1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Tidbit from Clayton on Coles

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    From a Q&A with Clayton:

That's an interesting speculation. It certainly could be they just did not want to give Coles the kind of money he asked for and did not see him as having that much value given his age, etc. But, thought I'd throw this out.

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I dont think theres any doubt the Trifecta is looking to Henne after this season. Im not sure if that factored into them not being interested in Coles though.

3. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    That is an interesting spin on it.

4. Jimi

Jimi Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Sounds just like an educated guess to me. What organazation doesnt hope to turn to the younger QB? Im guessing not signing Coles had slightly more to do with

"Laveranues Coles' four-year contract with the Bengals will pay him $9.75 million in the first year.

Coles wouldn't be hard to release after 2009, but his gamble to forgo a $6 million guaranteed salary from the Jets paid off big time. He'll get a $1.9 million salary, a $4.7 million roster bonus, and a $3 million signing bonus in the first season. The deal's total value is $27.5 million."

Not so much to do with the QB situation.

dolfan32323 and Nappy Roots like this.
  5. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Here is another theory.This regime is already on the books for an Expensive veteran WR who didnt pan out.

That would damper any enthusiasm to sign an even more expensive veteran WR who might not pan out.

And another theory.Coles has a reputation for mouthing off and being a whiner .Not exactly what Parcells would like to have in his team .

There could be any number of reasons why we were not interested in Coles but in the final analysis we are speculating.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  6. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Too much money IMO. I also think the trifecta want to develop their own receivers that will benifit the team in the long term, not another expensive receiver long in the tooth with a short term value.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    My theory is Parcell's would break out in a serious rash if two Wr were making over 2 million dollars per year on his roster.

Coles did say we wanted to develop Ginn as the reason why we didn't sign him, which is a shame, but they do seem to have a good eye for UDFA types and unknowns, they only flubbed in chooisng Wilford, the supposed productive veteran.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  8. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Right...

If you want a guy that can handle the ball you sign a Center! LOL

I do think he feels that its much easier to find skill players than quality big men.

BTW - I've mentioned before part of my job is to help players get placed on football scholarship at my school (Recruiting Coordinator). I'm always amazed that no matter how good a RB, QB, WR type of player is, for every 10 phone calls I make on one of them I only hear back from 2-3 of the schools contacted. However, for OL / DL I get back 7-8 phone calls on players. I think many coaches and programs feel like Bill does in that regard.

cnc66 and padre31 like this.
  9. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    What makes you say that? It is ALL speculation with the Coles story.If you know something we don't,let us know.:wink2:

10. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Sorry,I forgot. Coles is OLD and washed up.(that is "my" opinion)
    Just because our boy,Chad is the QB does'nt mean the Fins would have taken a chance on Coles in the first place.

11. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Sounds like some interesting speculation, but to me, I think it was simply a situation of our FO, not interesting in paying what Coles wanted to play. I feel were looking for a #1, big, tall, big play receiver. Not a guy like Coles who is similar to the receivers we already have

12. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Nope cost vs production was the decision..

13. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Theory indeed. We'll never know unless the FO comes out and says why they didn't want Coles.