1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone really fed up with ESPN's awful coverage?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Frumundah Finnatic, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Not only do they cut to commercial the second when we're on the clock, but Berman did a really ****ty job of explaining the trade, and hell they didnt even give us a graphic like they did with other teams

Seriously just admit that you're ****ing biased as hell ESPN, everyone knows it, all I want is a confession.

2. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    I quit watching those D A 12 years ago because of that crap. Only time I watch ESPN is for games.

3. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    the worst it was so bad i called direct tv today so i can watch nfl network for the rest of the draft....... I like Mel K but he had to fight to get a word in, espn has too many guys doing the draft berman young jackson mel + gruden

Agua likes this.
  4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I like Mel, he's usually interesting and entertaining. But I think that he had his tail between his legs all night because his touting of Jimmy Claussen blew up in his face.

ATVZ400 likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    They obviously weren't prepared with any info on Odrick. All the Clausen/Bradford "stroking" on knee-pads consumed all their prep-time...

DolfanJake likes this.
  6. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    I liked it better than NFL Network's coverage solely for Jon Gruden.

dolfan7171, Wildcat23, Fin and 2 others like this.
  7. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Also, Jamarcus Russell...

I think that single-handedly ruined his career.

8. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

i agree

9. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    flip that around and say that I like NFL network coverage solely for Mike Mayock.

10. Zach13

Zach13 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    I thought it was their worst job of coverage that I can remember.

There were too many people sitting at that table each fighting to get a word in edgewise.

I would have gotten rid of either Jackson or Young and put them on Round 2 of the draft.

11. Texphinphan

Texphinphan Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007

I don't buy that ESPN the network hates the Dolphins. But I do agree with you that the coverage by them last night was some of the worst sports broadcasting events I have ever seen. Alternating between talking over each other and uncomfortable silences. Berman, who I have never liked, was gawd awful, especially when compared to the job Eisen did on NFLN.

ESPN was so bad, I actually started feeling bad for them. NFLN did a much better job. Once I get over my hatred of all things Cowpukes, Irvin was not too bad. Mayock has his usual self. Whether you agree or disagree, he does a good job. Eisen is a pro.

12. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Mayock makes the NFL network coverage.
    The best part is they bow down to him, and really let the expert get the analysis in. He does a great job.

Plus NFL network was reporting every pick before the commish even sniffed the podium. I wasn't sure if this was a plus or a minus, but definitely relief at crucial picks.

Eisen also did really well "moderating" the event.

dolfan7171, DolfanJake and Tin Indian like this.
  13. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I flipped back and forth between the 2 and really spent most of the time on NFL Network. I really like Mayock and Eisen and the rest of the group are interesting without being overbearing. The one thing that really hurt the NFL Network is the loss last year of Schefter because that pudgy replacement is as likable as a dishrag.

dolfan7171, DolfanJake and DolfanCole like this.
  14. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    ESPN had more player highlights and the friend I watched it with wasn't familiar with alot of the players so we watched that. Every time we switched it back to NFLN it was just Michael Irvin babbling about some Cowboy stuff or Marshall Faulk calling Jason Pierre-Paul "Pierre St. Paul". I thought both programs have flaws.

NFLN got the trade details much faster than ESPN though.

15. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I have to say the ESPN commentators for the most part just looked lost.

Like others said, I think its partly due to having 5 people trying to weigh in on the picks as they happen, but after the pick they've got typically 2-5 minutes to weigh in. And they were just awful at filling up the remaining time when their pre-planned speeches fell short of the next upcoming pick.

You could tell they were just scrambling all night. It was an embarrassment.

16. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    I flipped back and forth too between ESPN and NFL Network. Can't say that either one really provided great coverage. I did like Mayock and Gruden, so I kept bouncing back and forth. But, I think both networks lagged on the picks. I even got notice of one pick on my phone before either network had it (which BTW there's an NFL Draft app for Verizon BlackBerry users). Maybe the first primetime coverage threw everyone off their game. I sure hope its better tonight.

17. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    Also, I think the NFL Network coverage was slightly better, but I liked ESPN's ticker much better. That was another reason I kept flipping back and forth.

Tin Indian likes this.
  18. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I've been going with NFLN the past few years.

I only had one TV this year, so recorded both, stayed with NFLN and switched to ESPN on commercials or to rewind and see what they had to say about something. Or just to see Gruden. :D

I have to say.....every....single...time I turned over to them, something wasn't right. Uncomfortable silences, people talking over each other, hell one time they were all in the dark about a trade that just went down. "What? What's the trade terms? [calling off camera while off topic production package is showing] Who's trading!?" It went on for waaay too long. Young: "Well, if it was for [insert player], it might be good."

Meanwhile NFL Network was discussing the deal like normal.

The whole thing just seemed a mess for ESPN. The NFL Network really kicked their *** from a production standpoint. Even though it sucks that Gruden is not there anymore, and they did indeed lack highlight packages for many players, NFL Network was just flat better IMO.

I'm a suspense guy and really enjoy not knowing until the commissioner announces the pick. So I'm not sure I like NFLN showing the guys on the phone with the team. But I think that's simply a byproduct of the the NFL's new format of having 15 plus prospects there in person, which was really cool. With all those guys sitting there in plain view, it'd be hard for the cameras to simply ignore what's going on. They've got to show it.

At least it's not like ESPN spying on the selection cards in previous years. That was just ridiculous.

As for the new draft format itself, I really enjoyed it. It was great when they started brining all those players, All Time and 2010, to the stage. They had the Make A Wish kid announce his Steelers' pick. We had the Commish calling that one lineman "Silverback". :lol:

It just had a fresh, invigorating vibe to it all. It was big like always, but they had some fun up there on stage. I don't care about red carpet stuff, but it was not bad. More than anything, it's a sign of just how big the NFL Draft has become. That it's taken the next step (imagine that). And yet it wasn't at all pretentious inside and they had fun.

And now we have yet another night to look forward to!

19. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    ESPN was downright horrible. I almost with I had ponied up and pay the extra 5 or 10 bucks a month for the package that includes it.

Muck nailed a lot of the problems. Once coming back Berman was waving his arm to get the others to stop talking. Guys talking over each other. Not sure if they couldn't hear the producers when they were throwing it back, or just not paying attention, but that was some of the worst TV production I've ever seen.

20. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Get rid of Steve Young and all of those problems go away. There's nothing worse than having to listen to a guy whose so in love with listening to himself talk.

I loved Kiper ripping Tebow and Gruden showing his PO'd Chucky face turning away. Unfortunately there was not enough of that which is the entire point of having Kiper on there.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  21. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    almost every player steve young likes has something in common with steve young. He loved John Beck because he was a mormon. He loved Aaron rodgers cause he had to backup a legend in favre. he loved tebow cause hes left handed.

Seriously, some of the dumbest reasons to like a player ever.

Uncle Rico and MikeHoncho like this.
  22. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    Steve Young is the worst...constantly interrupting people

23. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    That's why I watched NFL Network's coverage. Its been much better than listening to stupid Mel Kiper & notorious Dolphin Hater Berman.

24. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    The number one thing I noticed is that the NFL must have banished ESPN from team facilities during the draft. Not only did they not have "war room" video - they didn't even have a reporter OUTSIDE a facility.

25. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Remember Steve Young is a lawyer now, so that is what he has been taught to do. :wink2:

26. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Didn't stop them from sending someone over to McCoy's house...

27. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    again, that's the lawyer in him :wink2:

28. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    OBJECTION: Hear-say!

jetssuck likes this.
  29. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Heck, they were at all the players homes. I guess they had to go somewhere. The closest thing that had to a team facility was Ed Werder standing in front of a Broncos banner.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  30. woody1351

woody1351 New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Macomb Illinois
    i watched espn some for gruden, but i wanted nfln the most. i cant stand mel kiper or berman but like gruden. on nfln i dont like deion or michael irvan, but nothings perfect. marshall was good on there.

steveincolorado likes this.
  31. andres2882

andres2882 New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    I watched both. I prefer Mayock to Kiper, but I really liked Gruden. I absolutely hate his MNF announcing, but he has been freakingly hilarious in all the pre-draft and draft stuff.

32. Fin

Fin New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Orlando
    Berman is always terrible no matter what he's on. I watched NFL Network most of the night only turning it to ESPN on the short commercial breaks from NFLN. If only Mayock and Gruden could do a draft show...

33. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Active Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    today ive noticed on the espn channels the have polls to rate for every pick but for some reason they left the fins out at #28

dolfan7171 likes this.
  34. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I only watched NFL's Newtork last nite and BTW, they went to comm before our pick to.

What was funny is the fact that two of my friends were over, one is a Titans fan and the other is a Packers fan and it went to comm before they picked also:wink2:

35. SCPhinFan

SCPhinFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Agree, I love Mayock but find it hard to stomach Michael Irvin. I hated when he was on ESPN several years ago. He is so loud.

36. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Schein and Gannon were ripping the ESPN coverage on Sirius this morning. Said Gruden was the only one worth watching (Kiper to a degree). Said Gruden had a couple of moments were you could tell he was thinking "WTF are you talking about?" I'm so happy NFLN is around for competition. If I could have watched it live, I would have had NFLN on with Sirius as audio. Gil Brandt, Jim Miller, Pat Kirwan... good stuff.

37. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    ESPN is pretty terrible. I am getting pretty tried of Mel Kiper jr and his stupid hair cut too. Year after year saying the same dumb things. I think any one of us would be just as good, if not better up there.

38. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    That's a really good point. I noticed it too.

All in all, it seemed like NFLN overtook ESPN this year.

dolfan7171 and steveincolorado like this.
  39. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Yeah, like last year on NFLN. :cry:

40. Wildcat23

Wildcat23 Here kitty kitty

Nov 9, 2009
    Rich Eisen, Mike Mayock and John Gruden would be lights out.