1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is A Loss Better Than A Win?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MaddMatt, Jan 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I am NOT gonna be cheering for Pitt. However, a loss could move us up 10 spots in what looks to be a VERY SPECIAL draft.

A win gets us nothing for next season. I will not be upset with a loss in this game.

Thoughts?

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I hope we end the season with a W draft be damned.

Get Up And Go, baboo72, hof13 and 2 others like this.
  3. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    If we don't make the playoffs then a loss would be more helpful than a win. There really is no difference between going 7-9 and 8-8. I'd still like to win but if its the day of the draft then looking back I would want the loss.

4. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Ugh, no!

Play to win, ALWAYS. This is the defending Super Bowl champs we're playing and a win would avoid a losing season. I want to win just as badly as I did the previous 15 games.

SICK, SCall13 and late again like this.
  5. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    This debate is tired and old and has been brought up in multiple threads.

I'm rooting for a win. I will not be upset if we lose.
    Posted via Mobile Device

SICK, BigDogsHunt and Rhody Phins Fan like this.
  6. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    no!

7. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    Well said.

8. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    It is an old debate. I recall the same two years ago when we got the #1 Long.

It is worth thinking about today, as it DOES make a difference in our future. We have guys who know how to draft. Moving them up 10 spots or so could well impact the team's future.

9. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I say we lose sorry most of you fans disagree,i sure hope those four teams win or then it would sucked.

10. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think his point was, its being discussed in several other threads, so why make another thread about it instead of adding your comments into that thread.

that being said... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42iiCcFbxE&feature=PlayList&p=82EAA125344BA462&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=23"]YouTube- Herm Edwards "You play to win the game!"[/ame]

I'm pulling for us to win today, but as someone else said. I won't be terribly upset if we lose, not as upset as the last two games we lost.

baboo72 likes this.
  11. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    If the same thing happens this week that has the last several, thereby, everything falls into place, except for MIA taking care of business and winning.....then I will be bigtime upset.

Lets focus on the W....

If we W, and nothing else falls into place, happy with our draft slot that has us 8-8 finishing on high note. We have 9 picks, we can still accomplish a lot during the draft (and FA) with a W today, regardless of spot.

If we W, and eveything falls into place, happy big time, playoff bound, and let the rest sort itself out as we are still alive and going for the ultimate goal, anything, and I mean anything is possible.

If we L, and nothing falls into place, bummed about ending 7-9 but understand where we are as a squad, how injuries changed things, and we can still use the draft and our 9 picks to fill gaps (and FA). The higher pick may or may not make all that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

If we L, and everythiing falls into place, bummed beyond belief to see what could have been, and the draft is just an offshoot (and FA) of what this team has to overcome to end on such a downer. Injuries and all...it would hurt.

Thats the way it is......:up:

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Never, but I can appreciate the silver lining if we were to lose.

13. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Come on, you can not be serious....of course a win is better. A win is always better, the heck with the draft.

I guess you have quickly forgotton the 2008 draft where we selected the 4th overall quarterback late in the second round. Many of the scouts did not care for the guy, yet Parcells had stated that he thought Chad Henne was the best of the graduating quarterbacks yet was confident that he could be acquired with the 57th overall pick.

Of course, then there was the 1983 draft when we selected the 6th overall quarterback with the 27th pick...anyone remember that guy's name? I'll give you a hint...he went after Todd Blackledge, Tony Eason, Ken O'Brien, Elway, and Kelly.....

We have paid professionals that study college prospects throughout the entire year; that is their job. Moving up ten slots in the draft only guarantees a higher overall base salary; nothing else. You play to win; always, no matter what else may be at stake.

baboo72 likes this.
  14. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    No truer statement can be posted regarding the NFL Draft!!!!!!!!!:hi5:

15. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'll only be upset if we play poorly. While I would prefer a L, I don't want the team to not play for the W.

16. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    no.

17. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    8-8 will make the offseason easier to dwell over instead of spending the next months as losers. As a fan I can have pride in 8-8, esp with the last taste in my mouth being beating a good steelers team.

18. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Agree with MaddMatt. The OP never asked if we should throw the game or not try to win. The OP asked if a loss was better for the team and the answer is if the 4 teams that need to lose don't then YES it is.

Go Dolphins!!!!!

Stitches likes this.
  19. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    my boss is a huge steelers fan......i need this victory.

baboo72 and anlgp like this.
  20. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    But maybe we can beat them into the 3rd quarter and then pull our starters to rest them.

21. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

:lol: i just hope we win to finish out the season even and keep pitt out of the playoffs. i can play the spoiler roll.

22. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    And the answer is the same.....NO! Zero guarantees about draft and draft slot meaning a hill of beans.

Wins mean everything for this franchise.....L's do not!

baboo72 likes this.
  23. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    A higher pick improves your chances of getting a better player.

Also we went 11-5 a year after going 1-15 so I doubt an 8-8 record would somehow help us in the future more than a 7-9 record.

Stitches likes this.
  24. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    ill always root for the dolphins to win no matter what
    especially when there is still a slim chance to get in
    knocking the steelers out would be great too

25. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    BS.....In a Utopia that FANS swear exists come draft day......the REALITY is that a draft slot only guarantees SALARY position, not talent, or contribution.

Get the W and go from there.....we have the same exact chance to find "better player" following a W as we do a L. That is proven every single year, yet FANS beg for higher pick as if its a holy grail.....in truth, its a false idol if ever there was one.

26. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    you want to go 7-9
    i sure dont
    heres to a winning season
    win the game

27. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    AN 8-8 season isn't a winning season.

28. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    It aint a losing one......

29. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I would flip the question this way......if somehow we W and finish 8-8 and nothing else happens so we finish 8-8 and miss out on playoffs, how many fans are going to feel like this team let us down because they should have finished 7-9 for draft spot?????

30. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i would hope you knew what i meant :wink2:

31. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    lol true. But here's something to think about: If we had lost that final game of Saban's first season here and gone 8-8 instead of 9-7 then we would have most likely ended up with Haloti Ngata instead of Jason Allen. Sometimes a loss is better. If we don't make the playoffs then it personally doesn't really make a difference to me either way. I want to win a superbowl not go 8-8.

I completely understand your way of thinking and I'm fine with it. I just lean the other way on this topic.

2socks likes this.
  32. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    BS speculation...no way to PREDICT or Guarantee what Saban would have done with that pick....

How about last year we finish 11-5 and still have perhaps the best possible draft for this franchise.....no way, based on facts and history of the draft can you tell me only teams with higher draft picks do better than teams with lower....you cant...its a UTOPIAN fantasy to think that worse record equates to best possible draft to fill needs.

You cant win a SB without knowing how to WIN games....any game is a chance to prove you have what it takes to WIN it.

33. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    This is a garbage game that has already gotten Vonte hurt and we will be lucky if Hartline doesn't have a sprained knee.

10 spots in the first round is like night and day.......you can't deny that. Although there are no guarantees I like our chances a whole lot better at #10 then at number 20.

For the record is Wes Welker out for the season with a blown up knee during garbage time????

I just want to be clear that I believe we should play to win the game. However there are no rules that say you have to play your star players. There is talk about realigning the 1-6 spots based on record rather then where you finish. This I think is a good idea. However the OP asked if it was better to loose then to win. It is obvious that if we are able to draft 10 slots higher because we lost that this could be a good thing. But throwing the game to be able to do that is wrong and any team caught doing it should pay a penalty.

34. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    1) Actually you cant prove it, and over the course of NFL drafts I can easily show you all the late round picks over early round picks for WINNING teams then LOSING teams and difference makers.

2) Its football, injuries happen.

2socks, please tell me you arent going to be one of those fans begging this franchise to SIT players if we are undeated and going for CHAMPIONSHIP season as we reach weeks 15, 16, etc....you play to Win the game by playing your best available. Injuries happen, and its a ***** reason to sit anyone while a GOAL can be reached.

Our Goal is now 8-8...lets reach it.

An again, per the OP, A LOSS IS NEVER BETTER THAN A WIN! EVER!!!!!!

35. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    A loss moves us up 10 spots?
    Somebody would have to explain this to me.

36. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I don't know how many spots for example it was the number i used from something I read earlier in the article. It's probably more like 5 except we wouldn't know until the end of the day.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  37. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    azfinfanmang likes this.
  38. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I understand your point about winning. No I am not one of those people. I actually said that I thought it was a good idea to reorder those teams that do sit there players as a deterrent to doing it. At some point sitting players ruins the integrity of the game. I just feel, differently from you Big dog, that if we lost (we should play to win), it would improve our chances of drafting a better player because we would move closer to the first pick. There is still no guarantee though. Hell look at Tedd Ginn for example. I know, I know that was bad, but I couldn't resist:up:

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  39. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

WOW!!! I have to say, the difference between 10 and 22 is staggering...

That translates and escolates through the rounds imo. The difference between 42 and 54 is REALLY big etc. etc...

40. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I lose is never as good as a win, and I could never think that way.

I want to win every week.