1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it time to face reality??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Sep 14, 2014.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

You all act like he misses A TON of throws....he doesnt. Yes he has accuracy issues....but alot of times the ball is right there. He doestn make dumb decisions.....and he doesnt turn the ball over. Outside of his accuracy....what are teh other things that tell you hes horrible?

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Those 58 sacks still loom large for Ryan, he's as indecisive and timid as ever. Blame whomever you want, but he's not a franchise QB.

mroz and ASOT like this.
  3. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    You're probably going to have to quickly come to terms with the fact that most people are aware that this is a quarterback-driven league, this is a critical year of development for the team's current quarterback, and that he's going to be under the microscope aplenty.

4. vt_dolfan

Its a brand new offense for him....lol...a hair to late is suprising?

5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The QB position is the most important in the sport. It should be a major topic of discussion.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mroz, Fin-Omenal and ASOT like this.
  6. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Everyone has a bad game, but I think the odds are we're going to be picking a QB in the first round come next Spring.

ASOT and muscle979 like this.
  7. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    He isn't necessarily making the best reads, but even when he does it's usually a beat too late.

8. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    And even the great quarterbacks have bad games, but they have fewer of them, and they counter them with a greater number of games that are better played than even Tannehill's better games.

ASOT likes this.
  9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    His career has always been in doubt...and thus far it's not turning up roses. Sucks I know.

ASOT likes this.
  10. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    If that's what you point to as franchise QB, then he's not really a franchise QB.

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Brand new?? Not at all, Lazor runs a WC offense with many similar concepts as Sherman did. That's not a valid excuse

12. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    And we took a QB with the 8th pick in the draft, that was not a franchise QB. You can't make a mistake like that and not get criticized for it.

13. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not saying Tannehill has been great. He obviously needs to improve, but to give up on him after a week 2 loss is, without wanting to use a stronger word, silly.

77FinFan likes this.
  14. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Come on, be serious. It's not one game, it's 2 seasons and 2 games. He's had time to mature as a QB and he just hasn't done it. And us giving up on him or not means nothing, it's Philbin's decision, and Ross'.

15. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I like what I've seen from tannehill so far. I don't really see any qb in the league that woiuld have won that game today. Granted he doesn't have pin point drew brees like accuracy to lead his receivers consistently but you don't need that to win. Eli manning, joe flacco and roethlisberger all have rings. The important thing is he's accurate enough to hit the receiver. That and he's making the right reads, staying away from bad turnovers, not getting rattled. Overall pretty good considerinng the lack of an oline, running backs

16. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    The difference is that those QBs have qualities they can call on to be competitive in games like the one today.

17. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    No one is. I think that some transparency exists on the part of some members here who are known to have been Tannehill dissenters since before last season started. I don't like people on our team too, Wheeler, Sturgis, Ellerbe, Wallace at times, but I judge their situations as fairly as I can before throwing them overboard.

Even our pro-bowl defensive players did nothing all game save for 1 good play by Grimes in the first quarter. Our punter was off and he is largely regarded as the best in the league.

If RT17 was the only eyesore out there today and he alone cost us the game...i'd be pissed at him too, I don't like to waste 3 hours on my Sunday afternoons, but I call it how it is. Changing the username and avatar the first chance I get as a gesture.

18. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Idk, it is just what it looks like to me (that he is throwing to the right guy). I could be wrong.. I am not in the huddle and I don't know the progression he is suppose to go through.

19. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    You are conveniently forgetting all the great games he had in 2012 and 2013 and painting those seasons as complete failures...some of us remember those games and your BS won't fly with us.

MAFishFan and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  20. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

If you haven't seen any improvement year after year, you're not watching.

He has absolutely sucked thus far this year. I'm not saying he hasn't, but we need to stick with him and sink or swim.

If we sink, better position for a QB in the draft.

If we swim, enjoy the ride.

MAFishFan likes this.
  21. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, Ryan has played 7 bad halves out of the last 8 he played...

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Alen hasnt posted here in over a year, but yes I think that was him.

23. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I don't think anyone wants to give up on him. I think people are looking at his issues and calling him out for it. He needs to improve or we need a new QB, it is that simple.

ASOT and Fin-Omenal like this.
  24. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    pretty much how i feel right now. This is Ryan's team sink or swim... For the rest of this season.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  25. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    RT17 has not looked good this year..his deep ball had been terrible, his accuracy has regressed which I think is highlighted by the new offense that relies on accurate passes for YAC. He has to fix his deep ball because he leaves a lot of big plays and probable points on the board. Is it time to give up on him, no but he does need to perform.

mroz likes this.
  26. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Tannehill improved between his first and second season. Not sure what you're talking about.

27. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    This isn't week 2, but week 34......I've seen enough.

28. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Yea, then what?

Not being a d--k, but I'm sick of the QB play we have gotten for the past 18-19 years.

Sceeto likes this.
  29. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Somebody that actually gets it. Do I believe in him ? No. Can he turn it around and I will believe in him, Yes and I have no choice in the matter. But I am not going to sit around and blow smoke up his and some of the posters a** just to make them happy. It is what it is.....and it's not week 2, but week 34 people.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  30. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    I'd give him til maybe the 6 or 7th game to make a significant improvement. He's definitely on thin ice for the accuracy, decision making, and lack of mobility.

Philbin won't ever pull him though. Coach with no balls. So get used to it even if he does keep sucking.

31. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    I really don't see any other QB get lambasted over ball placement as much. I saw Tanne fail to deliver it in a good place a few times that mattered today, maybe three or four. Seriously, watch any other game and you see the same thing from nearly every other QB. It's like there is no frame of reference, people need to understand their own confirmation bias

Tanne played average IMO, not terrible. I will agree that I'm not seeing him lead, not seeing him make his teammates better. And the team is not playing significantly above average, or being coached above average, so that hurts. What I really don't understand is why the offense looked so different from the first half to the second half. The answer to that would seem to me a bigger answer to the problem with the offense today.

Looking forward, all you can do is draft some competition at QB. I'm fine with Tanne as our QB for the remainder of his rookie contract, bc he's much better than others QBs we've had, and more importantly, what else can you realistically get? But the clock is definitely ticking long term.

32. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    He. Is. Not. The. Guy.

It's blatantly obvious I the same way Henne was blatantly obvious.

Again, other than Brees, name a QB that was a franchise QB that didn't make the playoffs in his first two years.

33. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Phins need to devise a more balanced gameplan, every week. Don't make RT throw over 35 times--he is not a gunslinger, he is not comfortable doing it, he is not accurate enough to be efficient, the defense keys off on it. Establish the run and roll.

As far as the future, RT is not the QB of the future. Phins need a new QB. That is clear. But, to win with RT or even Moore, they must balance the offense, that is the most important thing. They can pick up the option on RT for next year, but he is absolutely not the QB because he is lacking in so many things. They need to look for a QB to replace him either next year or 2 years from now.

34. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Without thinking about it too hard... Newton, Romo. I'm sure there a ton of historical examples.
    edit: Removed Rivers, was just looking at stats.

35. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Is romo a franchise QB?

man alive I would rather have tannehill ...

36. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I think we are seeing a lot of inconsistent QB from a lot of QBs this year and Tannehill is no different.

One thing I do see from our pass catchers are some crippling drops that do not seem to plague other NFL teams - some of these would be easy TDs.

The reality in the NFL is that the QB's job is harder than the receiver so when the ball is there...you better catch it.

37. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Omar Kelly on Tannehill: "He's good enough, he's just not playing well NOW"

When Omar Kelly is the voice of reason it's time to take a step back.

ChrisKo, 77FinFan, resnor and 2 others like this.
  38. jeremy2020

jeremy2020 Active Member

Sep 8, 2010
    It's interesting to note that the Bills seem to have the same accuracy and awareness problems with EJ Manuel. In the offseason, they recognized this and got rid of their #1 receiver because he ran unusual routes, drafted Watkins, and brought in Mike Williams. In addition, they traded for a 3rd running back who could be starting on a number of teams. They seem to have taken a number of steps to insulate their QB from his problems.

The Dolphins seem to have reshuffled deck chairs on the Titanic with the Offensive line. They got Mike Wallace..a talented receiver who didn't think Aaron Rogers was good enough to throw to him. They brought in one RB, but he's the only one they have in a league where having 2 RBs is the norm.

Tannehill has problems. I don't think he's a QB that can consistently win as a starter. The front office did nothing to address it though.

The Bills also just laid out a blue print for letting the Dolphins beat themselves. Will the coaching staff recognize it and adjust or will they be seeing the same type of pressure forcing Tannehill to play to his weaknesses.

cuchulainn likes this.
  39. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Lol, no crap

40. vt_dolfan

Lol....for all those eatin out of Geno Smiths jockstrap...hows that lookin for ya now?

mroz likes this.