1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Worthwhile For Us To Have Practice Scrimmage With Another Team?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Noticing that the Pats, Eagles, Bucs, Bengals and Falcons are all doing practice scrimmages against other teams in addition to their pre-season games.

Do you think the Dolphins should do the same?

I feel like it helps a team prepare better, but since we got the extra Hall of Fame Game I'm not too concerned about it. Moving forwards though, I'd like to see us adopt this practice since many of the better teams do it.

Which team would you love to see us scrimmage against?

2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    We used to scrimmage with Tampa Bay all the time. I remember Fins and Bucs held live scrimmage at the Orange Bowl and Cecil "the Diesel" Collins ran wild.

Good times

3. Bpk

Were his pants on?

MAFishFan likes this.
  4. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    We should scrimmage with the 9ers. Give CKap a chance to show off his Fin's swag.

Be a great litmus test for us as well on several key positions.

5. Bpk

Interesting... I like the idea of us getting to praactice against a top team. They're a bit far though. Can't see anyone going that far for a scrimmage.

6. Ophinerated

Ophinerated Preposterous!

Apr 1, 2008
    We also used to scrimmage with the Titans. I remember a few years of that during the Jimmy and Wanny times.

7. Bpk

We were doing better those years.

When did we stop scrimmaging? Not that that's WHY we sucked for awhile, but I'm curious. Which seasons did we scrimmage and which ones didn't we, I wonder? Would be nice to look at our records those years.

Ophinerated likes this.
  8. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS

Be worth it just to be able to read camp reports from other than Omar-ndo...

Scrimmaging with a playoff team would be ideal.

Ophinerated and Bpk like this.
  9. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    Just from a few preliminary searches, I think that is gonna have to be a compiled list from people that remember each year and what team we scrimmaged, someone will have to know a place that keeps said information, or it's gonna take some time to research it all.

Bpk likes this.
  10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    You trust other team players?... I don't.

11. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I can't remember, exactly what year, but... I was at Titans stadium when the Phins/Titans had one of their scrimmages. It was, I'm pretty sure, the camp after Ricky's first season as a Dolphin. That would put it in 2003. I'm also pretty sure JJ and Wanny scrimmaged with other clubs every year they coached in Miami. I don't remember a coach after them doing it.

Bpk and Ophinerated like this.
  12. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    I remember are few consecutive years they scrimmaged with the Titans. I don't recall all the years by the actual year, I just remember them because a good friend of mine at the time was a Titans fan and a carry over from being an Oilers fan.

Bpk likes this.
  13. Bpk

How do these scrimmages get set up, I wonder. It seems like it's mainly about relationships between coaches and people in the organizations. Then they agree to scrimmage.

No relationship, no scrimmage.

14. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    I don't know the connections, but I think you might be on to something there. Since I do have this recollection that we did scrimmage them annually for a period of time. I remember it being a yearly thing, I just don't remember the year span. I did find an article on the 2003 and 2004 scrimmages between the dolphins and titans, but they didn't really contain any information other than that they happened.