Ireland: Tannehill a “great kid,” but Dolphins won’t be “pressured”
77 replies
From PFT...
Ireland: Tannehill a “great kid,” but Dolphins won’t be “pressured”
Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland talked up Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill today, but he also sounded a note of caution about just how aggressive Miami might be to acquire him.
“He’s a great kid. He’s smart, tough, has a good family background,” Ireland said of Tannehill.
But Ireland also made clear that the Dolphins are going to stick to their draft board and take the player they think is the best, and they’re not going to feel any sense of desperation about either trading up for Tannehill or taking him with the eighth overall pick.
“There are times you should go after a first-round quarterback, but you shouldn’t be pressured into it,” Ireland said.
There’s been talk that Tannehill has climbed up draft boards since the season ended, but Ireland said the Dolphins’ draft board more or less has the same players in the same places now as they did at the end of the college football season.
“Very few change drastically,” Ireland said.
This year’s draft clearly has two elite quarterback prospects in Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, followed by four players who have separated themselves from the pack in USC left tackle Matt Kalil, Alabama running back Trent Richardson, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne and Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon. Tannehill is the wild card near the top of the draft.
That’s seven players, which might indicate that the Dolphins are in a position where they’re likely to miss out on all the elite prospects with the eighth overall pick. But Ireland is expressing confidence.
“There are certainly some glaring things that are hitting me this year,” Ireland said. “I have a pretty good idea of what I want at No. 8.”
I am not a big fan of Ireland but I will have a lot more respect for him if he actually drafted a player at eight who can come in and play immediately. Instead of over reaching for Tannehill, who may or may not ever be a starter in the NFL. Hopefully Ross won't demand that Ireland select a QB in the first round just to satisfy fans who seem content with drafting a second tier QB just so they can be happy to see the Dolphins use a first round pick on this position.
If Barkley and Jones had not remained in college, Tannehill would be seen as the fifth rated QB in the draft and a second round selection. That is where he should be drafted and taking him at eight in round one is far higher than he should be selected. Hopefully Ireland understands this and he refuses to listen to the demands of the fans to take a QB in the first round.
Of course if Philbin and Sherman are sold on Tannehill and Ireland is convinced by these two men to draft Tannehill. I will certainly accept it because it is their jobs on the line and not mine. Hopefully if they are sold on Tannehill, he becomes the QB they think he can be and not just another first round QB bust.
"jw3102 wrote:
I am not a big fan of Ireland but I will have a lot more respect for him if he actually drafted a player at eight who can come in and play immediately. Instead of over reaching for Tannehill, who may or may not ever be a starter in the NFL. Hopefully Ross won't demand that Ireland select a QB in the first round just to satisfy fans who seem content with drafting a second tier QB just so they can be happy to see the Dolphins use a first round pick on this position.
If Barkley and Jones had not remained in college, Tannehill would be seen as the fifth rated QB in the draft and a second round selection. That is where he should be drafted and taking him at eight in round one is far higher than he should be selected. Hopefully Ireland understands this and he refuses to listen to the demands of the fans to take a QB in the first round.
Of course if Philbin and Sherman are sold on Tannehill and Ireland is convinced by these two men to draft Tannehill. I will certainly accept it because it is their jobs on the line and not mine. Hopefully if they are sold on Tannehill, he becomes the QB they think he can be and not just another first round QB bust.
I disagree, Tannehill would be the 4th rated quarterback and probably still be in play for the 8th pick as there is no way Cleveland would pass on Barkley.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"jw3102 wrote:
I am not a big fan of Ireland but I will have a lot more respect for him if he actually drafted a player at eight who can come in and play immediately. Instead of over reaching for Tannehill, who may or may not ever be a starter in the NFL. Hopefully Ross won't demand that Ireland select a QB in the first round just to satisfy fans who seem content with drafting a second tier QB just so they can be happy to see the Dolphins use a first round pick on this position.
If Barkley and Jones had not remained in college, Tannehill would be seen as the fifth rated QB in the draft and a second round selection. That is where he should be drafted and taking him at eight in round one is far higher than he should be selected. Hopefully Ireland understands this and he refuses to listen to the demands of the fans to take a QB in the first round.
Of course if Philbin and Sherman are sold on Tannehill and Ireland is convinced by these two men to draft Tannehill. I will certainly accept it because it is their jobs on the line and not mine. Hopefully if they are sold on Tannehill, he becomes the QB they think he can be and not just another first round QB bust.
Lol. Yeah and if Marino was younger and coming out now Tanny would the 6th rated QB. And if Peyton was coming out now Tanny would be the 7th rated QB. Hell if the next Unitas came out now instead of the future, Tanny would drop to the 8th rated QB.
And you people want to draft the 8TH QB prospect in this imaginary situation!!!!!!!!!!!
so which of the top 7 is likely to fall? if its richardson what do we do if nobody trades down? lol draft him and move bush to our number 1 wr?
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
I disagree, Tannehill would be the 4th rated quarterback and probably still be in play for the 8th pick as there is no way Cleveland would pass on Barkley.
no, you'd have to gage what other teams would take a quarterback in the first round and you'd also have an extra top prospect dropping down a few spots.
"dsteve wrote:
no, you'd have to gage what other teams would take a quarterback in the first round and you'd also have an extra top prospect dropping down a few spots.
There are six top prospects. Adding Barkley would make it seven.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
“He’s a great kid. He’s smart, tough, has a good family background,” Ireland said of Tannehill.
That, ladies and gentlemen, is the TROLL GAZE of the century.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
“he’s a great kid. He’s smart, tough, has a good family background,” ireland said of tannehill.
guys his mom isn't a hooker we're good!
*edit - beaten to the punch hahaha.
"Finascious D wrote:
Lol. Yeah and if Marino was younger and coming out now Tanny would the 6th rated QB. And if Peyton was coming out now Tanny would be the 7th rated QB. Hell if the next Unitas came out now instead of the future, Tanny would drop to the 8th rated QB.
And you people want to draft the 8TH QB prospect in this imaginary situation!!!!!!!!!!!
The point is that in comparison to other prospects within the same time frame, Tannehill isn't all that good of a prospect. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the logic, but that is how it should be viewed. It's not quite as bad logic as some make it seem.
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
"Alex44 wrote:
The point is that in comparison to other prospects within the same time frame, Tannehill isn't all that good of a prospect. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the logic, but that is how it should be viewed. It's not quite as bad logic as some make it seem.
The logic is fine. The application of that logic is more useless than Marc Columbo on an o-line.
"thisperishedmin wrote:
guys his mom isn't a hooker we're good!
*edit - beaten to the punch hahaha.
I think Ireland mentioned Tannehill's family, not as a reference to Dez Bryant, but to razz Dolphin fans by reminding them of Ted Ginn....or maybe not.
Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin
"Finascious D wrote:
The logic is fine. The application of that logic is more useless than Marc Columbo on an o-line.
I agree and disagree.
I think it says something that a lot of better prospects are coming out. It pushes him farther down the ladder of NFL QB's. However if you think he is capable of leading a team you take him regardless of how he compares of course.
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
"Finascious D wrote:
Lol. Yeah and if Marino was younger and coming out now Tanny would the 6th rated QB. And if Peyton was coming out now Tanny would be the 7th rated QB. Hell if the next Unitas came out now instead of the future, Tanny would drop to the 8th rated QB.
And you people want to draft the 8TH QB prospect in this imaginary situation!!!!!!!!!!!
My point is that Tannehill is nothing but a second round talent and taking him at eight in the first round doesn't make sense to me. You obviously feel differently and while we disagree, I respect your opinion. My opinion is that Tannehill will never be a top tier QB in the NFL and I would rather see the Dolphins draft a player who has a much better chance of coming in and being a long term starter at another position on the team with their first round selection.
I think if the Dolphins draft Tannehill, they will still be looking for their QB of the future when the 2013 draft comes around. Therefore if they are intent on drafting a second tier QB in this draft, they can always draft Weeden, Cousins, or Osweiler in a later round and they will be getting a QB who will end up being as effective in the NFL as Tannehill will be, IMO.
"Alex44 wrote:
I agree and disagree.
I think it says something that a lot of better prospects are coming out. It pushes him farther down the ladder of NFL QB's. However if you think he is capable of leading a team you take him regardless of how he compares of course.
Not really.
Look the draft is a gamble. Luck could be a bust. He could get injured or fold under the immense pressure of having to be better than Peyton who is in the discussion for GOAT. Not drafting a QB because there may be a better QB coming some other time is silly. If you could guarantee Barkley will have 100% chance to make it and Tanny won't, then he has a point. This isn't like choosing between two different cell phones.
"jw3102 wrote:
My point is that Tannehill is nothing but a second round talent and taking him at eight in the first round doesn't make sense to me. You obviously feel differently and while we disagree, I respect your opinion. My opinion is that Tannehill will never be a top tier QB in the NFL and I would rather see the Dolphins draft a player who has a much better chance of coming in and being a long term starter at another position on the team with their first round selection.
I think if the Dolphins draft Tannehill, they will still be looking for their QB of the future when the 2013 draft comes around. Therefore if they are intent on drafting a second tier QB in this draft, they can always draft Weeden, Cousins, or Osweiler in a later round and they will be getting a QB who will end up being as effective in the NFL as Tannehill will be, IMO.
I don't care what your point is.
If you are going to use Barkley as a reason to defend your point of not taking Tanny this year than your means of defending your point is silly.
"Finascious D wrote:
Not really.
Look the draft is a gamble. Luck could be a bust. He could get injured or fold under the immense pressure of having to be better than Peyton who is in the discussion for GOAT. Not drafting a QB because there may be a better QB coming some other time is silly. If you could guarantee Barkley will have 100% chance to make it and Tanny won't, then he has a point. This isn't like choosing between two different cell phones.
I agree with this. Besides, who says the Dolphins will be in position to draft Barkley next year? I would love for them to be, but let's say they pull 9 wins out of their ass, that's a lot of draft picks for what would be arguably the #1 overall pick. You have to play the hand your dealt. If you need a QB, and the best one available (on your board) is Tannehill, you take him.
I hate when people talk about "reaching". If your pick is #8, but scouts have said the guy is late first rounder, that doesn't do you much good if you want to draft him. Now, a guy like Patrick Turner? He was a reach, considering no one was touching him before the 4th round, but if you take a guy within the same round he's projected (Tannehill), it's not a reach at all IMO.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
"Finascious D wrote:
Not really.
Look the draft is a gamble. Luck could be a bust. He could get injured or fold under the immense pressure of having to be better than Peyton who is in the discussion for GOAT. Not drafting a QB because there may be a better QB coming some other time is silly. If you could guarantee Barkley will have 100% chance to make it and Tanny won't, then he has a point. This isn't like choosing between two different cell phones.
You pretty much said what I said in the second half of my post. If you like him, take him regardless of how he compares.
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
"Alex44 wrote:
You pretty much said what I said in the second half of my post. If you like him, take him regardless of how he compares.
That's not what I was saying.
I'm saying you don't base the draft worthiness of player X, based on player Z who isn't even in the draft.
"Finascious D wrote:
That's not what I was saying.
I'm saying you don't base the draft worthiness of player X, based on player Z who isn't even in the draft.
I agree with that. In my opinion either a guy is a good prospect or he isn't, it doesn't matter if player X is a better one if he is unavailable to you for any reason.
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
"Alex44 wrote:
I agree with that. In my opinion either a guy is a good prospect or he isn't, it doesn't matter if player X is a better one if he is unavailable to you for any reason.
Sure, just sum up what I took 80 posts to say in one sentence......I hate you.
"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
So Tannehill may never be a starter but anyone else we pick will be?
First of all, Landry Jones is dog ****. I know you keep pounding your chest about how the three Tannehill games you saw he played poorly in, but did you both to watch Oklahoma? I saw Jones display himself as a quarterback that shouldn't even be drafted in both the Florida State and Oklahoma State games. Second, Tannehill would be the second quarterback taken in last year's draft so that point is moot.
You should trust that Philbin and Sherman know more about quarterbacking than you do.
A lot of people know more about QBing than he does. A lot of those people have explained how good Tanny/Weeden are. They've given in depth analysis, stats, numbers, video, etc. But his opinion never changes. Its pointless to try.
No no if Luck and RG3 were not in this draft Tannehill would be the top QB this year.
So for the Dolphins Tannehill is the top QB since the other two will be gone.
Unless he is gone before #8.
Enough of that game good for Ireland sticking to his plan that's why he makes the Big $$$$.
That's why they play the games!:yes:
"FinNasty wrote:
From PFT...
Smoke and mirror stuff...can't really draw any conclusions and in fact, probably a message to confuse other teams as to what we want to do....
Besides, IMVHO, Holmgren won't pass up Tannehill at #4.... He can't be sold on McCoy...