1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is JP the NFL's best defender?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Higgi, Oct 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Higgi

Higgi Numb

Aug 8, 2008
    TUC, AZ
    Article compares Joey against other elite NFL defenders this year. It makes a case for him as DPOY. Obviously we would need to keep winning and he would have to keep his numbers up. I know individual accolades arent super important, but if he won DPOY it would mean we are winning games and that his free agent signing would be justified (after being called a waste of money/cap space).

Here are the others that can be consider for DPOY so far according to the article.
    link

Oh, I forgot to mention that Joey has 27 tackles, 10.5 sacks (including safety), 3 forced fumbles, recovering 1.

2. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I think at the very least, he might be the most feared defender in the NFL to this point. Meaning, teams really have to game plan for him now. Does this make him the best? Maybe!

Others might have more tackles then him, but his sack numbers, overall pressure, pressure in key moments, and whatever lanes he opens up for others all have to be added in! To me - sure he is, but I'm biased!

I think if he keeps this up, and doesn't really have that many games where he's invisible down the stretch, the DPOY is all his!

like2god likes this.
  3. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Makes me feel much better about losing JT this year.

DolfanTom likes this.
  4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He's a dolphin. Of COURSE he's the best defender ...

It's sacks vs. tackles really. JT is holding his own though. People love sacks.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Its between Porter, Woodson, Ware, Haynesworth and Harrison in my opinion. Woodson is the best CB in the league right now in my opinion while Haynesworth is leading a dominating Titans defense and Ware is coming off the edge, sacking Quarterbacks. James Harrison has to be up there because he's a good player in all parts of the game.

6. Dfan06

Dfan06 New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Haynesworth is a beast, but the nfl best defender is shawn merriman .

7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

uh. he's not even playing this year?

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Merriman is a bit overrated IMO but he does have a big impact on the Chargers defense. They look completely different this year because teams don't have to gameplan for Merriman and Phillips. Instead, its now just Phillips.