1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the debate over Henne finished?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Sep 25, 2011.

1. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Then maybe he's not that good.

As for the offense clicking, between the penalties and just plain awful O-Line play (not to mention we STILL can't run the ball in the Red Zone), I'm surprised we've scored even the minuscule amount of points we have.

It's gotten to the point where Daboll is almost exclusively calling passes near the goal line.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  2. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    What are you guys looking for out of Henne? If you are looking for an elite QB that can make up for a sub par team, he isn't the guy. But how many QB's in the league ARE that guy? As it sits right now, I say there are about 4 or 5, tops. If that is the standard you judge a QB by, then good luck.

But if you are looking for a guy you can build a solid team around and win with, he is more than acceptable. But news flash. Miami does not have a solid team around him. The OLine sucks. Your defense let Colt McCoy and a bunch of no-names drive for a winning score with minutes left in the game. Your FG kicker, while good in the past, is garbage this year. The head coach is an imbecile. So if you are looking for Marino, Brady, Elway, Rodgers, Brees, etc., yeah - Henne sucks. But I think you guys are nuts for thinking that is what you need to be a winning team. If Sanchez and the Jets can make it to the AFC Championship game 2 years in a row, why can't Maimi build a team around Henne to do the same?

3. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I'm pretty sure that CK is on record as saying Kolb is a pretty terrible QB.

4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I see this mentioned by a lot of people. The problem is Henne isn't the solution either, and that is what you need your QB to be. Super Bowl winning QB's cover defects and elevate their team. Aaron Rodgers overcame poor OL play, the loss of his prime running back and his starting TE to win the Super Bowl. Brady took an offense without Moss into the playoffs. Roethlisburger suffered through a worse OL than we had to get his team to the Super Bowl. Will Chad Henne do that? I don't see it.

0-3 with mediocre point totals in a league that has offenses exploding like supernovas is not great, its barely decent. You cannot put up 16 points in a loss to a mediocre Browns team and come away saying "Great Game Henne!"

5. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    It just seems that everything that can go wrong is Henne's fault to some people.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  6. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    We're not losing because of Henne, but the reason we're not a legit Super Bowl contender is in part because of Henne.

ssmiami, Rhody Phins Fan and Stitches like this.
  7. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Bickety Bam, the haters are comparing Henne to the likes of Brady, Manning, Rodgers. We all know Henne isn't one of those guys and most of the league doesn't have guys like that. Henne is a good QB and can be a winner in this league. Whenever something goes wrong, it's always Henne's fault to some. Bottem line is our OL is one of the worst ever for a Dolphins team and Henne is still making plays, most of the time. We know Henne isn't a top 5, and were not saying he is.

8. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I think what people take exception to is the constant posting about how nothing is ever Chad Henne's fault. The offense didn't score many points, not Chad Henne's fault. There was an interception, not Chad Henne's fault. Not to mention the only reason people think the likes of Matt Ryan or Josh Freeman might be better is because those guys play on the greatest most complete teams the NFL has ever seen. Nine times out of ten around here before you ever see any post from a 'hater' you see posts saying, 'oh look the haters are going to say this is all Chad Henne's fault.' That's generally how Chad Henne's performance comes up in the first place in any given thread.

ssmiami and Trowa like this.
  9. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Hey - I'd love Sanchez to be like Rodgers or Brady or Brees. Who wouldn't want their QB to be like that. But the fact is that those guys are rare and if you build a team that needs that type of QB to win, then shame on you. You can win with Henne - just not with the way the team is currently constructed. And FWIW, I think even the tops guys would have a bit of a problem winning with the way the rest of the team is playing.

ToddsPhins and steveincolorado like this.
  10. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Arizona and Seattle's QBing isn't something to try to match. They're in a pee wee league just under the NFL. They don't have Superbowl QBs.

Rodgers
    Drew Brees
    Big Ben
    Eli Manning
    Peyton Manning

Those are the five Superbowl QBs of the last five years. Henne can perhaps match Eli but where he's going to this phenomenal pass rush from. It'd probably be easier to acquire a QB then a Strahan, Umenyiora, Tuck and co. An upgrade comes in you take it.

11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I completely agree with you 100%. I hated that call, especially to a rookie, and even more so when that rookie is matched against an equally talented rookie who's as fast or faster than Gates. But that's on Daboll's play call, not Henne for trying to execute it.

You know how Henne began the 2nd half?

1st drive:
    sack
    8 yard pass
    sack
    scramble
    38 yard pass
    inc to Fasano
    Sack.
    **That's 3 SACKS and one heavy pressure from interior Dline collapsing the pocket. Could it be that Carey's injury threw our Oline out of whack? Despite it, we get a FG b/c of Henne's pass to Hartline where only Hart could catch it.

2nd drive passing:
    9 yard completion
    Sack by interior Dline AGAIN. UNACCEPTABLE.
    John Jerry HOLDING inside Cleveland territory creating 1st & 20. (I'm guessing this is against the same interior Dline that's killed Henne thus far in the 2nd half. )
    8 yard completion.
    Punt.

3rd drive passing:

scramble
    INC to Bess.
    FG.

4th drive was the end of game nonsense that should've never happened to begin with if the TEAM played at least moderately well as a TEAM.

During the 2nd qtr prior to that last unnecessary drive, Henne was 4/6, 63 yards, 4 sacks, 1 holding call, 2 scrambles.
    The "22.5 QBR" you're referring to comes from those last 4 passes against solid coverage that should've never happened to begin with. If Carpenter doesn't miss a chip shot, it's already game over for Cleveland. If we don't fumble the ball in the redzone, it's game over, we win. If Marshall doesn't miss his 2nd TD in 2 weeks, we win. If the ref doesn't blow an obvious offensive PI call during Cleveland's game wining drive, we win. If our Oline could pass protect in the 2nd half, we win.

There was ZERO reason for us to have our backs pinned against the wall late in the game to begin with, and you know one reason why we shouldn't have been in that situation?----- Henne played a solid game. That's one reason.

that 82 Rating (that's deflated thanks to multiple needless INTs) is better than Bradford, Freeman, Cassel, Cutler, Orton, McCoy.... and about equal to Ryan & Kolb. The only young QB who's outshining these guys is Stafford..... with Flacco & Sanchez are a distant 2nd.

12. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I think it's easier to fix the team around him then to send him packing and start all over again. And the fix should start with getting rid of fist pumper. I really think he is terrible. As a Jets fan, I couldn't have been happier then they kept him this year. I am sure he is a great guy, loved by the players, etc., but he is like a white Herm Edwards. Start with him.

steveincolorado likes this.
  13. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    We're not asking him to be elite. We're asking him to join the rest of the NFL's top Quaterbacks and throw some touchdowns.

Matt Stafford's team isn't that much better than ours. He has no offensive line. Henne at least has Jake Long protecting his blind side. Stafford has Johnson, Henne has Marshall. Henne has a better running game. Yet, Stafford is out playing Henne.

electrolyte likes this.
  14. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Haven't watched it yet but I can already tell this sounds like a typical Sparano team.

15. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Todd - I like you, but I watched the game. When it came to crunch time - i.e. need to move the ball 15 yards for a shot to win, Henne was average at best. That doesn't mean you pin the whole loss on him, but you want your starting QB to be good to very good in those situations. In fact, he can suck all game, but come up big in that spot and be ok. That is the one thing Henne has yet to show me and the reason why I think Sanchez is ahead of him. Henne has better numbers, but Sanchez has made some big plays with the game on the line. Not a ton, but he's made them.

ssmiami and Harmalama like this.
  16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    This post is tough to argue with.

17. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Point is Henne stays until we have shot at a franchise QB, that's all there is to it. Until then the rest of the team must improve.

18. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm actually agreeing with a Jets fan......lol
    But BB, your right!

BicketyBam likes this.
  19. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I hear you, but who would think Colt McCoy would drive down the field and throw a go ahead TD with less than a minute left? Play some D and he was adequate enough to win today.

steveincolorado likes this.
  20. electrolyte

electrolyte New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Very good points. Can't say it any better

21. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    What round did Stafford get drafted in? I forget.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  22. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    We should have never been in that position to begin with. Henne is leaving touchdowns on the field.

I'm not blaming EVERYTHING on him. Everyone is at fault. But he's not the solution. He's average at best. If we had a legit Quaterback, we would have won this game by scoring more than 16 points. We would have won the Texans game, too. Because we would have scored more than two combined touchdowns in both games.

23. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Per Ben Violen Palm Beach Post:

Funny slip of the tongue from Henne: "I know one thing about these guys, they’re not gonna stop quitting."

ToddsPhins, muscle979 and Ozzy like this.
  24. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    First round, number one overall.

25. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I know :D That was my point. He better be outplaying Henne.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  26. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    That's a classic quote. **** me thats hilarious.

ToddsPhins and JimToss like this.
  27. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    The Henne supporters have never once said he's a top 5, we know that. We never said he's perfect, never. Henne's got to tools to win and be a very good QB in this league.
    Now the haters nit pick everything that goes wrong and blames Henne for it.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  28. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Fair enough. He hasn't played well enough to cover for the major deficiencies that the Dolphins have. My point is that if you put the right team around him, he won't have to.

ToddsPhins and steveincolorado like this.
  29. electrolyte

electrolyte New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Exactly. you see the world of difference between a legit franchise QB like Stafford, and a bargain bin 2nd-3rd tier QB like Henne.

You're a Jets fan. You would love us to keep Henne. The last thing you want to see is Miami draft Andrew Luck.

30. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Whatever. I don't give a **** about stats; whatever happened before that last possession doesn't change the fact that our QB couldn't get us 8 yards when we absolutely had to have them. He couldn't get it done, even though he had little-to-no pressure on those last four downs. And on that 4th down, he threw a pass so far over the Receiver's head that if he wasn't the only guy in the vicinity you wouldn't know the pass was intended for him.

With the game on the line—the situation all QBs dream of and pray for, to have the game on their shoulders and deliver—Chad Henne proved that he's not a guy who can be counted on.

That's it. End of story.

2socks, Rouk and electrolyte like this.
  31. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    My point is, I still don't think he would. I don't want to settle for average at best either. Why should we?

2socks, electrolyte and danloc04 like this.
  32. danloc04

danloc04 New Member

May 29, 2008
    I guess I don't want adequate enough. I want to win a superbowl, and you need a great QB to do that, not an adequate one.

2socks and electrolyte like this.
  33. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I was not aware that a top 15 QB only scores 16 points a game.

34. electrolyte

electrolyte New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Exactly.

The -only- anomalies to that golden rule in recent history are the Bucs and Ravens. The Bucs defense scored 21 pts in that Super bowl to win the game... and we all know about the legendary Ravens defense.

So, unless the Dolphins plan to field one of the all time great defenses the world has ever seen, we need a franchise QB who can sling the ball up and down the field when we need it, a QB who can make quick reads and orchestrate the offense to score points.

2socks and danloc04 like this.
  35. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    The Super Bowl? With only the 3rd game of the season on the line, Henne couldn't deliver a pass to the right team.

Put him in the Super Bowl and there isn't enough Immodium in the world.

electrolyte, JimToss and danloc04 like this.
  36. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Henne has played well against the Jets, so I am not so sure about that. And I highly doubt you will be in a position to draft Luck. You guys are not that bad.

I just think the Henne debate is silly. Marino spoiled you guys.

ToddsPhins and Stitches like this.
  37. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

So, what you're saying is... wait, explain it to me as you would a six year-old.

Clark Kent and Ophinerated like this.
  38. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    By the way the Colts look better than us in the red zone. They use their tight ends and they run the ball behind an effective OL. Whose playing on that? Nobody special.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  39. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    OK - I'm done. I understand your guys frustration and both camps have legit points.

Ophinerated and steveincolorado like this.
  40. danloc04

danloc04 New Member

May 29, 2008
    I like Henne, I really do. I think he's an improved QB, and hasn't been terrible this year. But can anyone picture themselves hearing the words "Chad Henne, Superbowl winning quarterback?" If you're like me and can't, shouldn't you be open to trying to upgrade that position in the off season if possible? And of course it's not all Henne's fault, this team has tons of problems, but in the NFL the focal point of every team is the QB, so that's obviously why there is so much discussion about him. What's true (at least to me) about Henne should be true about everyone, if you don't see a player as a contributor on a Superbowl winning team, you should be open (and in some cases actively seeking) to upgrade that position.