1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Ryan Tannehill Going to Become a Franchise QB?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shouright, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We aren't playing my game, we're playing yours. You are the one setting the rules. I've asked plenty of questions you refuse to give a specific answer to.

If you can't show me there's no subjectivity in a WPA for a select play, and a QB's WPA is derived from his total WPAs from the game, then how can you tell me its objective? And how does wanting to know the answer to that question constitute me playing a game and you doing back flips to not answer it mean you aren't playing a game?

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wow..skewered...:lol:

Shou is a bit right though, THill's season looked very much like a Chad Henne season from 09-10 10-11

However, here is where the art more than science comes into play, Tannehill showed more than Henne.

The trick is whether he can then raise his consistency, and stats wise there is no metric that can predict that happening one way or another as a look back at history purely through stats will show success and failure without the context of things such as scheduling, talent, injuries etc.

smahtaz and maynard like this.
  3. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    The question is relevant to you; it isn't to me. Case closed. Have a nice evening. :)

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Thought so.

5. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    The interesting thing to me is that Henne's performance in 2009, in terms of WPA, was consistent with his becoming a franchise QB, and similar to the current stuff regarding Tannehill, the chatter around here at the time was that he needed a better surrounding cast. Then we went out and got him Brandon Marshall in 2010, and his play in terms of WPA got worse!

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Where did i declare a winner? Please link to it.

This isn't about winning. I have over a number of threads now endeavored to understand your infatuation with the WPA stat. At every turn you've been unwilling to explain the objectivity of it.

Maybe the problem is that you think that's a pissing contest instead of what it is.

7. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Like I said, ask the guy who invented the stat. I'm satisfied with it as it is. Your lack of satisfaction with it doesn't impel me to do anything.

If you find out it's unduly subjective, then come back and be sure to point out how that undermines the stuff in the original post to a significant degree. Until then, I don't see any more need for us to discuss this issue.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, and this is where "art" meets science what happened imo, is they relied so heavily on the WC to score Td's that Henne never developed as a Qb who threw the ball into the EZ for Td's when the league figured out the WC he was basically a rookie again.

The art portion also came into play b/c Henne was singularly poor at throwing the fade route, his arm talent was lacking.

He has a huge arm but no touch so to speak.

This is one of the things I did not like about how they developed THill this yr, inside the RZ your Qb MUST show he can throw the ball, into the EZ, in tight windows, and produce Td's. Instead we mostly ran the ball and play actioned to Fasano down there.

Moving forward..that ain't gonna work.

shouright likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Right. Deflect.

10. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Precisely. I see no need to be on your "witness stand" for your "cross-examination" in a "trial" that's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. You don't set the rules I play by.

However, like I said, if you take some initiative yourself, instead of putting me on trial, and you find out the stat is unduly subjective, I'm happy to learn from you if and how that undermines the findings in the original post. I suspect that won't be happening, however, because I suspect your real goal has nothing to do with that at all.

I'll be ignoring you in this thread from here on out. Have a nice evening. :)

11. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Right, but I think that points to the fact, as well, that you need a good receiving tight end to develop a quarterback optimally.

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Trial?

Look, if you can't handle questions or criticisms, then maybe you shouldn't be making threads. Or is your intention not to have discussion?

Either way, its irrelevant i guess.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, depends, if your Qb is good they can make the Te better.

Another unsaid this year is the guys we'd hoped would develop, especially DTrain and Clay, really didn't and ended the season on IR, that is as important to THill's development as his individual play.

14. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    This is amazing.

Looking forward to GMJohnson's interview.

Ophinerated, Bpk, smahtaz and 2 others like this.
  15. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Thanks. Sorry about the hair thing. It's a free account and 1 guy gets hair and the other gets sunglasses and a tie.

Truth be told, we don't know enough about Tannehill to make a call either way. But I like him too. I was just in the middle of a rainy day with nothing else to do.

shouright and djphinfan like this.
  16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That was funny bro, you could do a lot of comedy with that program and the characters around here..

17. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

The best.

I hope you do a different poster each week. To get us through the offseason.

Let me know if you ever want a co writer. Lol.

Btw, you got Shou down pat with the Chester-the-molester uncle outfit.

I doubt Shou has ever said "My pleasure" to anyone unless it was sarcastic though! Lol. Kidding Shou! Talking with you is my pleasure!

Rocky Raccoon, smahtaz and shouright like this.
  18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

So all guests will be balding? Lol.

May I suggest you interview:
    GMJohnson
    FinasciousD
    the23rd
    DJ
    unluckyluciano
    samphin
    padre
    Perfectville
    Average noob (less than 10 posts)
    section
    KB21
    Boik
    StingerBell

That'd be a lineup any talk show would envy.

Is there a Female character?

smahtaz and shouright like this.
  19. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Barry you gotta post that one you did that was about couples and sex.

Barry is talented folks. :yes:

Bpk and djphinfan like this.
  20. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Needs some Aquafin.

Bpk likes this.
  21. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Fin... have you ever dealt with in depth statistics, such as the Leading Economic Indicators, for example. There is so much data and the math in the statistics is so complex that it does take several full courses at the undergrad/grad level to fully understand how they are developed. The only way to explain it on a board such as this is to refer you to the person who has pulled this together, and the background data from which it has been pulled - the data for which alone would probably fill a large number of large files on a substantial hard drive. My experience with dealing with statistics was in the old days (when the fanciest technology was a basic arithmetical function calculator connected to the wall!) and that was hard enough to explain. Seeking proof on this type of board for the reliability of the data and the functions is well nigh akin to asking for a full readout of the new health care law to be posted. Shou was very right in telling you that the only way that you can have that is to contact Burke. Or, you might Google WPA football Statistics and get some broad brush information about the form, and then check out the several dozen links to the data/subject matter/formulation which I saw on the home page. It just cannot be put into this format without the board system crying "Ouch!"

AND!
    There is always the Twainian reminder: There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.
    You have to do the research to trust the statistics, and in these days, that means that you have to trust the person to whom you are referring for the research to verify the statistics. Unless you have a spare several years you can spend doing it yourself.

Fin D likes this.
  22. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    There is absolutely no ambiguity there. If a pass is dropped, the WPA is attributed to anyone directly involved (QB and WR).

23. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    "If you have one foot in a bucket of ice and one foot in a bucket of boiling water, and you’re a normal person, you say “Ouch! Help!” but if you’re a statistician, you say, “On average, I’m comfortable.”

Bpk likes this.
  24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Fair enough and thank you!

My point all along is that it is impossible to have an objective and comprehensive stat in football. Attempts are objective but are not comprehensive. QB rating is comprehensive but it is not objective. What I'm seeing is a lot of objective stats leading to a comprehensive conclusion and/or a lot of comprehensive stats claimed to be objective.

No one has said Tannehill was perfect this year. No one. Everyone knows he could have played better. The difference is, we are saying that if he played exactly like he did and the talent around them had been as dynamic as say Luck's, his numbers could be significantly better. Shou disagrees with that. In his attempt to prove that false, he's either used subjective stats or non comprehensive stats.

Which is fine, but this is a forum. If he can't handle being questioned or disagreed with, then he probably shouldn't post.

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Why should the QB be penalized for a WR mistake?

26. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    He shouldn't. That doesnt matter in this context though. WPA is being used to predict career passer rating, which its been proven do do better than rookie passer rating.

27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How can it not matter?

If QB X's rookie year he's throwing to 3 Leegedu Nannees, his WPA won't be very good and it won't accurately predict anything.

28. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The correlation is the correlation. If your point is that the correlation is only 0.75, not 1.00, then by all means feel free to make the point. As it stands, you are just asking questions that are spelled out in the OP, and are doing nothing to further this discussion.

shouright likes this.
  29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sigh.

Look, I'm trying to understand this. I'm told there's no subjectivity yet there obviously is.

30. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    What exactly is subjective? The fact that the WPA is assigned to everyone directly involved does not make the statistic subjective.

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ok, now that actually makes sense to me.

However, how does that give us a better prediction on the QB? I mean I just don't see how any stat that penalizes one person for another person's mistake is meaningful.

32. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The correlation between rookie WPA and career passer rtg. is 0.75.

The correlation between rookie passer rtg. and career passer rtg. is 0.58.

Therefore, rookie WPA is a better predictor of career passer rating than rookie passer rating.

Just because WPA is not a perfect individual stat does not nullify its predictive value.

shouright and unluckyluciano like this.
  33. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Thanks.

That is a good list. I better get to work.

There are dozens of sets, characters and voices (with accents) within about 20 different themes. You can even change camera angles, facial expressions and character movements. I used the automatic settings for this one. I was having a hard enough time trying to spell the word phonetically. Shoot, Garrard and Davone took me almost an hour to figure out. :lol:

Bpk, Rocky Raccoon and shouright like this.
  34. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    And it's not like it has spurious predictive validity, because when you look here:

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?year=2012&pos=QB&season=reg

...you see loads of construct validity as well. The correlation between WPA and the general consensus of those QBs' ability is striking IMO.

In other words, it's not like we're compiling some stat like shoe size, finding that it just so happens to predict career QB rating, and then having to wonder whether it's nonsense because there is no reasonable or viable theoretical link between the two variables.

When you have construct validity and predictive validity, you've pretty much hit a "home run" with the stat, which is why I was rather dismissive of any attempts to back me into a corner based on some irrelevant aspect of it.

35. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    You spent more time on that than I did the OP! ;)

I went and found that video Barry did a while back:

Barry can you post that again?

Course while I was at it I stumbled across this:

Don't quit your day job, Barry. ;)

smahtaz likes this.
  36. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

LMFAO at the GMJohnson part.

smahtaz likes this.
  37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    This needs to happen..keep BK around during the offseason..unless he runs out of material?

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    With you and FinD going back and forth, I feel like Ben affleck in good will hunting.

39. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    If you want to use my likeness in a video, you're going to have to talk to the site's admins. They are very protective over the Stringer Bell brand, and won't allow anyone to exploit it unless the site is compensated.

smahtaz likes this.
  40. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    No it isnt subjective but is not a clear indicator of future results. Thats the subective part. The stats just tell you based on the variables what the result is,, but itfore cant determine what the future variables willbe. Therefore it cant. Accurately predict the future because the variables are just that - variable.