1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Lane Johnson a trade target

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by xphinfanx, Apr 8, 2013.

1. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
  3. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It would make sense since you could really just ride the wave at the other positions. You don't need a CB, WR, or a pass rusher but you could just ride the wave and select players based on value.

xphinfanx likes this.
  4. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

The only OT's I'd want to trade up for would be Fisher or Joeckel. Preferably Fisher.

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This, holy sh^t I would be irate if Ireland did that.....IF they are going to trade up, grab a skill guy please....

Also TP seems to think Fluker....

6. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    if we are going ^ for a OT, you can pretty much kiss any decent mid-ish DE goodbye.

finyank13 likes this.
  7. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012

Horrifying. Also pure conjecture.

xphinfanx and finyank13 like this.
  8. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You don't have to get quite that high in the draft. There's little reason to in fact. 54 at most for getting to six would work.

9. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    If you identify a top guy, you go and get him. It's just that simple.

If Ireland is convinced Lane Johnson is a stud tackle that can dominate for years, why roll the dice on 50/50 second rounders?

GMJohnson, aesthetic and Disnardo like this.
  10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Trading with the Raiders would be awful, they have no picks and are looking to burn a team......Crap for that position they might consider Jordan at 3 if he makes it...

11. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

I'll take the other side of this and say that they're in no position to be making demands.

They NEED bodies to put out on the field (picks), and everyone knows it.

It's in their best interest that they trade back and get 2-3 more selections; drafting 1 guy per year isn't really going to help them.

12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I agree, but there is value in their pick.....moving into the Top 3 when you are originally out of the Top 10, you are going to pay you know?

It is just too much IMO......having 3 picks in the Top what? 40-something in this draft is more valuable than just the #3...

Pariah and Hurricane like this.
  13. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    It's a great trade with regards to overall value, but not in this draft. I'm sorry. You don't need to go top 3 to get Lane Johnson.

This franchise, I swear to God, will set itself back for 2 years, minimum if you pull that trade off. In this day and age of superbowl team's having lines comprised of 2nd and 3rd round picks and you're giving up THREE (possibly four!) top picks for ONE guy? That's insanity.

mi2cents and Hurricane like this.
  14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So cost isn't a factor anymore?

You're basically saying we should pay 3 high picks for a OT. A great QB prospect is worth 3 high picks....but a OT? Really?

finyank13 likes this.
  15. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    Okay a quick text conversation with my guy and I'm much more calm. Phew.

16. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Top guy logic.

There are entire Ireland drafts I would trade for certain prospects. They rarely are OTs, but if you think there is a super special one...

17. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Throw quantity at the Raiders instead of quality. See if they bite on that offer. They lack draft picks in a bad way and at 3 you never know what may happen. If Star checks out and KC takes him, there may be a Texas A and M duo.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How super special could an OT be though that would be worth 3 high picks?!??!?!?!? What benefits does that really give the team over a decent OT for a 2nd?

As far as past drafts, that's hindsight.

finyank13 likes this.
  19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I'm wondering if giving up 2 and 3 B too move to 3, and getting an Eric Fisher isn't a bad idea.

I really don't like Jon Martin at LT.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

20. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    My guess is Miami will have to get infront of the Chargers to get one of the three tackles. Cleveland may be a trade partner.

21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Well, thanks too a fine offseason thus far I don't think we have a ton of needs.

I'd be just fine keeping all our picks but securing a LT is fine too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

22. aesthetic

aesthetic Raw Doggin' Club Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Value, name, position worth, all so relative. You want a guy, you get a guy. I would love to see us have conviction on talent and fit instead of value. For once.

23. Perfectville_USA

Perfectville_USA Mr Perfect

Dec 27, 2012
    Syracuse NY
    Why would Ireland be telling the media, that they want to move up for a certain player? Talk about tipping your hand to the rest of the league. I smell smoke screen from teams wanting to move down in the draft!

24. Speedy

Speedy Dolfan forever! :-)

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    I think that's about it. You can't believe anything regarding the draft so close to the actual event. Basically all just rumors, smoke screens, speculations and whatever.

25. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I think it's odds more than hindsight. I doubt that Ireland shares this statistical "logic", but you can attach at (at diff positions) of your second rounders being subpar, third rounders, etc.

If you are sure you have a 100% guy, then guarding your 50% and 30% doesn't make tremendous sense. If Jeff Ireland traded both second rounders and both third rounders, chances are you're only talking two starters max. And there are lots of starting guys I'd trade for any number of draft picks. It's not like it's four all-pros. In all likelihood, it's one second and one third, or one starter.

That said, I don't really believe OT is that position for us this year, especially because we got a good one in the second round the year before. It is, however, one of those positions that is easier to project to the NFL.

But the logic of trading up... not one I have a problem with.

26. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    We heard the Tannehill rumors for months before the draft. To be honest, I believe the rumors are true that we want to move up for a LT, whether it is Fisher or Johnson we are targeting remains to be seen. The DJ Fluker talk is a complete smokescreen though, I can assure you of that. The Dolphins probably are using that "leaked smokescreen" to drive down the asking price to move up in the draft.

27. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Why is that?

28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    My man :yes:

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Well to me, the problem is in thinking that if any GM feels a guy is 100% means the player will definitely be great. Obviously, no player is 100% and every last one of them has a high chance of failure.

The only value draft picks have is in the amount of the talent pool you get to pick from. Just from an odds basis, you're better off picking 3 OTs at the spots (top of each of the first 3 rounds) of the picks than package those up to take one guy.

Not too mention it still seems you aren't factoring in the value of the position and the difference between an average and above average player at that position.

Justright likes this.
  30. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have thought for several weeks that the Dolphins are going to draft an offensive lineman in the first round. If they are going to trade up to get a tackle, I would rather it be Fisher or Joeckle. I doubt if Fisher will be on the board after the Chiefs select with the first pick in the draft. Joeckel will likely go in the top five or six picks, so if the Dolphins want him, they will have to move into the top five in the draft to get him.

I am not really enamored with the idea of moving up in the first round and giving up a second round selection and a late round selection, along with the 12th pick in the first round, to draft Johnson. If the Dolphins are going to draft an offensive lineman in the first round and they can't get Fisher or Joeckel by moving up, I would rather they stay at 12 and draft Johnson, if he is still on the board. If he is already off the board, Ireland could always draft Warmack or Moore to upgrade the RG position.

I have no problem with taking another offensive lineman in the first round. I just don't think there are any offensive linemen, except Fisher and Joeckel, who are worth moving up in the draft to select in the first round.

31. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    No way I give that away for Lane Johnson. Fisher maybe but not Johnson. We will find out soon enough if they really have any faith in Martin and even John Jerry for that matter.

32. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    We meed to move to 8 or 9, not 3. Frankie say relax. Some morons will screw up their picks and cause slides.

Im looking at you, Jets / Bills

33. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I've heard this a lot lately. It's probably several outlets rehashing the same source of the rumor. I hope it's not true. It's not that I'm so against taking a lineman, but i would hate if they traded up to do so. They finally has a lot of picks. I would hate to see them trade them away.

Justright likes this.
  34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    We've been hearing about Austin for a month. With RT we heard of Ireland going to watch TAMU play. This year we've heard of Ireland going out to watch WVU play. If any rumor is to be believed on the basis of the RT rumors, it's Austin.

Justright, ATLFINFAN and UCF FINatic like this.
  35. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Why would there be rampant rumors of us trying to trade up for a tackle then? Not saying you are wrong and I certainly wouldn't mind getting Austin, just curious as to why you think these rumors would be out there. I feel like a lot of times rumors like that are spread by teams trying to let other teams know they are looking to move up, not for a smokescreen (because that doesn't seem to make much sense).

Additionally, if we seem intent on keeping 42 which it seems like we are trying to do from reports I wonder if there is a WR we are targeting there?

I just don't know how happy Ireland or Philbin would be starting Martin at LT. Martin is a particularly tough case because last year he wasn't great at run blocking or pass blocking. He was slightly better at pass blocking, but couldn't hold up at LT. I think he will develop to be a fine (ie. okay/average) tackle but I still don't see him having a "natural" position on either the right or left side. It's like he is a tweener skill-wise between LT and RT.

36. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Not in favor of trade up in first round this year. Just the way I feel. I am not opposed to trade down due to little difference in prospects through most of draft outside of top 10. I want those second and third round picks.

37. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    IMO, throwing Johnson name out there in this trade is a smoke screen for a trade for Dion Jordan. Geno is Jacksonville's target and they can very easily trade down with someone else that is also targeting Dion.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  38. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I mean the "stand up on the table" type of prospect, or as close to 100% as one can realistically believe. As for three OTs, I kind of agree and kind of disagree. You'll probably ensure a starter (or cost yourself your job if you miss), but not necessarily a super special one. The rest of it, the difference between average and above average or great, is really sabermetrics sounding. There's certainly a way to do it, maybe someone has, but I don't have the inclination to do this for offensive tackles.

39. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Austins name has been popping up all over the place. Nice slot guy but not worth the 12th pick or higher imo. Lot of stuff saying St. Louis MAY take him at 16 or if he is there at 22. They got the mother load from Washington for RGIII pick last year.

40. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I would be disappointed with any trade up for an OL. A lot of the reason I really like our coaching staff is they are known as teachers and can coach up players, especially the OL guys.
    The other reason I don't want to trade up is we will miss out on Austin.:nono: