1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone question

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by TiP54, Jan 28, 2010.

1. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Thinking about buying an Iphone, and there is one thing that is bugging me. In the store, they are expensive as hell, but ive seen some "brand new" online for around 200 bucks. So if buy one online that is claimed to be "unlocked for at&t users" i could stick my sim card in it, and just pay for a larger data plan?
    Or am i way off?

[edit]
    thread title fail :D

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The iPhone 3GS starts at $199, the exact same price you're seeing on eBay. What's the problem? If you're really cheap and desperate, just get the old iPhone 3G for $99. AT&T still offers those.

As for data plans, AT&T only offers one for the iPhone: unlimited for $30/month. You must have a data plan when you get an iPhone: they won't let you use the phone otherwise.

TiP54 likes this.
  3. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Its not about being cheap, its about not paying more than I have to, if something that is 50 dollars more than ive seen it, why pay the extra 50?
    I want the new one, (32 gigs is it?
    And i think it starts around 360 IIRC

4. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I just got mine and they were $99 for the 3G and $199 for the 3GS.

I got the 3G (because I WAS trying to be cheap) and am perfectly happy with it (or as happy as one can be with AT&T's service).

TiP54 likes this.
  5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    A 32GB 3GS will run you $299, not $360.

The old iPhone 3G is $99, the 16GB 3GS is $199, the 32GB 3GS is $299. I use a 16GB 3GS and can barely fill 5GB, let alone 32GB.

TiP54 and Firesole like this.
  6. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i am pretty sure you cant put you own sim card in it

TiP54 likes this.
  7. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    DO NOT BUY WITH CONTRACT RIGHT NOW! Trust me. The iPhone 4G is coming out around June or July and it will be a significant upgrade over 3GS. New model and all. You definitely want to be able to sign new or upgrade when that becomes available. I got tired of my 3GS, so I went out and bought a Nexus One straight from Google unlocked (contract was over, so I hopped on T-Mobile without contract and I'm saving $20 per month for the same plan), but I'm definitely going to hop back onto AT&T when the 4G comes out.

This is a rumored mock up of what it could, and hopefully will... look like...

[​IMG]

TiP54 likes this.
  8. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    ^ I thiink the iChat camera, OLED screen, 4G ready, and removable battery are all already confirmed. But I heard it might have a 5 MP camera and will come up to 64 GB.

It better have a 5 MP camera because my Nexus One and every other Android phone coming in 2010 does.

TiP54 likes this.
  9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Or, you can wait till Sept and see what is coming ouit next.
    Trying to stay up with the newest phone is just like watching PC's leapfrog each other 5-10 years ago.
    Unless you can afford a brand new one every 3-6 months, its impossible.

TiP54 likes this.
  10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That mockup you posted is one of the least Apple-like things I have ever seen. It won't look like that. At all. Whoever made that is a closet troll with a Zune HD fetish.

Nothing hardware-related about the next iPhone is confirmed. An LED flash camera and 5 megapixel capability are rumored, and a capacity upgrade to 32GB on the low end and 64GB on the high end are pretty much a given, but neither of these are "confirmed" in any way.

LTE, aka 4G, won't debut until 2011, and it'll be a very limited rollout even then. Further, there are no SOCs that support EDGE, 3G, and LTE, so you can't fall back to 3G and EDGE when you can't get an LTE signal. Apple can wait until 2011, even 2012 before adding LTE capability.

And I hope beyond hope that the next iPhone doesn't have an OLED screen. Dirty little secret about OLED displays: they are unreadable in even moderate light. Want to use your phone outside? Better have photographic reflexes, because you won't be able to see a thing on the display. When Microsoft unveiled the Zune HD, they kept the demo units in an almost totally dark room to disguise the fact that OLED is unusable in light.

Lastly, a front-facing camera for video calls has been rumored for 2 years with nothing to show for it. Not saying it can't or won't happen, just don't hold your breath.

Megapixel count is overrated, especially on cell phone cameras. The barrier to cell phone picture quality is the size of the lens, not the megapixel count. Let's say the next iPhone supports 5 MP photos; you'll have the exact same amount of light entering the lens, but more pixels to fill out. This results in lesser image quality, because you're trying to create a bigger image out of a smaller amount of light entering the lens.

3 megapixels is more than enough for a cell phone camera. Your pictures will look better when the lenses get bigger. Given that we're talking about cell phones, that's extremely unlikely.

TiP54 likes this.