1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Clark Kent, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I’m currently having a problem with my internet. For whatever reason, I have an unstable connection. Randomly pages won’t load and it will say that dns server couldn’t resolve or something like that. Anything I stream stops. Internet comes and goes very quickly. I’ve had this problem since I moved 2 months ago. However, every once in a while my internet stays stable. It will stay stable as long as I don’t reboot the PC. When I do that, I’m back to having an intermittent connection. This is extremely frustrating and I’m out of ideas…

I’ve had techs out and they’ve done everything they can to fix it. I don’t think the problem is on their end either tbh. I’ve never delt with this issue and I’ve used the same ISP multiple times at different places where I’ve lived.

Anyone think they can help me out?

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sounds like a PEBKAC error or an ID-10t query. Have you reset your modem port?

3. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    How do I do that? So far, I've released and renewed ip, flushed dns, updated drivers, uninstalled modem, reinstalled modem, etc... Pretty much everything before that I did all the basic stuff.

BTW: I have a docsis (SP?) 3 modem. No router. Mine broke, so until I get a new one, I'm directly plugged in.

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Sounds like a randomly generated reply to me. :lol:

Clark, the first thing you want to do is try a different device. If you have a smartphone or an iPad, or a laptop, or if you know anyone who has these, break them out and see if they experience the same issue. A laptop would be best, since you can also plug it in to your modem/router via network cable to see if the problem is with wired connections only.

You can also power cycle (unplug and replug) the modem and let it reacquire an internet connection.

If all of the above checks out, then it might be the computer itself. Run a virus scan, defrag, install and run CCleaner. Go into Control Panel -> Network Settings and run a connection repair.

If you still have problems, then it's the connection itself, and it's time to either escalate to a higher level of support or get a new ISP.

Clark Kent likes this.
  5. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
  6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Lol. I was just messing with you.:knucks:

PEBKAC stands for "problem exists between keyboard and chair" and ID-10t = idiot. I don't know anything about computers, but I had a friend who was IT so I know those terms they use on people.

7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    How long between the time your router broke and the time you were having intermittent connection issues?

Clark Kent likes this.
  8. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Router broke awhile back. Didn't matter though. When I moved last year, I got a new modem from Charter (Desides: Can't get new ISP, they're the only HS internet provider in my area) that was also a router. Thing worked perfectly.

When I moved 2 months ago, they gave me a new Docsis modem that wasn't a router. So I have to be directly plugged in until I get one. They should of given me one for free per company policy. But due to a bull**** technicality, I didn't get it. I tried to get my other modem back, but they won't do it.

Never had this problem until now. Been with Charter forever too in three different places. Remember the thread I made about bad gateway 502? I think it probably had something to do with my modem. I had to restart my PC (I knew that would **** me over) and all of a sudden my connection is unstable again. Charter has no idea wtf is going on.

Byron- I've changed my DNS multiple times. I've tried OpenGL and google. Neither are consistent in giving me stable connections. Something has to be wrong on my end. When I can get it to work, it works fine. When I restart my PC, it reverts back to unstable.

Desides- Done and done. Did all of things. I turned my laptop off and power cycled the modem. Waited until all the lights were stable and then waited 2 min more. Turned on laptop. I'm going to the gym right now, will report back if it's fixed or still being inconsistent.

9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    yeah I was going to suggest a virus. I'd do a boot time scan and a safe mode one.

10. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    lI was like "YES! Sounds like he knows his ****, maybe I'll get this fixed afterall" ahah. Can't be mad at your 1337 tech lingo.

Fin D likes this.
  11. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Have done multiple virus scans w/AVG. Have turned off firewall (back on now). I'm pretty sure I tried safe mode too. If I come back and have the same problem, I'll def. try that one.

12. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I'm not sure about avg but avast has a boot time scan. Might take a while, but I usually set it to default to remove all and kick it off when I leave the house for a couple of hours.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Hahahaha, now I feel bad.

I just always wanted to use those on someone.

14. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    As i was typing something out and hit reply, internet failed again... So I started in safe mode w/networking. Dong another virus scan. Be back in 2 hours or so.

15. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Try running a scan with Malware Bytes.

16. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Have you tried a different modem?

17. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
  18. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    try this video

[video=youtube;RGD6LNLMpIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RGD6LNLMpIQ[/video]

19. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's always possible that the network jack on your PC is malfunctioning or dying. Highly, highly unlikely, but possible. This is why wired tests with another PC or laptop are a huge deal.

What kind of computer do you have, how old is it, etc?

20. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Byroan: My IP is fine. Will try walmare bytes.

Phin: Yes, this is my second modem. Problems are the same regardless.

Desides: Dell XPS m1530. I got in 2008. Aunt works for a company called Rogers, gets discounts on dell products. I know Dell isn't great but I got it fully loaded at a sweet price (about a grand, I think it was worth 1700).

UPDATE: Got home from gym. AVG scanned everything, I'm good. Also, internet appears to be completely stable in safe mode... I read that you should disable advanced network service. Dell has that for some reason and it doesn't do **** except cause problems. Although I've never had this problem before, I've never directly hooked my laptop up to the modem either. I disabled it. And will restart in normal mode for a test.

UPDATE 2: Restarted laptop, all seems fine... WTF? lol... If I knew what to do to stop this from happening, I would feel so much better. If anyone still has ideas, I'm open to it.

UPDATE 3: DL'd malware bytes. Currently scanning. Internet is stable...

Also, can anyone tell me how to refresh PC/RAM without having to restart? Or is there any free programs that will get my RAM back from programs that I've closed out awhile back? If I don't restart for a week or so, laptop slows down a bit. Which is why I switched to Chrome from FF.

21. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Are there still kitten mittens available or what?

22. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Why? Is your cat making too much noise all the time? Is your cat constantly stomping around driving you crazy? Is your cat clawing at your furnitures? Think there’s no answer? You’re so stupid! There is! Kitten Mittons. Finally, there is an elegant, comfortable mitten for cats…. I couldn’t hear anything! Is your cat one-legged? Is your cat fat, skinny, or an in-between? That doesn’t matter! Cause one size fits all! Kitten Mittons! You’ll be smitten! So come on down to Paddy’s Pub. We’re the hoooooooommee of the original Kitten Mittons. Meeeeeeeeeeowwwww!

Pandarilla likes this.
  23. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    For whatever reason I saw your avatar and thought...
    [​IMG]