1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to build a gaming PC for under $500?

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by finsincebirth, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm not a fan of HL1 at all. I feel like it drags too long, and I was never really interested in the setting. HL2 is so vastly better it's ridiculous.

He already built the PC.

2. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    When did you play the game for the first time? Within few years of it's released, or later when source engine was out? For it's time, the game was amaizing. I am only 21, but I started PC gaming very early. I loved Quake I/II/III, and the dooms and the Unreals, but HL and the games that I just listed are just apples and oranges. Dooms/Quakes/Unreal's were shoot em ups. Period. Half Life had a story, a cool story at that. Somebody who has never played the series, and just getting started should start with HL2 simply because not many people will tolorate limitations of a 1998 game.

3. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Had to cut my post short.
    Back to the topic...Half Life 2 is an AMAZING game. I loved it. However, for it's time Half Life 1 was a different animal.
    My point is that if you give somebody the option of playing 1 or 2, most (if not all) will go with 2 because it's a whole lot more modern than HL1. The gap between those two is like comparing Fallouts. Not quite, of course...it's stretching it a bit. However, I Played original Fallouts, and they were ****ing awesome. For ****s and giggles I downloaded it again and tried playing 2 before NV came out...an hour in to it I said **** it. Couldn't do it. But back in the day I'd play the **** out of it. Why? Because for it's time the game was awesome.
    At this point it's a generational gap in the games.

Back to whoever this debated started...get HL2 and all of the episodes. They are awesome. I won't hold it against you if you won't find HL1 as awesome as I do lol

4. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    My current laptop can't play any games, so with this new PC I'm just as excited to play starcraft and kotor again. I'll try to tough it out for hl1 so that I can enjoy 2 better

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Immediately upon original release. At the time, I didn't think it was nearly as good a setting and game as Duke Nukem 3D. I still don't, and I'd rather play Duke instead of HL1. I'd also rather play Quake 2, especially the multiplayer. Quake 2 multiplayer and its various mods were some of the best gaming times of my life.

6. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I can't compare the two. Duke Nukem and Quake, those games are comparable. HL and Duke Nukem, games which I love btw, are different. Half Life had the better graphics, and it was "realistic" with a legitimate story line. To me - Quake, Duke Nukem and Unreals are the same game with different skins. Those games had so much in common.
    Half Life was different.

Won't argue here. Quake 2 was an amazing multi player game, and while single player was ok, myltiplayer was awesome. I spent many hours as a kid in internet clubs (not sure what they were called in the US). Only game i've spent more time playing online is Counter-Strike, which is my favorite multiplayer game ever, and I would stay to this day i've spent more time playing Cs (1.3-1.6 not a fan of Source) than any other multiplayer game.

7. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    DN3D is extremely unlike anything you're comparing it to. That's one of the reasons why it was such a big deal: it wasn't like other FPSes.

And HL1's story is a low budget D movie script, IMO. Marc Laidlaw did much better with HL2.

8. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Yes, but it was still more "cartoon"ish than HL.

Compared to the Shakespeare-esque masterpieces that were Duke Nukems? :lol:

9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm not the one claiming that my favored game had a legitimate story line. :up:

10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Hoping some of the PC gurus can give me some guidance here. I bought a dirt cheap refurbished PC from New Egg for work purposes. A friend asked me to get into Star Wars Old Republic. Downloaded it but this junker doesn't seem to have the system requirements to handle it. Here's the DxDiag and I'm hoping one of you guys can tell me what's the minimum I need to make Star Wars happen on this thing, or if it's even feasible/ cost effective.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP Compaq dc7700 Convertible Minitower
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 2024MB RAM
    Page File: 920MB used, 3125MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: Intel(R) Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3000
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2992&SUBSYS_2802103C&REV_02
    Display Memory: 256 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
    Shared Memory: 256 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: HP W2371d
    Monitor Id: HWP3027

11. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Have you tried the website can I run it? It tells you what you need to meet the requirements

MonstBlitz likes this.
  12. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Scan thing didn't work, but I've looked at the requirements for the game. As near as I can tell I need a better video card (not even sure if this thing has one?). I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to PCs. I can use them to do my job just fine, but start getting technical with specs or adding pieces and I'm a fish out of water.

13. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Many processors have an integrated graphics card built in, but they aren't good enough to run games. You want a dedicated graphics card that plugs into the motherboard.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The Core 2 CPU does not have an on-die CPU. It does have an Intel graphics chip (aka "video card" even though it's not an actual card), but said chip is trash, as are all Intel graphics chips. (Their newest stuff will at least run 1080p video fairly well…)

Monstblitz, the long story short, the computer you have uses parts that's several generations old and was never particularly capable of running SWTOR even at release. SWTOR's minimum requirements (in PC parlance, "minimum" means "it'll run like crap but it'll run… eventually") are a Core 2 Duo CPU at 2.0 GHz; you're 200Mhz below that. You just barely meet the minimum RAM and graphics requirements, but your CPU is holding you back.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  15. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    That's basically what I meant, you used better terminology.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  16. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thanks Desides. That's what I was afraid of. I'm guessing in your opinion it wouldn't be cost effective to buy any add ons to make this thing good enough to play Star Wars?

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    :lol: Thanks, I think.

You flat out need to replace the CPU. You're using a Core 2 at 1.8GHz, but the minimum is a Core 2 Duo at 2.0GHz. So you're one CPU generation and 200MHz behind. So there's no avoiding that. New CPU generally means a new motherboard, too. So you're looking at a labor intensive process even though the parts are fairly cheap these days. That's just to get your system up to the minimum specs; there's no guarantee that the game will be in any way enjoyable or playable.

I would look at budgeting for a low-end gaming rig, maybe something in a small form factor chassis running an AMD CPU/GPU combo. Something like the AMD recommendation here. But this requires actually building one, which while not complicated can be pretty daunting for a first-timer (though Stitches will tell you that it's totally worth it).

Your PC is basically good for very casual stuff like web browsing, word processing, general productivity like that. It's not going to work for gaming. It's just too old.

finsincebirth, MonstBlitz and TiP54 like this.
  18. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yeah, which is exactly what I got it for. It only needs to connect to the VDI system where I work. I paid more for the monitor than I did the PC. But a friend of mine who is big time into Star Wars is hell bent on getting me to play and it does look like a fun game. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a decent machine that can pull it off. I'd have to buy it put together though, I don't think I have the no how to build something.

19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Building a computer isn't bad at all. The "worst" part is getting the motherboard seated, getting the CPU in without bending pins, and routing cables in a way that isn't completely horrid. The rest is just "match similar plug shape male A with similar plug shape female B".

Of course, you always run the risk of becoming a total obsessive nut about this stuff… :lol:

MonstBlitz likes this.
  20. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Ok, so update on this... I have a friend who is pretty good at building computers. The same friend who really wants me to be able to play Star Wars and do other PC gaming with him. He's also recommending I "build" a PC. So Desides, or anyone else - if I wanted to stay under $1000, hopefully closer to $500, what's the best gaming PC I could build? Is there a link you guys can point to where someone lists all the parts? It looks like the link in your post is something like that, but I'm guessing that's out of my price range. Looking for something that can handle all current games and be upgradeable.

Edited to add: I've looked through this thread, but since I know how quickly this stuff changes looking for best current builds. After hearing you guys talk about PC gaming for years now, I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge...

21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Something like this AMD setup (scroll down to the second list) would fit within your budget and handle SWTOR very well. Also wouldn't take up much space or make much noise since SFFs PCs are small. It's not going to be super top of the line, but it'll get the job done at lower resolutions.

Alternatively, and more recommended, sign up for a Hardforum account and create a thread in the general hardware forum. Copy and paste these questions and answer them in your OP. Posters like Danny Bui are really good at helping you come up with a spec list within your budget.

IMO, you should skew a little closer to $1000, as you'll likely find yourself enjoying PC gaming--especially when the Steam summer sale rolls around. I think that singlehandedly sucked Stitches in. :lol:

As for the process of actually building, your friend should be able to help you with that, but the "how to build a computer" video series from Newegg helped a friend of mine build his PC.

[video=youtube;d_56kyib-Ls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls[/video]

MonstBlitz likes this.
  22. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thanks again! I knew you would be the guy to talk to about this. That website seems like a helpful service, but I don't even know enough about what I need / want to be able to answer those questions. Questions 4, 6, and 9 would be troublesome, but I'm guessing my friend might be able to help me with that. Also, right before I saw your reply, my friend sent this -

http://www.gamingpcbuilds.com/best-1000-gaming-build/

Any thoughts on this?

23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Question 4: "CPU, Motherboard, RAM, GPU, HDD, PSU (modular preferred), case, optical drive." Optional but HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended: SSD. Lastly, consider if you want to get a new mouse or keyboard, and if you need some sort of audio outlet, like speakers or a set of headphones, and a microphone.
    Question 6: "No." Maybe you can experiment with this later, but just answer no.
    Question 9: "USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Gigabit ethernet." The SATA 6Gb/s is only important if you get an SSD, and you might want to mention wifi if you aren't plugging this in via network cable (you really should use a cable…)

Not a fan of the advice on that page. Too much wattage and money sunk into that PSU, arguably too much RAM for that budget (though RAM is cheap…), possibly too much money sunk into the motherboard.

It's decent as a starting guide, though. But that forum will give you everything you need, including links for purchasing.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  24. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not sure if Des will agree with this, but check out ibuypower.com. That's where I got my computer, and it was about $850 after shipping for a core i5 processor with 8gb ram 1tb hd and a GTX 650 graphics card. When I bought mine they were having a MLK sale so it saved me some good money, and they have a sale for almost every holiday so I imagine there will be a St. Patty's one today. The nice thing is you can big the basic build you want and then customize everything and then they will build it and ship it to you. It may cost a bit more than getting everything individually, but it does simplify things. Start here http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel_B75_Core_i5_Configurator and then mess around. If anything it'll give you an idea of what parts you need.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  25. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Im not familiar with price ranges but cyberpowerpc.com is similar where you can take already pre-build bases, and add/take away from them to fit you requirements.

26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So, MonstBlitz, what happened here? :lol:

27. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Hey Des, sorry for the delayed response. After a lot of research, back and forth, done mostly by my friend (who really wants me to get into PC gaming), he found this and told me it was perfect for what I need right now and very upgradeable.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/toms-hardware-bestconfigs-build-a-pc,review-32647-8.html

Parts are on the way and I'll let you all know how it goes. Feel free to tell me any PC games I should grab. The video card comes with a free coupon for the new Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite.

28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Well, I would only have recommended that GPU thanks to the bundled games, but hopefully it works well for you.

You'll definitely want to install Steam, as that'll be your primary way of buying and playing games.
    I'd grab the entire Valve catalog, Portal 1 and 2 specifically (but also Half-Life 1, 2 and, the Episodes).
    Bioshock 1 is excellent and 2 is a competent follow-up (though not by the same developer).
    I recommend Assassin's Creed everything, as it's just better on PC—try to play 1 and see how it goes, but if it bores you, skip to 2 because 2 is vastly better.
    Fallout New Vegas ultimate edition is still playable to this day; I've sunk hundreds of hours into it and have a new game going right now in fact.
    Borderlands 2 is excellent. 1 is also good, though you can get by in 2 by spending 20 seconds reading on the internet about what happened in 1.
    If you like hack and slash action RPGs, then all of the Ys games on Steam are highly recommended.
    Saints Row: The Third is one of the best sandbox games ever.
    All three Max Payne games are excellent, but 2 in particular is one of the best of all time, IMO.
    And both Batman Arkham games for obvious reasons.

That should last you until the Steam summer sale, where you can buy games for like 80% off. :lol:

For non-Steam content, or alternative methods of acquiring the same content that's available on Steam, there's Amazon (will sell physical discs and downloads) and Origin. Origin is the only way to get EA games like Battlefield 3, Dead Space, etc.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  29. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thanks for the tips! I'll probably land Bioshock 2 on PC first since I've played 1 and need to play 2 before playing the 3rd. A lot of the others I've played on PS3 or Xbox but the rest I'll absolutely look into. Borderlands 2 is definitely going to happen.

Do you use a gamepad type controller like a 360 or do you use mouse and keyboard for most of these games? I'm a little curious as to how that transition is going to go.

30. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Mouse and keyboard is the way to go. It takes about an hour to get used to, and after that you won't want to go back to dual analog. I learned mouse and keyboard back in the Quake 2 days, and never got on board with dual analog.

As for Bioshock, Infinite is not Bioshock 3. It has nothing to do with 1 and 2, and happens 50 years earlier. You do not need to play 1 or 2 to play Infinite.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  31. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    It will usually depend on the genre of game. RTS and Point-click adventures require mouse and keyboard generally speaking (Some exceptions exist like The Walking Dead). For FPS games, the majority of PC gamers consider mouse and keyboard the superior control scheme. Racing games, sports games, and action titles like Devil May Cry, a controller is preferred.

That said, use what you prefer, but realize that not all games will have controller support necessarily. If it is a sticking point for you, you can try programs like Xpadder to force mouse and keyboard only game to work with a controller. Of course practically speaking, trying to map all the functions and controls in an RTS would be very difficult if not impossible.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  32. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Shooter vise, mouse and keyboard beats a controller every time. It might take a bit of getting used to, but once you so get used to it - you won't want to go back.

Racing games is probably the only exception to this rule, and with that being said, I still race with the keyboard as well, simply because that's the more natural way of gaming for me.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  33. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't know how you could possibly play a racing game effectively with a keyboard personally.

34. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Going to try building this thing tonight. Anyone have any tips for me or any how to links besides the one posted on top of this page? That looked pretty helpful so that's where I'm going to start.

35. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Careful for static discharges lol

MonstBlitz likes this.
  36. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This. Make sure to touch metal so you discharge your static prior to beginning. Build on a static-free surface like a wooden table.

Other than that, just take your time. You've said your friend has done this before so he can help. Don't force components in, make sure your slots and pins are lined up correctly, and try to route cables in a way that won't obstruct airflow.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  37. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yeah, I'm going to watch the video and do what I can, but if I run into trouble I'm just going to wait for help. Hoping to get up and running tonight though...

38. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Update: External build successfully completed with a successful test boot.

Next step: Getting it all in the case and seeing if I can get the version of Windows 7 on the old computer installed on the new one. I've read this can be hit or miss. A call to Microsoft and a guy told me it would work fine as long as I never needed to use it on old computer again, but we'll see. Something tells me it can't be that easy.

Thoughts so far: Difficult, and pieces are so fragile it frightens me. But I'm getting there. The video Des posted has been extremely helpful. The guy gets a little speedy towards the end and skips some steps that dummies like me need. Like he says he's plugging an HDMI into the graphics card and that's it. He never explains the other end goes in a monitor! I know that's probably just common sense to most, but the brand new monitor I had didn't even have an HDMI. I need those little baby steps. But that plus phone calls to my friend is getting it done so far. Hopefully I'll be up and running by the weekend!

Desides and TiP54 like this.
  39. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    All built! Windows worked just fine, so that saved me a $100 bucks and makes me not feel so bad about the waste of the first PC I bought since an extra copy of windows would have cost me over half what I paid for old PC. Star Wars is downloading. I'll finally be entering the wide wonderful world of PC gaming this weekend!

TiP54, Stitches and Desides like this.
  40. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Congrats. :up: Told you it wasn't too difficult. Hopefully you can play every game you're interested in now, and you enjoy the platform.

Steam is now your best friend, especially when the summer sale rolls around.

MonstBlitz likes this.