1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iphone 4 VS Samsumg Galaxy S

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Dannyg28, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    Hey guys, i currently have the Iphone 3g, have have it for little over a year and am looking to upgrade it. Two phones that have caught my attention have been the iphone 4(obviously) and the new Galaxy S by samsung.

From what i hear the battery life, screen resolution and number of apps are in the favor of the iphone. However from various reviews i read, and first hand experience, the galaxy seems to have much deeper contrast on its screen than the iphone does.

The andriod operating system and marketplace also intrigue me, with the ability to have widgets on screen and less restrictions on the kind of apps that are able to be downloaded, as one of the things that always bugged me about apple was their draconian policy when it came to the kinds of apps one could make and download for the phone.

As it is im sort of on the fence, anyone who has had first hand experience with both of these phones that could give me their advice would be much appreciated.

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I love my droid incredible. Seriously there is nothing you cannot do with this phone. When my PC crashed in June I was without one for a few weeks with my droid as my only source of internet access. That I was able to moderate the site as well as post and multitask for the better part of three weeks on just my droid spoke volumes to me in terms of what this phone does in terms of speed and multitasking ability.

The only drawback I have found is battery time and I was able to find a decent solution for that in the form of an extended battery.

Dannyg28 likes this.
  3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    battery life vs reception, which is more important to you? I have an Iphone and I love it. I also live in LA and the reception is not as good as Verizon. I'm assuming Verizon is the company that you'd be dealing with if you got a Samsung Galaxy5? But the battery life is better for an Iphone...

Dannyg28 likes this.
  4. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    the galaxy is sprints.

Dannyg28 likes this.
  5. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Note that Boik isn't even praising the phone you're asking about. :lol:

The Galaxy S tries to mimic some of the iPhone 4's new features, like the Retina Display. It falls short, and in the end feels more like a commodity phone than anything else. It's not even the best Android phone, so comparing it to the iPhone 4 isn't quite accurate: you're better off comparing the Galaxy S to other Android phones, and then the Android ecosystem as a whole to the iPhone ecosystem. That's about as apples-to-apples as you can get.

My pick is of course the iPhone 4, but I'm biased on that topic, just as Boik is. (Boik works for Verizon, I own an iPhone 4.)

Dannyg28 likes this.
  6. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    to be fair I think everyone is waiting for the ideal: Verizon + I phone and I have no idea if its happening.

As far as droid goes...and he does mention it, its great.

7. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm not sure the grass is greener (or redder, in this case) on the other side.

Lab3003 likes this.
  8. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    All of the carriers have a version of the Galaxy S.

9. Dannyg28

Jan 4, 2008
    For those who care, which i don't think is very many of you, i eneded up going with the Vibrant(t-mobile) variant of the galaxy. I was able to get it slightly cheaper than i would have gotten the i-phone 4, and was slightly leaning towards it for the andriod operating system, which while maybe not as simplistic and user friendly as the iphone, i feel suits me better.

I appreciate your guy's advice.

Oh, and Desides,please don't hurt me.

Boik14 likes this.
  10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Mor is a much bigger Apple freak than me. He'd hurt you. I'm just shaking my head. :pity:

:shifty:

Hope you enjoy the phone.

mor911 and Dannyg28 like this.
  11. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    whatever makes you happy bro. :up:

Dannyg28 likes this.
  12. Siegfried

Siegfried Banned

Jan 12, 2011
    Hi DannyG28,
    I have a Samsung Galaxy, too.
    Don''t like Apple products at all, cause they're too expensive.
    Samsung and Andoid manage it better.
    Last year I thought that I have to apply for a visa and travel to Asia to get one...now they're available anywhere..

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I have Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. Apple could suck a big one.

I really like the phone. The only negative I have is the fact that it is still 2.1. The upgrade to 2.2 should have been in October.

14. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'm hurt and offended. I keed...

th

15. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Everything I have read says different things about whether the Captivate should support 2.2 (Froyo software) and I havent been able to find a conclusive answer on whether it should support 3.0 (Gingerbread) when that launches. I know the Verizon version of the Captivate (which is basically the Samsung Fascinate) supports 2.2 but I have no idea if that will support 3.0 yet. I know a few carriers let the updates for software just get pushed right to the phone and it will ask you to install the software now or later but I dont know if ATT is one of them.

16. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Nexus S comes with Gingerbread, I think the only real change from the other Galaxy phones is a slightly faster CPU. I cannot imagine that the Captivate would not support both 2.2 and 2.3, it just depends on how much AT&T wants to change the OS before they let their customers have it. For example I imagine they'd get rid of the tethering, or at least control it. Also, Gingerbread is the 2.3 version of Android, so it's more of an incremental feature update. 3.0 has been labeled Honeycomb.

17. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I love my Galaxy S

18. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The Samsung Galaxy S (T-Mobile) is beautiful.

Really wish I could get that phone. Sprint only has the Epic variant, which has the full qwerty keyboard. Too thick for my taste. The Galaxy S is very slender.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    From what I have read the Captivate should have Froyo. In fact it has rolled out in asian countries and started in Europe countries before getting rolled back. They keep pushing it back.

As for Gingerbread, I have only read rumors.

20. Dannyg28

Jan 4, 2008
    How is this thread still alive?

21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    If they rolled it back in Europe it could be because they found something wrong with that platform for that particular phone? Thats the only logical conclusion I could arrive at though i really dont see why it would be a problem with that particular phone when its not much different then the Fascinate for Verizon. Maybe you should ask ATT's support staff?

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    of course there is a problem and they are pretty tight lipped about it. Still they haven't mentioned anything about Froyo not going on the phone yet. Samsung is still saying that it will be on there.

23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Since this thread around, I’ll go ahead and leave this here. When they say Android is open, they’re referring to your wallet.

24. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Here is a statement from Samsung on the matter. (addressing a different rumor)
    http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20028478-251.html

Also, I'm not sure why you seem to equate "open" with meaning free or unlicensed? Once a manufacturer or carrier gets a hold of the OS they make a bunch of proprietorial changes to the OS before they release it. They aren't giving up control anymore than Apple is. If you want true open source experience on a Galaxy S phone, buy a Nexus S which comes with 2.3. Right now I'm leaning that way, though I'll might hold out for the Vibrant 4g S from T mobile. It's data rate cap is going to be raised to 21Mbps. Nice. i'll never come close to needing that though, so I may just go with stock 2.3 and open source updates.

25. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Ah, the good ol’ “no comment.” Not exactly very inspirational.

I’m mocking Samsung for putting a price tag on what is intended to be a free update. Everything about Android updates is proving to be a total illusion, particularly the OTA update process supposedly being easier and better than the iOS model of downloading through iTunes (something like 0.4% of Android phones are running the latest version).

Edit: Samsung denies that they’re charging for Android updates. I’m tempted to parse their statement and point out that they’re not lying: they currently are not charging for Android updates. The rumor is that they are attempting to charge for Android updates, so far unsuccessfully, and therefore holding back Froyo until they can wring some blood from a stone. I’ll take them at their word for now, but whatever the reason, it seems like the only way to actually get Android updates in a timely fashion is to own a Google-created phone.