

joenhre, GARDENHEAD and Aquafin like this.
  3. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I can't buy that stuff. There's been enough coaches in this league (Landry, Walsh, Dungy, etc.) who have won plenty but weren't the classic "rah-rah" types. That's just nitpicking and looking for excuses, IMO.

It's in the preparation and the players collective will. If you can get up and play with heart and a sense of urgency in a big spot you shouldn't be on this team.

firedan and Larry Little like this.
  4. vt_dolfan

I tend to agree...I mean, Bill Belichick is the very definition of dull. He actually has a very dry sense of humor...but. But...why did they seem so.....ehhhhh? Was just like....oh well nother day at the office.

5. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Did anybody see the look on Philbin's face when he was walking onto the field during the pre-game. Almost looked like he would rather be anywhere else. My impression was one of nervousness, and lack of confidence. I thought the team played that way over the last two games. The lack of emotion that they played with in those last two games will stick with me all off season

6. vt_dolfan

I agree...thats what is going to stick with me as well. Fine..if we lose, we lose. But damn...we did the proverbial watching a called third strike with your bat on your shoulder last out of the 9th inning in the World Series. At least go down swinging.

7. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Don't buy into it... Every coach has their style and Belichick probably the best coach in the league isn't jumping around doing things because he has a camera on him like Harbaugh does (you know Harbaugh absolutely loves the ESPN attention he gets for being a rah-rah coach). Nothing wrong with Harbaugh/Carroll types but players respond to good coaching.

We had a rah rah fist pumper before Philbin and it translated to nothing.

8. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    True, but I have also seen him on the sidelines chewing guys out or talking up a unit here or there. I really don't see Philbin do much at all

9. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ya know, whether Philbin is the best option coach ever or not is irrelevant, but certainly, not every coach would have been able to keep this team on focused enough to even do as well as they did during the distractions of the bully-gate... In that case, his even-keeled demeanor was exactly what the team needed at that time. The man is obviously not 'incompetent' or he'd have been fired by now or never gotten to this point. The biggest fault we can see from Philbin is his loyalty to other coaches that ARE incompetent... (can you say Sherman, Turner, Taylor?).... He may yet be canned, but it won't be because he is incompetent or inept...

Califin likes this.
  10. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    this team has been this way since Saban left it definitely was that way with Morono and it this way under Philbin I some of you that live down there would take a that picture and go the media and have them do a story on the emotionless team .

11. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    That's exactly what I was thinking at the time. He looked nervous to the point of "deer in the headlights". He`s no doubt a very sincere guy but not HC material.

12. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    By who? By the owner who drops the axe at the first sign of ineptitude?

13. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    If only he had a teaspoon of Tony Sparano's kicking-related emotion.

14. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I honestly disliked that Sparano did not pan out or the way his situation was handled. Regardless of what some may think of him as a coach, I thought he got quite a bit out of his players. I think it was the right thing to let him go, but my opinion of him is high. Miami had probably the nastiest Oline under his tenure. It was such a treat to see those guys hammer out runs left and right. If he would come back as an Oline coach, I'd be all for that.

I think his biggest asset was giving players chances and his loyalty. He never once threw his players under the bus via the media. How many "no-names" did Miami have that played efficiently for them?

I agree, if Philbin had an ounce of Sparano's fire, whew. While I was beginning to buy into the slow and steady approach, I think the team missed the bus the last two weeks and it comes from the top down.

15. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    He looked that way because he knew we were screwed.

It would be one thing to loose. But loosing the way we did.

I would have been happy just punching the Jets in the mouth. We had zero intensity. It was very disheartening.

16. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Yup. Saparano had no QB. Unfortunately, lots of coaching jobs are decided by this simple fact. To make matters worse, he then went to the Jets and the Sanchez + Tebow tag-team. His bum signal-callers are giving him a bad rep, imo.

17. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I keep going back to the comments about swagger. Philbin had to look it up and then made light of the question and made a joke about it. A nervous joke. I wonder the intent of the guy who asked the question originally. Was the question posed to suggest we needed it going into the playoffs. Was it to point out " Hey Joe, your kind of boring"?

Without putting words or things in Philbins mouth he simply said it didn't fit this team at all, so NO we don't have it.

Here's why that statement is a problem. To have swagger means you have confidence. To have confidence one must feel very comfortable in what they are doing as a team and as a individual player each and every day. This simple philosophy requires several things but the one thing that it must have is great coaching. Without great coaching confidence weans. when confidence weans we have back to back games like Buffalo and NY.

Ray Lewis comes to mind when I think about swagger. Now I would give just about anything to have a guy like that on the team. Because weather we are good or not I can guarantee one thing that would have happened Sunday for sure and that is NY would have got punched in the Mouth. That would have at least softened the loss, because I hate those mother ****ers.

18. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Still love Sparano, He had swagger!!!

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    This.

20. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Unfortunately, and in Philbin's defense, he is learning on the job. Some do very well with their first gig, but I imagine if we were to look at most NFL coaches' first gig (whether high school, college, or pros), we may see a similar trend. I do believe this is Philbin's first rodeo at any level, and while he certainly (in the eyes of those who make the decisions) seems to have the tools, he has to learn from his mistakes. I think he is capable.

The question is: will he get the opportunity?

Some may question his loyalty to his staff. This is valid. But why would he not maintain loyalty? Yes, this is a business, but these are also his friends. The top of the organization may ultimately decide to have him cut some. I think Sherman is the logical choice, but Turner may be the real scapegoat. I am not down on Sherman because I do think he has a good offensive mind. Sometimes the situation does not always lend itself to good results. This may be the case with Sherman. With that, I still think that this is an odd dynamic having been Philbin's HC in the past. How does one tell his "mentor" what to do?

I think if this team retains Philbin, the right thing for this team to move forward is to part ways with Sherman. While it is not rare for former HCs to become coordinators on another team, I think the dynamic here is uncomfortable. Logical choice for OC might be Kubiak, who coached with Sherman in the early 90's at Texas A&M. One thing for sure, Jim Turner must go. While he was probably in a bad situation with bullygate, he nearly had Tannehill killed. And speaking of Tannehill, word is he has lost faith in Sherman. Who goes? Potential franchise QB, or OC? I think we know the answer.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  21. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    THANK YOU!

This is exactly what I've been saying all year. People seem to ignore the fact that this is Philbin's first ever head coaching gig, and like any player or person doing something for the first time, he's going to have growing pains as he learns what needs to be done.

It's exactly why I would like to keep him. I believe he'll be able to get it right as he learns from his mistakes.

P h i N s A N i T y and Colmax like this.
  22. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    This team had to deal with one helluva thing this year. What saves his job may not only be on how he dealt with the matter, but also the fact that he wanted Incognito gone after the moronic golf incident. Who made the decision to keep Incognito after this?

This decision to retain him was damning, and that person who kept him on might as well ge the axe.

If Incognito is not on the roster, does Miami even have to deal with this scandal? I think not. It may not have necessarily have translated into more wins, but it certainly would have made this season easier on the organization as a whole.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  23. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    the man is incompetent. he was an offensive coordinator in green bay who didnt even call plays. supposedly he was a master at game planning. well, now he's our head coach, and he is incompetent at game planning, the one thing he's supposedly good at. he doesnt call plays, he cant game plan, he cant motivate, he cant control a locker room....exactly what is he good at?

24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Every year, different coaches, I could pull out threads from our last three head coaches tenures, Saban, Sparano and Philbin and show you posts that asked the question, " why do we seem to lack emotion"...

It's not about finding a rah rah coach, it's about finding a coach who can get his team to find that line of controlled anger...

I'm pissed at Joe for not finding that line with so much at stake..I'm pissed at him for not overriding Sherman as to how to utilize every inch of his qbs skillset..

I'm pissed at Ireland for not picking enough of the right players..

And I'm dissapointed in Ryan Tannehill.