1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview with Ireland

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mbmonk, Dec 1, 2009.

1. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Linky: http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/exclusive-jeff-ireland-qa

2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Nice. Please don't mortgage the franchise for one player.

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Saying what we all believe in IMHO.
    I think we are about due for striking the WR Mutha Lode :yes:

The Dolfan likes this.
  4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think he says what a lot of people forgot. EVERY team is looking for a big play wide receiver. Not just a WR but every team has holes to fill at every position.

Makes it incredibly hard to get and if you really want something to me it goes one of two ways. You can either pony up bunches of draft picks for a proven guy or you take risks building through the draft.

I'd rather it be the latter unless we're only one piece away from making a SB run.

Bpk likes this.
  5. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    If only someone would have drafted Ginn before we did. :lol:

I kid! I kid!

eric likes this.
  6. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    How unusual is it for a GM to publicly come out and say we need a player at position X?

Bpk likes this.
  7. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Im glad he is still scouting.
    Doesn't sit around on his ***.
    Do you see Snyder scouting?

8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    eventually, every NFL team spends the money on two or three needed pieces to compete @ the highest level, depending on the upcoming draft & expectations for the next season, the Dolphins front office will do so in 2010

9. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Sorry but that stuff means very little to me coming from a guy that blew the #44 pick in the draft on Pat White and who's #3 pick can't find the field on game day.

Maybe if they did a better job, we'd be playing the Pats this weekend for the division lead.....so he can shut up about culture and patience and find me a ****ing WR

10. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Snyder doesn't scout cause he's the owner. Ross doesn't scout.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  11. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    We lost to Buffalo because they had superior talent?

Why are you so angry right now?

LandShark13 likes this.
  12. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    If the trifecta are wondering how we blew the chance to defend the division title, all they need is a mirror. And you should be angry too....

13. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Maybe. But do you have to act like entitled child about it?

Do you realize how you look when you make a comment like that? Telling Jeff Ireland to 'shut up and bring you a f-ing WR'.. come on man. Really?

Also the reason we won the division last year was because Brady was hurt and we played a soft schedule. If Brady was healthy wouldn't the Pats have been the best team in the AFC East last year? This years team is better than last. We have possibly have found a franchise QB. How long has it been since that was even a remote possibility? There are plenty of bad moves the FO has made, but they have made some pretty damn good ones to. We have an anchor at left tackle, we have a QB of the future, we have the RB's ( hilliard was a 6th) and the Oline to compete. This team was in shambles when they took over.

I understand your frustration, but things aren't THAT bad. It's just over for this year for us, sadly.

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will the Miami Dolphins.

Bpk, LandShark13 and Delfin Alejandro like this.
  14. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA

Yup. And throwing a hissy fit ain't gonna make it happen one second sooner.

Delfin Alejandro likes this.
  15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Two things i found interesting..

Other roles for Pat white"....hopefully X factor during ronnie brown led wildcat.

His trip to syracuse...Checkin out Mike williams i suppose..kid is talented.

jetssuck likes this.
  16. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    You obviously DON'T understand and have a much rosier outlook on the current situation than I do......fact is, if they don't start doing a better job in the off season, this regime will NOT see a SB in their time.

And yeah I told him to shut up, same goes for the BS excuses from Sparano....I'm tired of hearing it. Tired of hearing ridiculous things like "we're happy with the group we have", when they were asked about WR leading up to the trade deadline......tired of hearing how they're developing Pat White as a QB. Stuff like that doesn't lead you forward, it costs you opportunities, like last Sunday losing to a team like the Bills. You obviously have no clue as to how far we really are away from contending. We're not even close.....

Yeah they've improved the team, but unless they do an even better job, all you will see for their efforts is a pretender, not quite good enough to contend.

As far as your remark about acting like a child or whatever it was your smartass had to say.......I didn't get personal with you and if you don't like reading it, put me on ignore. I'm entitled to my opinion and as long as I don't get personal or violate the TOS, my opinion is just as valid as any and you need to keep your opinions of me off the forum.

17. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Teach Pat White to be a WR or just see what u can get for him in the off season, even if its a late pick. Time for them own up to getting carried away with this gimmick philosophy and admit he was a serious waste of a very valuable pick.

Keeping him at QB and having him trot onto the field to run the spread is making them look stupid.

18. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Yeah cuz sitting back with blinders on during the Wanny, Saban, Camoron days worked so well for some of you...

Nothing I said can't be found elsewhere.....plenty of ppl out there seeing the same things I am.

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Dead wrong on that one JS, we have waited what 10 years to have a starting Qb who can actually play Qb in the NFL with no limitations?

PW can eventually be a starting Qb in the NFL and as such, I could care less when he was chosen, as long as he can fill that role if called upon.

Aw cripes, we blew it against the Bills, it happens, welcome to the NFL were you do not always win the games you are supposed to win.

As for Turner, now THAT we can agree on, I can deal with locking down the Qb position, I cannot handle the nonsense about "he cannot get off the jam" this g uy was a #3 pick in a position of need and he cannot sniff the field.

Someone page the Regime that there are no redshirts in the NFL.

20. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    "maybe"............we hope. Still, you want to play for a ring? Well then you don't use mid round picks to obtain MORE complimentary WR's when you are DYING for a number one guy. And you certainly don't use the #44 over all on a QB that will likely have a hard time holding onto the #2 QB position

Dude, you can't be serious...White will be lucky to maintain a back up role throughout his career. I could easily see him spending the rest of his years as a number 3 QB.

fins4o8 and BuckeyeKing like this.
  21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is what kills me, that is not a fact, not at all, the same sort of thing was said about Vince Young and yet all the guy does is when football games, and yet "White will be lucky" "likely to have a hard time".

Based on...what?

Wishful thinking? Projection? Psychic Friends Hotline?

22. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Blah I dont this mortgage the future. SO we wait for a few players to come in from the draft. Spend a year or two getting up to speed and than were ready for the superbowl? Nope you see now your running backs are old, your defensive line is old, and your offensive line is in flex...

The team is always leaking and you need to plug it up somehow waiting for a competent repair man to finish school and hope he can fix the problem when there are Excellent technicians looking for a chance isn't going to work anymore.

This isn't the 80;s or 90's even everything changes so fast you need to BUY some of those players now..

padre31 likes this.
  23. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    his inability to play the position?

jetssuck likes this.
  24. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    You first padre...lol

Cuz that's what I was thinking when u typed this:

He's not a starting caliber, NFL offense, QB.....he was a highly touted prospect as a PLAY MAKER.....which we have failed to use him as. He learns to run routes and catch the ball or he'll have a very lack luster career as "maybe" a #2 QB.........maybe.

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Based on...what?

You quoted my post, it included that part, what do you base that upon?

26. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Well, I would say on everything that I have seen and read about him so far this year. I could be wrong but I have seen NOTHING that would make me believe we didnt make a mistake taking him in the 2nd round.

jetssuck likes this.
  27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Five throws?

You can judge a Qb on five throws?

unluckyluciano and The Dolfan like this.
  28. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Absolutely....the ONLY thing that kept this pick from being a total joke at the time of his selection was the fact he was being deemed a "play maker". He couldn't sniff #44 over all as just a QB.

And so far all he has done is make the FO look bad........and not just for drafting him but for the way they have stuck to their guns about how he's a QB only and blah blah blah. Which is a joke.......like sending him out there to run the spread for 2 yds a pop. That's just embarrassing

Ppl can archive this and throw it in my face if I'm wrong but I say if the kid isn't catching passes next year, he'll be our number 3, behind Thigpen ( or anybody that isnt the smallest guy on the field). Personally I think the staff and White both are too stubborn to make the move to WR and if that's the case, I'd trade him for ANYTHING I could get in the off season and just admit that it was a mistake. I'd rather have the roster spot than watch him out there pretending he's in college...

29. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    This guy has bust written all over him.For one he looks like a high school player out there skinny and frail as can be.We already had henne why the hell did we draft this guy for in the second round when had other holes to fill.
    Do any of you see him starting over henne in the next five years?Your answer is probally know.So why did we draft a qb we know is going to be career back up in the second round?Am i missing something here?

jetssuck likes this.
  30. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Padre.......do you REALLY want to see this guy out there running a college offense and taking the ball out of Henne's hands? How many throws would you like to see him make? If the answer is none and that you would rather just leave that to Henne.....then you would be correct...lol

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What I want is for White to be given the same opportunity that Chad Henne had of sitting out for a year while learning the professional nuances of playing QB for a living.

I don't particularly deal in "fair" when it comes to a player, I do deal in "not enough information to have an informed opinion".

That and I have some differing ideas about Qb development, the NFL sucks at developing Qb's the reason for that is they rush guys out to play who are not ready to play, it can take years, 3 yrs 4 yrs for a player to internalize how to play Qb in the NFL.

We saw that in San Francisco when Walsh was running herd, ditto Green Bay, how many years did Matt Hasselback tear up the preseason only to take a seat behind Favre? Aaron Rodgers sat what, 2 yrs? 3 yrs?

For me, the majority of measurables in Qb's are overrated, football IQ, pocket feel, toughness, quick decision making, the ability to improvise are all more important in NFL Qb's than stuff like arm strength, height, what have you, at least imho.

Bpk and 2k5 like this.
  32. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ah yeah, because you can really make an accurate gauge on a rookie quarterback who has had the type of stuff he was drafted for scaled back due to the necessity of him being your #2.

Seriously, I get that people develop their own little crushes in the draft and then drafting a player that breaks with convention, but give me a ****ing break.

There's quite a bit of expertise, and beyond that, actual production that running the kind of stuff White was drafted to run in the NFL can work.

33. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    And you've got exactly what evidence to back this up? There wasn't a whole hell of alot in terms of expert opinion deriding this one.

Ah yes, because you know when you've got a player running the ball giving them one or two carries a game is really giving him sufficient opportunity to get going.

Oh, ok, you've swayed me now that you've emphatically said that you don't think White will be very good with nothing much to back it up with. I wasn't buying it just now until repeated it for the fifteenth time and turned it into some sort of sorites.

34. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Use it in the first half then
    Don't wait till crucial moments
    Take the heat off Rick
    If you have to put Pat White on the field use that early
    Burning downs late is dumb and pointless

35. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    No, here's the deal... He's entitled to his opinions on YOUR opinions as long as he isn't getting personal or violating the TOS.

He's also right by the way. Stomping your feet and "yelling" on an internet message board about accountability is about as far as you can get from a profitable endevour without arguing about Yu-Gi-Oh characters.

This kind of discontent with the teams performance thus far is a not serious argument, it's a serious disconnect from reality. Statistically speaking, teams that have a big turnaround from one year to the next tend to drop off the next season. The Ravens and Falcons are having the same issue, and they started off quite a bit further along than the Dolphins.

36. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Three plays...the 30 yd run, the option to RW and the QB draw vs the Jets. The rest have been abysmal

And how long do you really think that it will take for them just to completely smother him? This isn't college and Pat White isn't big enough to withstand getting tackled by linemen on a regular basis. The kids talent is what he can do wth the ball in the open field and so far we've been able to get him out there once....that's just not enough and I can't see how they can justify giving him and that formation the snaps.....I also can't see why we would put him in the spread and pass, not with Henne standing there on the sideline. That just looks ridiculously dumb on the part of the coaches....I'm talking Ricky Williams throwing a pass on first and goal dumb.

I don't see where we need to wait for White to develop, he just is what he is.....an undersized college QB that's a shifty runner with a nose for the end zone and big plays. A player that most scouts were anxious to see how he looked running routes.Using him in a multi purpose role and as a play maker is the ONLY way you can justify his selection at #44 over all. If you're drafting him as a QB he's a huge project to get NFL ready and at best a 5th rounder. And that's being generous I think....

Our coaches have helped make this into the joke of a pick that it is.....it absolutely baffles me that they have persisted to develop him as a QB only from the very start. The first question they should have asked him was if we take you early and give you a contract for WAAAAAY more than what you should be expecting, would you be willing to take on a multi-purpose role.....would you be willing to let us also develop you as a receiver? And if he was unwilling then just move on......the way they are using him and how they are projecting him, is far more stupid than drafting him was.

The kid does have value, they just refuse to recognize what that value really is......and it's not at QB.

37. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Here's the problem with that... Basically nothing you said there has any root in reality.

-----
    Falcons game-
    Misses deep pass 2nd and 6th, Pennington incomplete for punt next play.

Colts-
    Pat White in on two plays, both drives result in field goals

San Diego- No snaps

Buffalo- Pat White only used to kneel the ball down.

Jets- Used on final drive that went for a touchdown

Patriots- Had a drive where his Pistol snaps drove the length of the field, his other appearances were either on 1st down or a drive that resulted in a touchdown.

Bucaneers- First serious he was in on went for a field goal, second ended in Ronne Brown fumble/injury.

Carolina- No snaps.

Buffalo- White used on 1st down, Henne throws INT 2nd down.

-------

There's no evidence that using Pat White has hurt the offense. The team has largely scored on drives he's been involved in(Even when his contribution has been negligible or even negative)

38. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Do I really need to reiterate the fact that you don't give a rusher a snap at a time and expect for him to light the world on fire like that? What do you think a rookies statline would look like if you rushed him once a game?

Pat White is 6'0" 190. Do I need to rattle through a list of skill players in that size range? 'cause if I do I'll be starting with the NFL's current leader rusher sitting at a whopping 10 pounds heavier than White.

Oh yeah, and there's absolutely no evidence this is the case either. He handled his 684 rushes in college pretty well. He had some injuries, but if it continues like that in the pro's then it's really a non issue.

I'm pretty sure the correct response to me challenging you to post something factual rather than empathic opinion probably isn't what you are doing here.

Most? Really? What was the percentage on that one?

Because I can link you a whole host of actual quantifiable, reliable reports of Pat White impressing people as a quarterback.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-combinewinners022209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...retty-good-Yes-at-quarterback-?urn=nfl,143391
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/02/22/snaps.combine/index.html
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/129768-combine-could-set-career-path-for-pat-white
    http://cfn.scout.com/2/841547.html

Directly contradicted by multiple sources in that link above, but don't let that stop you.

2k5 likes this.
  39. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    lol...u need a hug bro?

He did get personal....maybe you should take another look or maybe you chose to ignore it because well you obviously don't like my take on Pat White. And then you had to take it even further with some non sense about Yogi Bear or something....I don't seem to be the one with the problem.

I wasn't stomping my feet, could care less if you don't like my opinion or how I put it and your replies to my post said nothing but you disagree and that I didn't have enough of a sample to judge him by. Mostly you were just using it as an opportunity to grandstand and be condescending.....and if that continues, you'll be arguing with yourself on the subject because I won't pay any attention to you.

How about you tell us why you think White can be successful instead of worrying about whether or not I'm enjoying the kool aid as much as you. That's my business, my right...you wanna shake your pom poms until the tassles fall out go for it. I'll worry about me...

40. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

[​IMG]

There's your NFL leading rusher....much stronger and much faster. Nice try....well not really.

I'm not gonna spend anytime answering any of the above because to me all of this was and is obvious.....and since you decided to try and make a point of discrediting me, don't forget to man up down the road when the Fins either start developing him as a receiver or he ends up as a career back up that never had any real chance of a successful career as a starter. I'll damn sure remind you......peace