1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there anyway to evaluate the passing game ( WR, QB ) from TV Broadcast?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mbmonk, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    There has been a lot of talk, including me, about WR's and QB's in the passing game.

I don't think you can really evaluate either position from TV broadcasts. The camera is so zoomed in on 'the box' that you really can't see far downfield (even in HD). I find it hard to evaluate with any real authority the following things:

1) WR route running skills - If they do cuts that are more than 5 yards past the LOS then you aren't going to see it. You can see how they get off the jam and how they block, but the actual routes are normally hard to evaluate.

2) QB reading Defenses - Since you can't see either the route combinations that the WR's are running or the defense the secondary is truly in it's hard to tell if the QB is making the right read 100% of the time. The one thing you can tell is if the QB is throwing into double coverage or throwing near picks. That is a sign he ISN'T reading defenses. But at the same time if the QB throws the check down all day, as a TV viewer, I just have to assume that nobody was open.

3) Play calling - Without seeing the WR route combo's and the Defenses it's hard to tell if we are calling the right plays. People can rightfully say, why are we going play action on 4th and 15. Because you can see that part of the play, but you can't really see what coverages the WR's routes are attacking.

I am actually making this thread to see if anyone has a method on how to judge any of these things. I haven't come up with jack squat on it. The only time you get the whole picture is when the run the replay from the overhead position and then you can see it all.

I know KC Joyner does all of his breakdowns from the TV broadcast. I feel like you can evaluate players in the trenches, but WR's, QB's, DB's, Safeties it's much hard to judge and then you are forced to rely on stats.

Anyone? Anyone?

2. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    bump. Anyone

3. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I have no idea buddy.

4. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    It is my understanding that the 11 on 11 coaches' game tape is unavailable to the general public.

mbmonk likes this.
  5. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    The only way I know of is to ask people who are acually at the game.One thing I do know is you do not need special cameras to see these bums drop pass, after pass, after pass.

6. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    You get the whole picture by seeing that our passing game sucks. You can disect, trisect, or do whatever you will, and you will still find out that our passing game sucks. Hope this was a help. :)

7. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    The question, however, is to analyze why our passing game sucks in order to change things so it no longer sucks. I suspect there's multiple iterations of stuff going on here that has nothing to do with these people suddenly forgetting how to catch the ball. But if I knew what-all it is, I'd leave my office and try to get a job coaching football. I'm not planning on leaving my office any time soon.

8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You can analyze the passing game from a stat sheet. Now, in order to analyze who's fault our passing game sucks, you need to see the film and possibly be a fly on the wall during practice etc.

The bad habits are not unique to one WR but is pretty endemic to the whole corps. We may need to start looking top down instead of bottom up

9. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    I know you can look at stats but that doesn't always give you an actual representation. The Ginn drop that turned into a pick 6 is a perfect example. If you just looked at the stat sheet then it looks like Henne made a mistake. But it was Ginn's fault on that one.

Regardless thanks for the help.