1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Investing in the stock market from home?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Zippy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Zippy

Zippy The Man in Black. Club Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Sugar Grove, OH
    Can anyone give me some advice on investing from home? I have a IRA working well, A Roth IRA doing ok through my financial advisor but I think I would like to learn about doing some investing on my own. I am only looking to use some play money and see if I can grow it alittle bit. If I get comfortable, I will add to it.

If anyone can give me any input, it would be very much appreciated.

2. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Another alternative is the forex market. Currencies rise and fall in value and some people play it like the stock market. Nowadays, there are close to $4 trillion traded on a daily basis worldwide. There are also brokers who specialize in forex.

A friend of mine has started a forex webpage. Check it out.
    http://forexreviewjournal.com

Section126 and Zippy like this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Are you thinking of just buying stocks online or trying to make a few dollars playing the market?

If trying to make a few bucks, I read the excellent "Day Traders' Survival Guide" by Christopher Farrell and while old, published in 2000, it does give one a feel for the experience and some of the pitfalls and other things to watch out for..try Amazon for a copy, I paid 1.00 for my copy.

If one is patient, penny stocks and warrants can be a lucrative field..but it is highly specialized.

Zippy likes this.
  4. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    yahoo finance has some fantastic information on investing as do other investment sights.

Zippy likes this.
  5. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    if you're just playing with a few bucks, what the heck. You may learn something valuable. Just one thing tho, watch the online stock quotes. If you're trying to time it just right, most stock quotes I've seen are on a 20 minute delay. It would be better to have everything in real time. When you buy, it's done right now. Same with selling. I've seen it happen where someone buys a stock, only to find out the price jumped 5% before it posted.

Zippy likes this.
  6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I only invest in funeral homes.

7. Zippy

Zippy The Man in Black. Club Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Sugar Grove, OH

How's that working out? I hear people are dying to get in. :lol:

MikeHoncho likes this.
  8. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Gambooooooooolllll!!!!!!!!

9. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    A tip.

. Buy about 5k worth of some worthless penny stock.

. Create many aliases and go onto as many pump and dump sites and tout this stock.

. As soon as you get a 15% uptick...you dump 500 shares at a time till the stock stagnates, then you dump it all.

Rinse and repeat.

. If arrested, exclaim in an incredulous manner "That's illegal?"

Tone_E, Boik14, Fin-Omenal and 4 others like this.
  10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    DO NOT forget that last step

Zippy likes this.
  11. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    The SEC requires them to be delayed 20 minutes to prevent day traders from having an edge over brokers. When you go to purchase the stock, it actually gives you the current price right before you confirm your purchase.

Another thing you have to look for is what is called '"free-riding". An example is if you buy stock A on monday and then sell stock A on monday. It technically takes 3 days for the money and stock to change hands. Your proceeds from stock A (good or bad) can be used to buy stock B but you cannot sell stock B until the settlement from stock A comes back (again, 3 days). The reason is this, since the money isn't technically in your account yet, you're using a loan to buy stock B, but there is no interest charged, so they do not allow you to sell until the money is back and on its way to stock B. Thats why the offer a margin account. its basically a line of credit that the brokerage gives you to use in the meantime of settlement dates. its charged interest but allows you to reinvest your proceeds immediately. basically you could buy stock A, sell stock A, buy stock B sell stock B, buy stock C and sell stock C all in one day with the same money you started with. If you dont have a margin account, then you are "free-riding" and they will freeze your account.

DeDolfan and Boik14 like this.