1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Ryan Tannehill Rookie Fantasy Over?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shouright, Sep 29, 2012.

Is the Ryan Tannehill Rookie Fantasy Over?

1. No

75.0%
  2. Yes

25.0%
  1. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I don't think so, but I was done debating it then, and I still am. :)

2. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He looks horrible so far today with those pinpoint accurate bullets and perfect placement..

3. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Some more poor throws by Tannehill. Time to start Devlin.

4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The original premise of this thread was faulty from the start.

FinNasty, smahtaz, Section126 and 3 others like this.
  5. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    We need to pull him. He missed 6 throws and only has a 101 rating. Very poor start.

6. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Folks, after that pass to Hartline I will GLADLY:

[​IMG]

:up:

djphinfan, Eop05, FinNasty and 12 others like this.
  7. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    You better eat crow, and NEVER post again about Tannehill.

EVER.

418 yards a Dolphins rookie record, passing Dan Marino.

WhiteIbanez likes this.
  8. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Can't blame Tannehill, he's really showing his potential especially considering that he doesn't have great Wrs around him.

9. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I believe he exceeded any rookie expectations by breaking Marino's record. That's why this thread and many others about the same subject should have never been started but I see he has ate crow.
    Tannehill made a huge step in solidifying franchise QB status and its only week 4! even most optimistic people like myself didn't expect anything like this, this early in his rookie season. This year is all about that, anything else is icing on the cake and we will solve a lot of problems next off season hopefully!

10. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    He dished 200+ yards to Brian Hartline. I know Hartline isn't awful, but still...

Pandarilla likes this.
  11. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Tannehill looked really good. That OT pick wasn't his fault but a pass protection issue. I believe he could have driven us down for the game winning FG [if it was an attempt under 40 yards...] had he not been blindsided like that.

12. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Kid plays like that and we lose. Feels like old times.

jsizzle likes this.
  13. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Yes. Or maybe not accuracy but rather ball placement. Shanahan is doing a great job calling plays but play calling is rhythm so just like Cam Newton looked like a man among boys last year he didnt look that way this year when Chudzinski wasnt calling the game as well this year and teams latched on to what they were doing more. Give it time.

On another note...
    Ryan Tannehill: How a Franchise QB Gets No Support
    A Story about a QB and how the team around him malfunctions at all the wrong times.

14. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I voted "No" by the way. :lol: ;)

He does have to develop a better ability to protect the ball though. Turning the ball over three times in one game is rarely going to overcome what he did on the positive end.

I have a feeling we're all suffering from a "highlight the positive, ignore the negative" because he's a rookie. But those three turnovers were a major factor in losing this game, and he definitely has to get that under control at some point.

Firesole likes this.
  15. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Of course you did. It could easily be debated that all 3 of those turnovers were not completely his fault but you keep riding on that high horse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  16. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    The Dolphins have seem to have the attitude that we are a couple of players away for years now. I'd rather develop Tannehill and give him years to develop while putting weapons around him then have a "vet" on this team that if all the chips fall correctely might get us in the playoffs to only get buried in the first round.

Give the kid his chance he might surprise you. It sure as heck beats the throw a new QB every year or two our there and hope approach.

17. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    He's inexperienced, needed to sit the year to learn and he had shown tendencies to force balls at a&m so I wouldn't know why people would have fantasies. he's coming along nicely though. You gotta learn to crawl before you walk.

18. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    damn, this thread just became more obnoxious. Didn't think that was possible.

Remember when I said that I needed to see a "WOW" game from him, and at least another where he is the reason for winning? Well, put a check mark next to the "wow" game.

19. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    It was a wow game but you'll like to see more consistency than a wow game and a game winner to call it a rookie wet dream season.

20. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Two games in a row bro.. Painful. But hopeful.

Think about this for a second:
    One converted 3rd and short- We probably win.
    Make one of two 4th down stops- We win
    Block the blitzer twice, no turnover at the end of the game or in OT- We win
    Hit a FG, we are up 16-0 instead of 13-7
    Prevent a 15 yard gain on 3rd and 20 at the end of the game- We probably win.
    Make a stop in OT on 3rd and 7, AZ punts it back and gives us hope.
    Naane holds on to ball instead of fumbles - We probably win

I'd say it was a fantasy outing, considering we had every chance to win this game, on the road, in a hostile environment.

21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    418 yards vs one of the top 5 d's in the league? Vs the best corner left standing IMO (Patrick Peterson)? Thats not a fantasy outing, thats a video game outing. We didnt lose because of Tannehill, we lost because we're a young team, that makes young team mistakes (i.e. mistakes at the wrong time that always seem to cost us), and we just arent there yet personnel wise.

22. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    The guy is playing Madden with secondaries out there. 432 yards? Better start Moore.

23. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Here's a question I asked myself and I'd like to ask you as I know how you like to delve into the psyche and development of players.

Isn't it a safe bet that Ryan Tannehill works some of these rookie mistakes out. Given the following:
    -The exceptional wonderlic score
    -The fact that he ONLY played 20 games at QB in college, which now seems like a positive......because his development appears to be rapid
    -That he's seemingly able to play at a high level against a very good NFL defense this early in his career
    -That he's doing this with a paperweight as his 3rd option at WR.
    -The assumption that Philbin, Sherman, and Taylor will be his coaches for at least 3 years
    -Last but not least, his physical abilities which trump any QB we've had since Marino

24. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I think HOW a player is turning the ball over is more important than the overall tally. The majority of his turnovers have been things like tipped balls, WRs falling down after he released it, and being hit while throwing. These kinds of turnovers are ones that happens to the best of QBs. They aren't the dumb, throwing into double coverage mental mistakes that really concern you.

vt_dolfan likes this.
  25. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    And one of the best safety's in the league in Wilson.

Boik14 likes this.
  26. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    You're right, he hasn't had a lot of WTF were you thinking interceptions. Although the pick six against the jets was one. I'm fine with the type of picks he's throwing right now as I'm sure he will learn from them. I would just like to see him throw more touchdowns.

27. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Giddyup! ;)

28. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Oh sure. But he's also a gunslinger. I think you can tell that. For every 10 games he has like this one, he'll have one of those "Brett Favre meltdown" games where he throws three picks and loses the game himself. JMO.

29. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    He hasn't played enough games to be able to manufacture a projected stat like that.

30. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think you project that from the mentality he plays with. He's a gunslinger IMO.

31. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    I disagree with gunslinger. To me gunslingers take unnecessary risks with the ball. Like when Jake Plummer tried a pass left handed once! Tannehill doesn't force bad passes, he doesn't try to take more than the defense is giving him. Not a gunslinger at all.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I seriously don't understand this gunslinger label you are literally trying to brand him with.

How do you define gunslinger and make it work for Marino/Favre and Tanny?

33. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    Please your comments are not based on the kid's play and having reasonable expectations of good performance.
    RT had the game in the bag playing against a good team and with only 2 receivers which he's making into good receivers and no running game, Nanne or whatever his name is doesn't ****ing fumble and Clay doesn't drop easy catches and Armstrong catches the ball, this kid is 3 and one and the best pick of the draft.
    He did this in Arizona!!!

34. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    IMO it's someone who's looking to take shots down the field whenever they present themselves, including trying to "create" those shots (i.e., some of the sideline throws we've seen to Hartline in the last couple games), as opposed to someone who's playing in a more limited or conservative manner (i.e., a game manager).

Plus, the guy's still a rookie! Imagine how he's going to be playing when he's feeling his oats!

35. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    At this point, with only five games remaining, I'd say this fantasy should be put to rest.

The average rookie QB rating of the 27 rookies who got significant playing time since 2004 is 72.9, which his the same as Ryan Tannehill's right now.

He's had some flashes this season that were much better than average, but overall he's playing average, and therefore not unlike the typical rookie QB.

He'd have to set the world in fire in the remaining five games to make this any different IMO.

Bpk likes this.
  36. evz

evz Feral Druid Club Member

And yet it means nothing either way...

37. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Actually if he can get his QB rating up to 80 or higher, he'd be in the territory that three of the four guys were in as rookies who went on to become franchise guys since 2004.

Bpk likes this.
  38. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    The only thing we know today is that Tannehill isn't Marino.
    Neither was Peyton Manning in his rookie year.

39. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I do. He's a QB. I've seen passes every bit as stupid, if not stupider, by Marino, Brady, Manning, etc. I still think the dumbest pass I have ever seen in the NFL was the one Brady threw in 2004 that was intercepted by Brandan Ayanbadejo with less than 2 minutes left and the Pats up 5 with the ball deep in Pats territory. It allowed the then 2-11 Dolphins to come back from a 28-17 4th quarter to beat the then 12-1 Patriots with late AJ Feeley TD pass (which Brady followed up with yet another INT with more than a minute left in the game). Despite protecting a 5 pt. lead with less than 2 minutes left, Brady threw the ball up for grabs to avoid a sack. One of my favorite dolphin moments of the past 20 years. Seriously (and sadly). Anyhow, it happens to the best of them.

eltos_lightfoot and ToddPhin like this.
  40. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Thats probably unfair. His weapons unequivocally scare no one. We have a #2 (Hartline) and a #3/4 who catches everything but cant separate (Bess). Fasano has been a complete non factor as a receiver as has any other TE's we have. The fact he has the rating he has is nothing short of a minor miracle. At this points we'd be best served using Bush as a Split End and letting Thomas and Miller handle the carries.

ToddPhin likes this.