1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Philbin to "Old White Business Man" for today's NFL Players? AKA Will they buy in?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I do not want to turn this into a I don't like Philbin troll posting. For the record I like the guy so far on alot of front's. I do however have a few concerns about how he relates to players and how he carries himself from what I have seen on Hard Knocks and wonder if this will be an issue down the road?

The question I am posing is do the players on the team honestly buy into Philbin as "the coach" beyond trying to get a job during training camp. In alot of the segments on Hard knocks when he meets with players and or talks to them he looks so disconnected. When he brings them into his office he immediately sits down with some water and just says ah uh to whatever they say like hes just going through the motions, and rarely ever looks at them either which to me is weird.

Hes constantly worried about them being clean and business like. These are 21-35 year old guys who are payed to crush skulls and get ever competitive edge they can on opposing teams. Church talk might not work. I understand he doesn't want druggies, and law problems but he seems to me to be better fit for Grocery store manager with his personalty.

Again im not killing the guy but wondering if the players see this disconnect and at some point are like this stuffy old man and just bail on him?? Probably over-reacting of course but does anyone else feel this could be a problem at some point with relation to players?

I don't get the sense of him showing much emotion on the sidelines either, something I really appreciated in a head coach. Cowher for example let the players know what he thought and I could tell he cares. These even keeled guys like Andy Reid and Philbin while good never seem to light that fire when it's needed.

Just a question..

2. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    You don't have to be demonstrative in order to be a good coach.

[​IMG]

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Cam Cameron did this passive aggressive ****.

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I never really understood the Cam Cameron comparisons that some make with Joe Philbin.

dolfan7171, Steve-Mo, Tone_E and 3 others like this.
  5. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    Agree I understand that, hes hes a good choice for an example but Bill is just like that with the media. Hes in their face more at practices and meetings from what I have been told by friends who have been to camps and such..

Also maybe because Philbin is on tape hes toned down some?? I dunno

6. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    :up:

The best possible response to the OP.

7. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    More seriously, what these players "buy in" to IMO is the perception that their coaching staff is intelligent, knowledgeable, and hard-working enough to put them in position to win. That ranges all the way from the schemes they employ on offense and defense, to the adjustments and play calls they make during games.

The head coach's demeanor and personality and "in your face" capability aren't even important IMO. The effects that are usually attributed to that sort of thing are in reality generated by leaders among the players IMO.

Steve-Mo, ToddPhin and Dorfdad like this.
  8. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Sparano was an in your face kinda guy. I think many people put too much emphasis on how bombastic a coach should be. Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are about as laid back as it gets, and they're both rather successful.

9. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    A coach is judged by performance not style.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    This. Players - especially veterans - could care less about the coach's demeanor; they care about winning and reaching their incentives and being in a dandy position for the next contract negotiations. The challenge Philbin is facing is to convince his locker room that they're not rebuilding. You could already witness some dissent after the Johnson cut (as the players new darn well that he was by far the best WR on the team), and you'll probably see some more after the Vontae trade.

Dorfdad and shouright like this.
  11. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    When I was in the same room with Sparano last year, I was amazed at how subtly confrontational he was. It like the guy was just waiting for you to challenge him so he could smack you down. And this was for Web Weekend....

He seemed like the kind of guy that didnt think he needed to explain himself you. It was both impressive and well, stupid.

Philbin takes a different approach, more diplomatic and more willing to give you a reason. I don't that makes him a pushover. It seems pretty clear to me that he will not tolerate someone that is being a problem. He is easy going, but he has a dead seriousness to him. Reminds me of my boss.

12. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think the way you handle that is by giving contract extensions to the guys who deserve it and whom you want to keep around through the rebuilding effort. Reggie Bush for example.

I think it's very important that they do that in the near future. Get the veterans you want to keep around on board and in it for the long haul. Then many of the other guys may play hard and get on board with the rebuilding effort if it means getting themselves a long-term contract.

Dorfdad likes this.
  13. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    And all of that also distinguishes him from Cam Cameron, who was a cream puff.

DePhinistr8 and maynard like this.
  14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Then expect some dissent, because I can't see Reggie Bush on this team in 2013.

finyank13 likes this.
  15. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    The question is though... do players respond better to more "style" as you term it?

16. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think you'll see him extended after a few good games he has this year.

17. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Not going to be an easy feat with hardly any cap space. Sure, we'll probably clear money by cutting Garrard and some additional vets, but I'm having a hard time seeing that we're in financial shape to extend one vet, let alone two (Jake Long, anyone).

18. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    This thread ended with the 2nd post.

19. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    No it didnt Bill Bellicheat isnt a push over or a "CLEAN" church going coach. Just because he's quite to MEDIA doesn't make this post irrelevant. The fact that Philbin is straight laced and wants his players to not curse etc seems to clash with the youth on the team.. It's like hes the hall monitor.. People will ignore him later I feel..

20. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I am tired of the Bellichick comparisons. None of you must have seen the America's game with BB. He is a sleeping pill with the media. He is witty, outgoing, and demonstrative with players and coaches. The one game, he told Derrick Mason to shut up, and he was going to kick his ***. Stop it with the BB. Philbin resembles BB's presser's and thats not good. But not BB.

And Im not anti-philbin, im holding out hope for him.

21. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    lets roll... arrrrr

[​IMG]

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  22. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I get what you are saying, although I think the "Old White Business Man" reference in the title is unfortunate because I don't think that it is an age issue, or a race issue, or a demonstrativeness issue. I am not impressed by Philbin from what I have seen on Hard Knocks and in press conferences. That doesn't mean he can't or won't be a good coach -- it is just my personal impression. Obviously, we just see snippets of things that Hard Knocks shows and ity may not be the whole picture, but the picture that I see is that he may be the kind of detail oriented person who can't see the forest for the trees. The repeated scenes of his pointing out uniform issues, untied shoes and picking up trash don't give me the sense that he is focused on what is important. That he has these meetings with players and doesn't look them in the eye and is mealy-mouthed is bothersome too. That is not an age thing or a race thing -- it is hard to respect someone, especially one's boss, if they don't look you in the eye and talk straight. Similarly, I found it curious that Philbin didn't speak to Moore tor Tannehill about the starting QB decision until after they had both spoken to Taylor and Sherman. That was arguably the most important decision of the season and the head coach was no better than the 3rd person who those players heard about it from. And when he did talk to them, he offered little in terms of encouragement, guidance or motivation. I don't see the Belichick comparisons being offered here as on point at all. I see no similarities in the personalities of Belichick and Philbin. Of course, I don't know either one personally, but I don't think anyone else here does either.

Just my opinion and I hope I am wrong about him.

Dorfdad likes this.
  23. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Hopefully you are wrong, because if this is true, the season will go sideways in a hurry.
    If this team gets off to slow start (0-5 or 1-4) which is very possible, if there is no respect for Philbin or they see him as you've described.....we'll have the 1st overall pick in April.

24. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

You mean the players knew darn well that CJ was the savvy vet among the WRs, not necessarily the best WR on the roster?? At least his performance in both minicamps, TC and the one PS game didn't show that he was any better physically at this point than Nanee, Wallace or Moore. Dumping CJ for getting into trouble with the law, combined with his lack-luster performances isn't about rebuilding or not...that likely would have happened if he was the #1 WR or the #7 WR on the roster...

As to moving VD, I think the veterans will look at it more as 'business' in the NFL rather than a distraction. However, the producers of the show would like it to be portrayed as an issue to boost ratings....

25. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    You mean the team leaders were genuinely worried about poor ole Chad when he got cut? And yes, his performance in TC clearly established him as the #1 WR on this team by literally every account out there, one drop notwithstanding.

And no, the vets won't look at the Vontae trade as a distraction. They'll look at it as a move that made the team worse. As fans, we have the luxury of daydreaming about the possible net returns on the compensation in 2013 and beyond. Reggie Bush is playing for hard cash right now.

26. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Sam Madison Reacts to Vontae Davis Trade
    http://www.thephins.com/forums/show...oday-s-NFL-Players-AKA-Will-they-buy-in/page2
    What does Madison know about Miami?

27. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not too concerned with Philbin's approach as far as personality and interactions. If you don't win, it's a problem. If you do win, it's not. People would swear all the time that the Giants were on the verge of revolt against Tom Coughlin who also is too old, too white, too out of touch, etc. Then they win Super Bowls.

muscle979, Steve-Mo, jsizzle and 8 others like this.
  28. Phin

Phin New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    All we've seen of Philbin is the persona he puts on in front of cameras. How do we know that he's not "witty, outgoing, and demonstrative" with his players and staff?

Besides...this post is total BS. The players better buy in if they want their money and a job. If my boss were John Belushi or Janet Reno, I could care less, as long as they were fair and competent. If Philbin is exactly the way he is portrayed on HC, but he shows the players that he knows his ****, they will buy into it.

29. Phin

Phin New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Exactly!

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes Philbin is all of those things, that's why we need a young, urban guy who appeals to the youth of today by creating a relaxed atmosphere, like Tom Coughlin.

jsizzle, Marco, maynard and 1 other person like this.
  31. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    True, but kinda a chicken and egg thing though. The question is whether the coach's personality and demeanor makes it harder for the team to win. In Coughlin's case it obviously didn't. And he had been a successful NFL coach for many years, so there was a proven track record showing that he could be a solid head coach. Philbin doesn't have that. And like Belichick, I don't really see the parallels in personality and demeanor between Coughlin and Philbin. In my eyes, Coughlin comes across as something of a drill sergeant. Aggressively confrontational. That can certainly wear on people and players, but it is very different from what I see in Philbin. In Philbin I see much more of a passive aggressiveness. He is plainly uncomfortable in face-to-face confrontations. To me he comes off more as a passive aggressive "bean counter."

32. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    was wondering how long it would take
    before the anti-Philbin movement would begin.
    got my answer in today's readings.

hubris!:butthead:

it will take at least four,
    maybe five season games to establish the team

1) new coaches
    2) new systems
    3) rookie QB

if this is not a rebuilding project
    then it is a major remodeling one

patience!

Mile High Fin likes this.
  33. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't get why this is an issue with people. These are grown men and the fact that they need to be told to tie their shoes, wear their uniforms properly, keep their locker room clean and not dump trash all over their practice field is mind blowing. Also it's quite possible that that stuff doesn't happen that often and it was just an HBO overplayed thing.

34. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    if dolphins players did what giants players do they would get traded or cut you can't compare the 2

35. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    "Is Philbin to "Old White Business Man" for today's NFL Players? AKA Will they buy in?"
    is this an intentional racially loaded comment with all its ugly & inaccurate implications?
    most disappointing on every level... :no: you'll get to vote in November, leave the NFL out of it.

most unfortunate:yes:

36. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    in a game where there is relative parity throughout the sport,
    ATTENTION TO DETAIL
    is important, so is speed, discipline & being on the right page.

for lack of a nail, a shoe was lost
    for lack of a shoe, a horse was lost
    for lack of a horse, a battle was lost
    for lack of a battle, a war was lost

to criticize a coach for paying attention to detail & imposing discipline in an impersonal, dispassionate way in inane

37. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This......trade him then....:up:

38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    ugh.....go back to bed....:pity:

39. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I can't see Jeff Ireland giving Reggie Bush a big payday with not one but TWO fairly high draft picks (Thomas, Miller) waiting in the wings. Miller in particular has been referred to as a first round pick who's a year early.

40. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think that is his best trait. I can see football players wanting to play for that guy. He's not going to get in your face and scream at you when you mess up, or when he's ticked off at you. Instead, he's going to come at you with respect that all people deserve to be treated with. You're going to get told assertively what you've done wrong, and that you need to do better, but its going to be done respectfully. I think that approach will likely go a long way with NFL players. Afterall, these are millionaires now, who play a childs game, who may have had troubled upbringings, but in most cases because of their athletic abilities have been given an awful lot in life, and alot of them probably think they should be given much more, and not be subject to yelling and humiliation from a coach. Philbins respectful, but stern approach is a good way to go. The player gets the message, and respected all at the same time.