1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Jake Long our new tight end

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by wpgfishfan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Correct me if I'm wrong but when we did some of the "Wildcat" did Long go to the right side and have Fasano play inside of him???

Maybe I'm still drunk but I think I remember them moving Long around a lot

So my question is Long eligible for a catch in that package??

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think he can make himself eligable. I don't know who can and can't make themselves an ER in the offense but if they did and if he cought it people would just pile on top of him. I don't think he has the speed to get that many YAC. If it were a goal line situation I think it would be better than 15 out.

3. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    After doing some research

A few times the Dolphins O-line was

LT Fasano
    LG Smiley
    C Satele
    RG EK
    RT Carey
    TE Long

Now I know Fasano and Long were not really LT and TE but thats a neat package to run behind on the right side

anlgp likes this.
  4. anlgp

can you give the source please?

5. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Yes he is cuzz he's lining up as a TE, he makes himself eligible for a catch by lining up there.

He plays as the TE in the wildcat.

6. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    The game was the Source:up:

7. anlgp

ah i was watching it online and the quality wasn't like TV. all I heard was TD, TD, TD, TD, TD from this one formation. I knew it was tricky because I could see that well enough but as to who was where I had no idea except that RB was taking direct snaps (and that was mostly because of the announcers).

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The Browns do this package with joe thomas

9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Really?

In that case I sure as hell hope they play the Patriots this year :lol:

calphin likes this.
  10. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Sparano noted in his presser today that they have as much as 30 plays out of that formation. Perhaps a few of them are a goalline package where Long goes out for a pass?

Its possible.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  11. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    If that ever works this year and long gets a TD that would be some mad versatility by our LT.

12. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    How would you like to be a CB in the flat that gets to tackle that man at the 2 yard line... :pity:

13. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    that would sure be something else to see! 30 plays from that formation eh? Thats a pretty decent number. Im sure were going to see it alot more throughout this season then. Hopefully all the plays from this formation work as well as they did this week.

14. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    wait a minute wait a minute. I dont think jake would be a TE eligible for a pass. I say this because running on this assumption, that means Fasano is the LT. But fasano caught that touchdown. Methinks that technically Smiley was LT, Satale was LG, Ndukwe C, Carey RG, Long RT.. right?

15. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Its mind games to, makes people have to plan

16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Satele was still the center. He snapped the ball. There is no rule that says you have to have two offensive linemen on each side of the center. Even though the line was unbalanced, Fasano was uncovered on the left side and Jake was covered up by the split end on the right. Look at the receivers on the left, flanked out wide of Fasano. It was usually Camarillo and he was back off the line, which kept Fasano on the end of the line, so he remained eligible.

17. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    So long as there are 7 men on the LOS it doesn't matter how you line up. Thats why you can see formations tht have OT's out with the WR's with no penalty.

If anyone is thinking of a Tackle eligible that just pertains to the OT stating he is eligible so that there is a receiver on the end of the line to avoid a procedure penalty - which is another matter.

The play isn't some new thing, it has been around for more than 2 decades. Everyone is still what they are it doen't matter where they line up as the formation is still legal having 7 men on the LOS. There is no procedure penalty in that case.

18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

It's a form of the single wing which goes back much further and many if not most of the original single wing formations featured an unbalanced line.

19. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Watching the game:up:

20. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    NFL Video Galleries

You can see Long and Carey pretty clearly next to each other. Check the others, if you'd like.

21. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    speaking of Jake, did anyone see the one conventional running play where Ronnie scored a 14 yard TD?

He pushed Seymor 8 yards backwards.

It was good to see Jake dominant out there. I hope he can keep this up

22. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I was watchinh NFL live and they were referring to the team using two guards between Long and Satele.