1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is The Phins A NFF (No Fun Forum)?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Questions' started by Southbeach, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I have not been here long, and have enjoyed my stay. However, I am now somewhat confused as to what is and is not allowed on this forum.

I have been told that this is a Miami Dolphins Forum, and only about the Miami Dolphins but, I have seen tons of pics having nothing to do with football, let alone my Phins. The T&A is appreciated, although no where near Phins related. It does get bothersome to see them over, and over, and over again. JMO.

I've also seem a ton of posts which have nothing to do with my team. It does not bother me in the least, as they are Phans having Phun. There are also many threads which may be classed as the same.

I bring this up because I have been posting on My team for roughly 8 years, and have made many a forum friend, while having Phun in doing so. Now, I am questioning this forum as to what is allowed.

I'm likely over-reacting after having threads moved but, it is annoying because it has never happened before.

I'm sure the Admin/Mods will have no problem in clearing this this up or, perhaps the posters.

2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    This should be in the questions forum. :escape2:

SICK likes this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    TBH SB, I'm not sure, I do think the mains were getting out of hand and there is a temporary move to more active moderation of the forums in general.

4. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    This is a questions forum. And since you were so nice to reply, how does an NBA team, and Sonny Liston fit in with the "Purity" of a Miami Dolphins forum, ONLY about the Miami Dolphins? Are you in trouble. :)

5. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    y

I'm not sure either Padre. The mains may have gotten out of hand BUT, that was not the case in the off season, as we both know. MODS GONE MADD!!! :)

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I don't believe so SB, I've had my fair share of threads moved it's nothing personal or any thing like that Bro.

7. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    You can have whatever you like in your signature or avatar, as long as it complies with the site rules.

I'm not sure where the idea of "Dolphins-only" came from. We have tons of other topical forums on the site. :)

8. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Are you talking about signatures underneath each users post? That doesn't have anything to do with the post or forum. It shows up anywhere that the user posts in. The Dolphins forum is about anything related to the Dolphins. There's other forums on this website that you're allowed to post the other material in.

9. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Not sure if you're serious or not, but if you're serious, you're overreacting.

10. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Benevolent Despot, I hate to revive a dead horse but, will do so for your benefit. I believe that threads, such as food and fun, should be allowed on your "Main Page." They are much more Dolphin than comic books, videos, and dog bites in your "Lounge." Yet they are added in to these wondrous topics.

How does one define a "topical forum?" :)

11. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I talk of BIG PICS underneath posts which, as you say, have absolutely nothing to do with the post, the forum, or even remotely with the Miami Dolphins.

Why are they allowed, when a few Phun threads are not? I anxiously await this reply.

12. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    They're called signatures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block

13. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    IF I am serious, why should Phins Phans have to be subjected to and NBA team and Sonny, post after post, after post?

14. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Vengeful Odin likes this.
  15. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    And, according to you, the "signatures" can be anything, no matter if they have anything remotely connected with Miami football. Tell me that makes any degree of sense to you?

16. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    It makes perfect sense to me....

17. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    You miss the point, which I'm sure you know.

18. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Anyone claiming to be, or know, "perfect" is dead wrong to start, as you are. No offense intended.

19. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    You don't have to be subjected to anything.

20. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    How am I dead wrong when you're the one that doesn't know what a signature is?

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G

21. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I think this forum is designed to be whatever you want it to be as long as it's within the TOS. As for all the subforums they just help keep things organized. Also like Bryoan mentioned if you don't like sig pics then disable them. I personally like them and can usually identify posters by them. My all time favorite was the dolphin with a lazer beam on its head shooting Tom Brady

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

22. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Only if you do not post my friend, and I do enjoy reading your posts. However, I can do without the pics. It would save me time without them, and they add nothing to what you say.

23. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Jesus! They told you how to get rid of them so you can't see them. If your time is so precious that you need them disabled to browse the for then do it already!

24. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    By trying to argue that posters shouldn't have sigs you are taking away their ability to express and personalize their experiences. In essence what you are trying to do is make it a no fun forum.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

25. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    LOL, I am very familiar with signatures. I just am questioning their size and/or pertinence to a "so called" pure Miami Dolphin forum.

This has become a Phun discussion. Good thing it is not allowed for many to read. :)

26. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Praise The Lord there Firesole, this is about more than you post.

27. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    That is NOT my argument in any way shape, or form. My argument is the hypocrisy of allowing the sigs, and many a post, which have absolutely nothing to do with our Phins, while claiming this is a pure Dolphins forum.

28. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I dont think anyone here has ever said anything is a pure Dolphins forum. The argument you are having is off by a mile. You posted something in the main "Miami Dolphins forum" that should've been posted in "Tailgating" which would've sparked no response. So a mod moved it to the "Lounge" so a good discussion could be had. Was it related to the Phins? sure, but not actual Phins football, thus it was moved. As for the argument about sigs and avs, it a bit of a reach to draw the conclusion you are. Who you are and represent yourself to be on the forum has no bearing on the quailty of posts related to the Phins.

Southbeach and Stitches like this.
  29. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Everyone on the site is allowed to see this.

30. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    We have other forums (Political, Music, etc.) that are for specific discussion on other topics. The Lounge is kinda 'anything goes', but it gets more traffic than the Tailgate forum does.

I'm not sure what food and fun has to do with the Dolphins, other than I have lots of fun when they win and eat a lot regardless. :lol: Maybe if it has to do with the Dolphins? OT: We actually have a pretty large BBQ/recipe thread in the Lounge.

As for avatars and signatures, think of them as your flair. Take Lucky here, he has 37 pieces of flair. And a terrific smile.

Look, people can get their Dolphins news anywhere. They come to ThePHINS for the atmosphere and the attitude. That's what the flair's about. It's about fun.

We want you to express yourself. Now if you feel that the bare minimum is enough, well then ok. But some people choose to wear more, and we encourage that.

You do want to express yourself, don't you?

Ok, great. That's all I ask. :)

31. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair that they made the Jews wear. :shifty:

Muck and DrAstroZoom like this.
  32. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    http://phinphanatic.com/forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=453

Muck, I post on this MUCH smaller forum as well. Take a moment to read the replies to the Jay Fiedler Sighting, which was also moved to "The Lounge." Good posts, memories, and some laughs on a former Phins QB, which should have been the same here. Yet, it was moved.

As to the Phins Phans Phood, it was a phun tread for "Getting Ready For Some Football." It was not a recipe thread, as such, but more so what different Phans do for watching our team. Did you read the OP? Your Bar-B-Q thead has 100 posts in over 3 years. This would have had more than half that in 3 days.

I am NOT against the sigs but, would prefer a size reduction. They have brought many a LOL, and are a part of this forum, as well as it's posters. I only used this as an example of what is allowed compared to what should be allowed.

IMHO, expressions should be allowed equally, regardless if it is sig, the written word, or a little humor on Jay.

33. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I guess we do it our way, they do it theirs. BTW - Brian is a good friend of mine. :)

Not my kind of humor I guess. It's a pile-on thread at the expense of a guy who took more than his fair share already IMO. They typically get moved to the Lounge.

On forums with less traffic, perhaps they prefer to be a little lax on the main forums. I'm that way on our Heat site (which will assuredly become a dust bowl while we enjoy this NBA lockout). It makes sense in that regard. In our Club forum, the food thread would have been moved to the Club Lounge. The Fielder one probably gets deleted.

The sigs are a good point and in fact we recently began tightening back up after admittedly getting lax on the sizes.

Southbeach and byroan like this.
  34. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Same here with Brian, Great Guy who I've know for 8-9 years. In hindsight, you are likely right on the Jay thread for here. My intent was for what you read at Brian's but, I know those posters. Not the same here, and it could well have turned into a pile on thread which would have pissed me off worse than you. Bad decision on my part, please delete it.

I still think the food would have been something fun but, would not have started it if the season had started.

Over, done, and forgotten. On to MNF and our team.

Muck likes this.