1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it over for Tannehill? Getting close?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Oct 14, 2014.

Is it over for Tannehill?

1. Yes, it's over, he is no good.

11 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. It might be over, but give him a few more games.

20 vote(s)
    13.1%
  3. Give him the season, then evaluate.

111 vote(s)
    72.5%
  4. I will take a slightly above average QB.

11 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's over. The guy is a very below average football player.

2. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Out of curiosity, do you feel he's slightly above average now, or that slightly above average is his ceiling?

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    You also saw another "worst case scenario" play out in San Francisco.

The 49ers drafted Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd round. Might as well have been a 1st round pick because he was the guy Harbaugh hand-picked as a new head coach. It was virtually the same thing.

Well they went a year and a half with Alex Smith continuing on at quarterback and racked up 19 regular season wins in the process, went to the NFC Championship that first year, transitioned mid-year the second year from Alex Smith to Colin Kaepernick, went to the Super Bowl that year, and now Kaepernick has 21 regular season wins under his belt.

And people are afraid of the "message" it sends to the quarterback when you draft a guy that could compete with him?

**** that.

jdallen1222, ssmiami and DevilFin13 like this.
  4. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Is that what that meant? I though Sec was saying keep Tannehill as the above average QB.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    joe flacco is a good qb that is proven to play at a high level isolation in huge football games..give me that, ill take it.

6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He could be. He's not right now. He is still going through growing pains of learning this new offense.

Also "average" at that position is kind of a weird thing. You could probably name about 19 quarterbacks at any point that are "franchise" signal callers (which means they are paid that way or are heading toward being paid that way). I'd say the "average" quarterback is not the guy in the #14 to #19 range but rather the guys that don't fit into those 19. So "above average" to me means you can sneak into that group.

I think Ryan can sneak into that group once he's got the kinks worked out on how to manage and call Bill Lazor's offense.

7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The Dolphins need to decide on Tannehill's fifth year option before May 2015.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    this post deserves its own thread...every game our team has played below average, in the first half, even against the raiders we let them march.

9. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I don't think that's what option #4 means, or isn't how I interpreted it. I viewed #4 as keeping Tannehill long term, committing to him, end of story.

I'm pretty sure if Tannehill starts looking like Drew Bree's this poll doesn't exist.

77FinFan likes this.
  10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    connor sure has a live arm, very quick release, and feathery touch..still got work to do there on him though.

11. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Option 4 means that you are willing to stay with his current slightly above average production and see further development, or keep him around at the position.

The rest of the options in one way or another suggest that your patience ends at the end of this season and evaluation of his production/results.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Would you exercise Tannehill's 2016 option?

13. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I agree. And I still think it is likely that Ryan Tannehill develops into that sort of player. It's really difficult for me to ignore the surrounding circumstances.

But, I respect the people who feel like we're wasting time on him, and I won't be crying if we cut bait and move on to develop someone new. I just hope that we learn some lessons and actually do it the right way this time.

14. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    New guy here. Long time Phins fan (sadly). I say give him the year. He shows flashes of being the next great QB. Like the second half vs. Green Bay. Let's see what he does.

Failbin can go any time.

15. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    agree with that scenario. I don't see why anyone here would be scared of Tannehill's psyche at this point in time.

I think this is what eventually will happen here too. 1st year head coach drafts a QB semi-early if one is conveniently available all the while furthering Tannehill's development considering he is already a capable NFL starter.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    wait until end of the season..i don't need to see moore..

if he doesn't start ascending rapidly, then lets go scouting qbs boys.

he did some things in that 2nd half that bought him some more time imo.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    When do we have to decide that? How much is the option worth and is it guaranteed?

18. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Haven't seen much of Hackenberg but he's got to show more than he did against a below average Michigan team.

19. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I agree that I would take another Qb high next year regardless of how this season plays out. Now if Tannehill of the sudden plays like an all pro? Ok, but otherwise bring in another high draft pick. It makes sense with the current salary structure for rookies as well, its not a salary cap killer to have 2 young Qbs. If one or both of them can't play under the heat then **** em, get a new one.

20. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    It seems like he still has a long way to go. He has problems remembering to step up in the pocket. His footwork doesn't seem efficient. His touch on any pass that doesn't require the ball to be thrown with maximum velocity down the middle of the field is way off. And he doesn't seem to work through reads all that quickly. Those are all theoretically fixable. But that's a lot of stuff that needs fixing and the fact that it didn't seem to get better during this past offseason really worries me.

djphinfan likes this.
  21. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oh..well..then I take the last option as well. Guys got to much of a talent set to just say your not picking up his option.

Pick up the option then....is 15 mill for one season that much of a killer? Qbs dont grow on trees...you say dont pick up his option..fine..who are you replacing him with?

Thats what I have yet to hear from anyone who says they dont like Tannehill. Fine. Whats your replacement?

22. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Dolphins need to decide by May 2015.

Fifth year options are based on a formula. For top-10 picks, it is based on the 10 highest-paid players at the player's position in the prior season. Going to be a huge number. It is guaranteed against injury. It doesn't become guaranteed for skill/ability until March 2016.

23. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    You have to decide this upcoming offseason. For top 10 picks its the same money as transition tag, so I think thats top 10 at each position which will be pretty pricey for QB. The money is guaranteed (except maybe in the case of injury then Im not sure)

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I would not exercise the option then. If he's worth keeping around in 2016, then we can address that in the 2016 offseason.

25. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    I'm not aware of any objective measures that suggest he's performing at an above-average level.

26. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Agreed.

Just because you don't pick up the option doesn't mean you can't keep him. It just might be more expensive depending on his value on the open market.

If you end up having to franchise him that would suck, but I'd rather be making that decision when the time comes rather than guaranteeing $15 million on "hope"

27. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Competition is fine but giving up on Tannehill would be asinine and irresponsible. He's a prime candidate for working with a quality coach and/or a different offensive scheme.

speed, 77FinFan and RoninFin4 like this.
  28. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    I'm not sure anything along those lines is going to fix his issues with downfield accuracy, and without that, you'll always have a QB who's limited in an important way.

29. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    I think one of the problems we have as fans of this team is that we haven't truly been presented with a potential franchise QB since Marino retired. We are all too familiar with plug-and-play veterans who have a low ceiling, but we really have to shift our thinking when it comes to Ryan Tannehill. Of course, he's not yet a future hall-of-fame player in the mold of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Andrew Luck, but statistically he's actually been a good young quarterback, especially considering how little experience he had when he was drafted.

I'm not saying Tannehill will certainly develop into a top 3 QB, but when we drafted him we were essentially taking on a bit of a project, and a project at the QB position means you simply have to be patient and give him more than 2-3 years to develop fully. He has all the tools to be a great QB, but we can't look at guys like Andrew Luck and expect that kind of play. Guys like that don't come around too often. I'm all for drafting a QB high until you find the right one, or even drafting a QB in rounds 2-3 for the next couple of years to compete with Tannehill, but it would really not be the wisest move to cut bait on him after three years.

speed and Piston Honda like this.
  30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i did see some footwork stuff come together like i hadn't seen before..his touch everywhere will never be good, he just doesn't have the innate requirements there..

once again, he did not purposely drop, tuck, and run for a first down like I've been asking him to do for three years...and I'm not talking about a designed one, i mean one on his own..early in the game...so if he's not doing that he doesn't get it.thats what scares me..

31. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I say give him 'til the end of the season.

32. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    We don't suck hard enough for a top 3 pick so who are we likely to be drafting? It's not like there is a starter quality vet out there who can take his place. Look at tampa, mccown looked starter stuff last year and they've gone back to glennon. The problem is no one knows. Nobody can be truly sure of what we have because there has always been an issue. It's clear he isn't hof, but can he be usable?

77FinFan likes this.
  33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    not one rollout in the first half.

34. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Sundays on this board after a defeat are a write off. More knee jerking than a crumping competition. We can see the reasoned response of the fan base here and now.

Also, I agree with CK. We do need to pick up another. We aren't gonna pay Moore again and neither should we. At best we hit and have some competition and trade bait. At worst we sent RT a pretty visible message.

35. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Do you feel he's improving this year?

36. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    What is the role of the Offensive coordinator vs the QB coach.
    I have my doubts about Sherman's son in law, I don't think this guy ever had a job his father in law didn't give him.
    When you make the type of investment the Dolphins made picking RT, wouldn't make sense to bring the best coach to helping develop, like a guy with NFL experience.
    I just think it's ridiculous to have such high expectations when RT now, has as much experience as Luck did when he was drafted.
    I don't trust that the caching is getting the most out of him.

37. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    He needs more time plain and simple. This is a new offense for him, but he's shown way too much talent in my opinion to just throw in the towel after five games into the year with only a last second TD seperating us from being 3-2 as opposed to 2-3. If we were 0-5 I think that would be a different story.

38. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    This class of QB's is pure crap. Its possible Winston, Mariota and Hundley are the top three passers and all three will be backups or out of the league in 5 years.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't agree with this.

At worst Marcus Mariota is Ryan Tannehill with 4.4 speed. And I've been a vocal critic of his.

And Jameis Winston may be a little troubled off the field but he's an exquisite decision-maker on the field and has the talent of a #1 overall pick.

40. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Would you want us to give tim tebow a tryout?