1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to build a gaming PC for under $500?

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by finsincebirth, Sep 17, 2012.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thanks! And thanks for all the help getting me going.

I've been depressed for years every time I saw a Steam sale and realized it was PC only. Or hearing you guys talk about a fun sounding game that was PC only. Now I get to reap the rewards!

Is Steam free to have an account on? Is it just a matter of going to a website and downloading something to access the games?

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yep. Go to Steampowered.com and download the client. Signing up for an account is free. After that, just fire up the application, click Store, and browse away.

Steam now has daily sales. You just missed Portal 2 for $5. I would look at getting the Portal + Portal 2 pack.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  3. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    MonstBlitz likes this.
  4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Looks like AMD is also giving me Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon for free with the graphics card along with Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider. Anyone know if I need to play the other 3 first to understand this? Seems like a spin off of Far Cry 3

5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    As said in the Bioshock Infinite thread, the game takes place 50 years before 1 and has nothing to do with 1 or 2. It's stand-alone.

Far Cry 3 is also unrelated to 2 which had nothing to do with 1. Think of it as Guy In Jungle Area 3.

I would skip Tomb Raider but that's just me.

6. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    As far as people talking about websites that build computers go, between me and my gf we have bought 3 different computers from ibuypower. And all 3 have shipped with issues. Broken harddrives.... Soundcards... Damaged parts. Without fail. 3 within 2 years and even paying for extra safe packing and shipping they came with problems. I've never tried cyberpowerpc but I heard their customer service is trash and they seem like 2 guys in a garage as opposed to a company. In the end I decided to finally build a pc, spent like 1k and built a pc worth about 2200 at the time. Could never go back. It's a pure monster and I still use it. They aren't worth the money in the end without super sales

7. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL

Blood Dragon is the awesome 80s spin off that has nothing to do with Far Cry 3 at all. Just watch the trailer, it will tell you all you need to know:

http://youtu.be/0dofacvjRkc

MonstBlitz likes this.
  8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Blood Dragon is what games should have become but didn't because realism started trumping entertainment.

MonstBlitz and Not So Fast like this.