1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the 2010 Bucs Relying on the 2008 Dolphins Success Story?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Disnardo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Well strange as it seems a lot of the media experts are predicting good things for Tampa this year. And since I am no fortune teller, they might have a good season, but... truth be told, they had a very similar success story to the 2008 Phins...

In 2008, the Dolphins, as so many in the media stated, had a record that was dominant on non-winning teams, and by the end of the Season their SOS was actually .461 and opponents had a 118-138 record. Experts and many, including myself use this claim to the Phins 2008 fame...

So why is the 2010 Tampa Bay Bucs getting a free pass??? I have not read nor heard media experts using this same critique when mentioning the Bucs, on the contrary, they look for good things to go the Bucs way. They are a young team with a good QB in the making, and all Power Rankings noted have them in the Top half of the league...

But let's look at what actually happened in the Dophins 2008 Season and the Bucs 2010 shall we...

Prior to the 2008, in 2007 the Phins posted a 1-15 Season...

In 2008 the Dolphins opponents record at the end of the Season was .461 or 118-138. Pennington had a 97 QBR and lead the Offense. Miami's winning record was 9-1 against non-winning teams, and 2-4 against winning teams, which lead to a 11-5 Season...

Prior to the 2010, in 2009 the Bucs posted a 3-13 Season...

In 2010 the Bucs opponents record at the end of the Season was .477 or 122-134. Freeman had a 96 QBR and lead the Offense. Tampa's winning record was also, 9-1 against non-winning teams, and 1-5 against winning teams, which lead to a 10-6 Season...

As you can see there is a correlation between the two teams, IMO, and that is the strength of the opponents faced, but this is not being mention in the media stream...

In closing, I have to state that maybe it is too soon for this type of an explanation to Tampas great 2010 Season. So we will have to wait till later in the Season or after the Season for the media to harp on this correlation once the Bucs Season its over...

Than again I could be wrong, but sometime stats don't lie...

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    While I expect TB to go down a bit this year record-wise, the difference is that Freeman is seen as a franchise guy. The perception of the quality of the QB seems to be all that is considered in today's team evaluations.

3. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Well Rafael, he (Freeman) performed just as bad or poorly against the Top team's Defenses, knowing it was his second year... but Freeman needs to step up in 2011, against good teams to be considered a Franchise starter...

I like the kid, not kidding, but a lot of QB's can look good against weak opponents...

I don't see Tampa being better than 3-4, getting into their bye the first half of the season...

They will be playing the D's of Atlanta, Minny, Detroit, NO and Chicago... tough for most of the QB's in the league...