1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a chance we trade Beck to the Browns?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan94, Dec 1, 2008.

1. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I could see this happen since they're 1st and 2nd stringers are injured. Who is their 3rd stringer? With Beck's NFL experience, he might be a good fit for them considering their situation. Maybe we can get a low pick for Beck.

Thoughts?

2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    This crossed my mind yesterday but I don't think it has any legs. They need a vet, the last thing they need is a jumpy near rookie..

edit; Sooner than we like Beck might be really important to us.. remember that Penny is no spring chicken and our o-line is about to let him get roughed up. Penny nicked is one thing, Penny out and Beck becomes one heartbeat away.

FinsPensFan likes this.
  3. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    So you think that if Penny gets injured they would put Beck in? I highly doubt that. In week 2, when we took Penny out, we put Henne in. That was pretty early in the season which means he had a lot less practice time. I think they would put Henne unless we are out of the hunt

4. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    The trade deadline has passed, so my bad

5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Yeah.

We could move him in the offseason. Detroit maybe. They're looking to rebuild so a (basically) rookie QB that can be had for a low pick just might be worth trying out for them.

6. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    Beck might get us a 5th round pick at best after the season. I think the Big Tuna will draft yet another QB between rounds 4-6 to replace beck. If Miami trades down in the 1st round they might get one in round 3.

Beck will not see the field as a Dolphin next season. I am not saying he is a bust or a bum, just that he will not be with the fins. I hope they do not just release the man and get nothing in return.

Potential Teams:
    * San Fran
    * Vikings
    * Bears
    * Browns
    * Jags
    * Cowboys

I think he ends up as a #2 or #3 for one of the above teams. It just depends on what happens with teams back-ups. His age will not help the trade process, due to not having much experience at QB in the NFL.

7. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Trade deadline has passed and plus we could not really get anything for him. We could get a 7th at best

8. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    My concern is Ronnie Brown, especially when his contract expires next year.. Do you guys think we bite the bullet and sign him to elite $$$ or let him go and draft a serviceable RB? They way they have been playing him I wouldn't be surprised if they let him walk when his contract expires.

9. anlgp

If we don't pay him the money we try and get something for him. No way we let the guy just walk. I think we'll either give him a contract or try and get a decent pick for him.

10. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    While they may well put Henne in with a Pennington injury, trading Beck would still leave us in a very unstable situation at QB.
    If Pennington is out then we're down to 2 QBs. Not having a backup for Henne would be way too shortsighted, don't you think?

11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We will keep John Beck, but we will shop him around, and what Qb Coach David Lee has to say will weigh heavily into any decision to peddle him for a 7th round pick.

He will have learned OC Henning's System, he works cheap, has some starting experience, and decent tools, for a #3 Qb you can do a heck of alot worse.

To trade Beck, we would have to be really confident that Pennington has put his injury troubles behind him, that is a steep bet to make in exchange for a token draft pick.

12. The Dude

The Dude Anti Jet

Sep 1, 2008
    ΥέΧª§
    Beck will go to Dallas in the offseason. No doubt.

13. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I just don't understand why he isn't given the chance to run 22-25 times per game... I love our depth though.. If anything it is proving that he expendable.

I don't know if he is worth LT type money though. Nor do I know if he considered an elite runner to warrant big money. I guess time will tell.

14. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    No doubt, huh?

Just like that, you're going to make a bold assertion based on nothing?

gunn34 and Coral Reefer like this.
  15. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I think Beck could go somewhere in a qb needed league, i don't see us getting anything better than a 5th though.

Ronnie's limited carries i think is two fold. One we have ricky for only this year and next, use him as we can. Two, even with split carries, they want to see ronnie survive a full season, healthy. If he can do that it might give them more confidence to give him more touches per game next year. He's only a year removed from his injury, why over work him now when you dont' have to.

If it gets crunch time to make the playoffs and ricky has any slowdowns, i could see ronnie getting the touches everyone thinks he should be getting.

gunn34 likes this.
  16. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    As long as Parcells and Company can still pluck the Marion Barber's of the world in the 4th round, it would not bother me a bit.

anlgp likes this.
  17. bluegrassbubba

bluegrassbubba Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Bluegrass State
    Crennel was on Sirius Radio today and said they would consider bringing in a veteran, I doubt they would be interested in Beck.

cnc66 likes this.
  18. The Dude

The Dude Anti Jet

Sep 1, 2008
    ΥέΧª§
    dallas wanted him earlier in the year and they have garbage backups...

funkdat likes this.
  19. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Ronnie will re-sign him here in the future. Not that many teams need a RB and one that's going to be 28 years old hitting free agency at the time is not someone you sign long-term.
    Again this is over-analyzing a stretch of a couple games where Ricky has been favored over Ronnie. Ricky is 31 years old, they aren't going to suddenly dump Ronnie, lose Ricky to retirement, and have to pick yet another top RB (nobody mention Cobbs as the future replacement). That's a waste of more picks that we'll have to use adjusting a new guy to the system. We have too many other needs.

As far as Beck, expect him to be dealt and a veteran backup like a Gus Frerrote or a mid-late round backup QB to be groomed over the long run. Heck you never know it might even be Beck, I don't see any reason to get a middle round pick and then spend a middle round pick just to get a QB that has never seen the system before.

20. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Bro you could ask for a link or what is this based on? That way it comes off more friendlier.:wink2:

21. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    yes Ken Dorsey is there QB this weekend.:wink2:

22. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    what's competence huh?

After years of post-marino era, watching so many garbage/retread qbs such as Ray lucas, Jay fieldler, Brian griese, AJ feeley, Cleo lemon, Joey harrington, Gus frerotte, Trent green, etc...

with one year of the new regime suddenly we're talking about shipping one of our QB's............
    I think they already have all my respect.

23. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Last year their were a'lot of rumor's that we were trying to trade Beck to Dallas, but Dallas only wanted to give us a 6 or 7 round pick for him , and we wanted more.

This rumor had 4 to 5 different sources, and anytime a rumor has that many sources it's kind of hard to not think it's real.

Then you add in the that Dallas's backup QB is not any good,so it would make more since than ever for that trade to go down.

So what that guy said was based on a that.

late again likes this.
  24. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    I think if Detroit is going to go after a quarterback in the off-season they will want to get a vertern (like Donovan McNabb). they already have a young quarterback in Drew Stanton.

25. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I see him going to the bears

26. Straz

Mar 23, 2008
    Really? I can't see that happening. With that team, if they wanted a different quarterback besides Orton next year, I think they would make a run at McNabb or a vet quarterback.

27. Straz

Mar 23, 2008
    The last thing Chicago wants is another unproven quarterback, and that's what John Beck is.

28. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    theyre going to need an option in case they cant get a vet. i think theyre getting tired of the current 3-way QB circus they got there and want to start fresh.

29. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the info. That makes it "likely" that he will end up a Cowboy, but there's certainly some "doubt" involved. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I hate it when people claim to know the future with any certainty.

30. I dont know if we are shopping Beck at all. If Henne and Beck are both progressing in camp then I would say we have a very solid QB situation for the moment. If we were to shop Beck I think the most likely trade partner would be Baltimore. Even though they got Flacco a solid backup is always a good idea. Cam saw something in Beck that he liked, so I would think it would stand to reason he might be persuaded to part with a late rnd pick to sure up their QB situation. It will be intresting to see how much playing time he gets in the next preseason if he is still on this team next year.

31. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Yep , i get what your saying.

What i hate most is when people say "Mark My Words" then they go on with their madden story or whatever and real life is more f'up then any story they could dream up.Who thought last year JT would be on the Skin's and ZT would be a Cowboy.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  32. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Everytime I see a thread on quarterbacks my mind ponders what could have been if we had taken Drew Brees when we had the chance. I know, another what if, but I am just putting my thoughts out there to see if anyone else has thought about what could have been?

33. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I dont think Beck has a future with this team.
    He could be traded to the 9ers or Cowboys in the offseason IMO.

34. anlgp

I don't see them going after a vet QB. Why? They need so many other things and since that big trade with Dallas giving away their future they have a plethora of picks to draft other (and IMO) more important positions (LT, DLine, Oline, LBer) than they do a QB who only has a few more years left in him.

35. I always think about if did what the broncos did that year. Give our 2nd rnder up to trade up in the draft to get Cutler and then we should of signed steve hutchingson. I was on record to saying no to Culpepper, no to Brees, no to Harrington and no to Jason Allen. To me that was the two moves that Saban really blew it on. He of course compounded the situation by passing on Brees too.

36. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I always wanted Brees. Too bad for us.

37. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Nah.

From what I saw of BQ when he was in for the Browns the guy is just as good if not better than Beck at this point.

Even if the trade deadline wouldn't have passed I wouldn't see them pulling the trigger.

38. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

As I've said before, I'll say again, Johnny is going to be a starter somewhere in this league. I just hope trading him doesn't come back to bite us in the rear.

With Penny's inability to remain healthy, his history proves that its just a matter of time guys, Henne goes in and if John is gone where does that leave us next year? Henne gets hurt or even worse doesn't become what we all hope he will we are then back to square one. Thanks but no thanks, we've been down that road for the last 9 years.:wink2:

Coral Reefer likes this.
  39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He was a great Hurricane for us but he's an awful NFL QB. He'll never be a starter full-time IMO.

Also, scratch John Beck off of the possibility of going to the Browns. They picked up Bruce Gradkowski.

ProFootballTalk.com - Rumor Mill