1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its Now Tony's Team, not Bill's

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan94, Dec 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Before the season, I think everybody trusted Parcells and knew nothing about Sparano. [mod] lets stay away from calling people names please, focus on the thread[/mod]

Thus, whenever a Dallas player came to Miami, or a former Parcells player, it was because they knew Bill's system(And not the Buffalo Bills). Throughout the season, as the team and record improved, and Sparano proved himself, I have seen a change in that. Parcell's is sometimes even forgotten.

An example is this article:A simple plan: If Miami Dolphins win final four games, they win division - Miami Dolphins - MiamiHerald.com

Under "Replacing Smiley", it shows a clear example for this. And he didnt play for Sparano. He played for Parcells, who was the HC at the time.

I really like how this season has turned out. And I cant even thing how tough this season is going to be. Hopefully its a short one.

2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I think the better wording would be its Tony's team now. Its still relies very much on the philosophies of Parcells system, and most all the coaches do have ties to Parcells and his style.

But there is no doubt that Tony has won them over.

3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Did you see this in the comments... :up:

[​IMG]

Larryfinfan, Blade, Straz and 13 others like this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I like the fact that Sparano talks to the media, he isn't petulant Saban redux, and he's also not Goofy Cameron, Johnson moving to guard is on the table, and at least Sparano said as much, there was no hemming and hawing..

Bpk, slickj101 and Big E like this.
  5. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    yeah but Sparano was the offensive line coach, i think thats why they said that...

but ive always thought it was Sparano's team, people want to give Bill all the credit, while yes he is there for support, he wasn't making all the decisions... I give 100x more credit to Ireland and Sparano, and I thank Bill for bringing them on...

dolphindebby likes this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I've got to say HC Sparano passed his first leadership challenge when Joey Porter apologized to the team and HC Sparano for not leaving the field during the Patriots loss.

I'm not enough of a fan to know if Taylor and Parcells had any similar problems in NY, but I do think Tuna talked to HC Sparano about how to handle the situation.

7. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

Taylor was a wild child and Parcells pretty much left him alone, but it was a different time, you didn't have all the testing you have now, there was not the big focus on after hours as there is now. Players did not get suspended like they do now.

But you can look at Parcells and T.O., and its been said dealing with T.O. drove Parcells away from coaching.

8. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yeah, that's why. But it was still Parcell's, the OC's offense. Sparano didnt call the plays

9. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He did call plays two years ago if I remember right. before Garrett came in.

Mile High Fin likes this.
  10. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Can you please stop ruining my thread? JK

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  11. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

:lol: I just check, Sparano did not have the title of OC, but did the play calling in 2006.

sorry. :sad:

:hi5:

12. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008

You're doing it again you stupid New Jersian! :cry:

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    remember.... the apple does'nt fall to far from the tree...Look what tom coughlin has done in new york...... That team plays the right way. Parcells is orchestrating everything, and letting his people do what their best at, and having the ability to recognise it.

14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol Hemming and hawing is a very nice way to put it.

Cameron danced around media questions like a journalistic ballerina.

Sparano answers your question as directly as possible, then glares at you to make sure you understood what he just said.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'm sure they bounce ideas around and go to each other with suggestions. Why wouldn't they?

No doubt it's Tony's show though. I'm sure Bill has unlimited input, but Sparano has the final say as to what he wants for his team. No doubt Bill respects that. I can't see Parcells being the type to hire a guy just to be his puppet.

16. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I think your contradicting yourself a little. If Parcells had done everything in NY and had complete control of everything, then after he left, the success would've stopped. But no, the success has continued for awhile.

And the same thing is going to happen here. Bill is going to stay for a few years, teach Sparano and Ireland(not by doing everything), but let them do their job, and slowly give them control of the team, and leave them when they're in good shape, and its off to the next mission.
    Whenever they show Parcells on TV during games, I can see no headset, no nothing. That means he is not coaching this team. He might call one of the coordinators every once in awhile, but thats about it. Or he might like SoFla and stay here because he's not getting any younger and the weather is nice.

17. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    It's Bill's team, not Tony's. Here's the proof:

[​IMG]

Dang, it shot all the way into the Buffalo's brain! :shifty: :tongue2:

But in all seriousness, I think Parcells does have very significant input in how the team's run most likely during team meetings. May not be 100% but it just seems like at least half.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    For what its worth, I recall Sparano saying in a presser that he, Jeff and Bill meet every week in the office and discuss things off the field and on. There's a real possibility that they could have discussed the issue.

padre31 likes this.
  19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    There was a huge dropoff after bill left the giants, then eventually one of his disciples put it back on track. I can only hope he puts the same blueprint on our team then he did with the giants in their glory years. I want that tough NFC east mentality to flourish down here, its exactlt what we need and we are well on our way to achieving it.

I also dont believe bill is going anywhere, on any other mission. He will not rest until the mission is complete.

20. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Exactly. And with the way its looking, that might only be 2-3 years until we win a SB. Or are you talking about when he ultimately retires from the NFL?

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think this is bills last stop...It has to be, his legacy awaits this exclamation point.

All the elements and signs point to him being here until he retires, to his jupiter home 100 miles down the street.

22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

dj, that's a good thought...Parcells has an ego the size of the Atlantic Ocean. He wants, he needs....this exclamation point on his career. That said, I really don't think Bill is micromanaging Tony's efforts...It would have come out by now because the media would have a field day with the Tuna wandering up and down Tony's back every minute of the day. It's a story that is just waiting to happen, because the media really wants it to happen...but I don't think it will...I, like most here, think Sparano is his own man. He takes whatever nuggets that Bill passes along and I'm sure there are conversations, probably daily, but I really think he calls the shots even though he probably knows there are limits as to what he can call, I doubt he's afraid or wary of making those calls one way or the other...

The area that the Tuna will be missed, IMHO, is in talent evaluation...he has a knack for knowing what guys are capable of...hopefully, I'm reading into this too much too, and Ireland 'is his own man' as well...that area isn't very public, like the Sparano/Parcells relationship so we don't and probably won't know until A.P. (after Parcells)...

23. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I am so thankful it's Sparanos team.
    I've always been leery of bp. I'm glad he stays in the back ground and Tony IS the head coach and doing a good job of it.
    Don't start in on me because I don't like him, it goes way back and it's just my opinion of him. :wink2:

24. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Unlike his limited obligations had been to Dallas as a HC, his task here is/was to build the organization. If he does leave, he'll be far less apt to raid this team, as he did with Jerry Jones.
    I presume his tenure here will last as long as his duties are needed, or until the next owner comes calling for similiar services.

If he's already tapped most of his preferred assistants, then his career may very well close out in Miami, a fitting finale nonetheless.