1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Vontae Davis an option at FS?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Trowa, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    This isn't a thread to bash Gibril Wilson or Yeremiah Bell so please don' take it there. That being said, I'm still uncertain we're going to get the level of play we expect out of our FS position. I'm also not sold on Vontae Davis as our nickel back. I know Vontae isn't the tallest or the fastest guy, but those of you who know more about him that me, do you think there's a chance we'll see him at FS this season, and do you think he can succeed at that position?

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Vontae is really fast, and a good tackler so a move to FS would not surprise but Y Bell and G Wilson are likely to be our Safeties for the next 3 years, so any move would require an injury to one or the other, and we have Chris Clemons as a back up.

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The chance of VD at FS this season is about .000001%.

Ohio Fanatic and MrClean like this.
  4. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I think Smith, being 6'4, would be a better option at FS. But face it, were stuck with Wilson/Culver this year.

CitizenSnips likes this.
  5. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Clemons could start at Safety before the season's out.

But not Davis.

SICK, gafinfan and adamprez2003 like this.
  6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I was actually hoping Smith was intended to play FS for us when we picked him. Seemed to make sense with taking vontae a round earlier.

Obviously smith has proven he is more than capable at Cb, but i STILL think he'd be a better safety. His size, his ball skills, playing center field? come on, whose going deep on a 6'4 safety? NOBODY, thats who.

I'll settle for smith being one of the best cbs in league...i guess

FinSane likes this.
  7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Ask Pat Watkins I bet he could tell you.

Silverphin and MrClean like this.
  8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Are you using a 5th rounder as a basis for why Sean Smith couldn't do it? If I were Smith, i'd be insulted.

9. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm using another 6'4" guy as a basis of who can go deep on such a player. I never mentioned draft status or that Sean Smith couldn't do it. I was just saying Pat would know who would be willing to go deep on a 6'4" safety.

And Pat at least has experience at S, unlike Smith who is still new to the cb position.

10. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA

i just googled the dude. i have no idea who is. Although im instantly intrigued. Has he been any good?

11. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He was arguably ok early on, but he has been on the bubble in Dallas recently.

12. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Zach Thomas is available. Mayeb we could sign him to play Free Safety...

13. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Davis could move to safety in the latter part of his career because of his physicality but I don't know if he has the instincts for it. As for Smith playing S, CK has touched on it many times and it just isn't happening anytime soon. Like CK said, the guy has only played on defense a couple of years and now your trusting him to make the right coverage calls from the back end? Let him be a boundary corner where he has definitely shown a lot of promise and then later in his career after he develops a better understanding of the game you could move him to safety.

14. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    He is better at strong safety. It would take advantage of his hitting ability better.

15. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    we've already got two linebackers starting at safety, BA-ZING!

16. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Watkins is 6'5" BTW.

17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    we have chris clemons who looked great for a rookie. why are we talking about moving a promising cb to a position that will probably be in great hands for the next ten years

18. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    While were at it, we could give Juan Huron a try at FS...

19. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    We needed a ball hawk to pair with Y Bell......we didn't get one.

Regardless of the money spent on the position already, we may be forced to address it again next off season. That would hurt..

20. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Let's Assess Vontae and Sean as Safeties then...

Vontae Davis

Pro's: Very fast, athletic, quick change of direction, aggressive hitter/tackler, plays better coming forwards with things in front of him.

Con's: Bites on playaction, double moves, and misdirection very aggressively and gets out of position, plays better coming forwards, which is a problem if chasing WRs on deep routes. Rookie.

Sean Smith

Pro's: Tall, great vertical leap and hands for interceptions, size.

Con's: Doesn't hit as aggressively as his size would suggest, limited knowledge of defensive coverage calls after converting from wide-receiver only a couple of years ago. Rookie.

To me, neither one is well-suited to being a great safety at this point. I think Vontae, once he gets older and more experienced, could become a good safety if his skill-set at CB begins to diminish. I would only put Sean Smith at Free Safety and he'd need to be paired with a real hitter at SS for run support. I don;t think he's ideal in our system as it requires both safeties be strong against the run.

21. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    You forgot Davis' Pro of being able to smack players who have called for a fair catch.....or is that a Con :shifty:

Bpk likes this.