1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet set up

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Nappy Roots, Aug 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    So here's the story. I just got a used desk top. I have internet already through Verizon. The computer came with a wireless router. How can I get that desk top on the internet with out plugging it directly to the Verizon router. Can the wireless router pick up my Verizon internet?

2. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Do you have a modem. If so plug the router into the modem and run the ethernet from your pc to the router. The network card in the pc needs to be wireless or you could go out and get a wireless USB.

3. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Yea I have a modem but running a wire to it isn't an option...there's no way of the wireless router to pick up the wireless connection and relay it to the computer if its plugged in

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You need a wireless card inside the desktop computer to pick up the signal.

5. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    What Desides wrote. But, you'll want to make sure that the card picks up what your router broadcasts. The router will be labeled 802.11 and then a letter (a, b, g, or n) your card will need to match your router. Currently most cards will do multiple letters.

Also, if the wireless router came with a manual you should reset it and use the manual to setup security on the router. You should change the admin password of the router and setup encryption (setup a WEP or WPA password.) I'd also change your SSID (name your router calls it's self), but for home use I would not disable transmitting the SSID to make it easier to connect different devises to it. If your router did not come with a manual, Google it. The manual should be a free download. It's usually a pretty simple process. Often a router will come with software that will walk you through all of this.

6. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I don't understand the point of a wireless router if it can't pick up internet wirelessly and route to a computer

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    NR, if the router is blue tooth enabled, you could buy one of those 3 dollar blue tooth adapters and just plug it into the USB port and access the 'Net that way.

8. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    It's wireless from it to the computer not from the internet to it.

[​IMG]

Nappy Roots and Killerphins like this.
  9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Well done that is what I was trying to explain in my first response :up:

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What NR is saying:

Sounds like for whatever reason, he cannot hardwire his PC to his Verizon router.

Or is choosing not to do so, so why not just use a bluetooth adapter and an Ad Hoc network? Otherwise just use a USB wireless N adapter?

Maybe he doesn't want the long cords running all over his home?

:dunno:

BTW NR, "if" you do go the Bleutooth route, WEP and the rest of that stuff will make things far more complicated.

11. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

make sense...thanks...