1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jack Bauer is BACK!

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Jt0323, May 10, 2013.

1. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
  2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Wonder what limited series means. Does it mean only 1 or 2 seasons or shorten the series to only 12 episodes or so (yes insert people *****ing that it's called 24 yet only shows 12 hours).

I actually think the show would be better off just going with shorter seasons, that way they can focus on 1 threat and get rid of the boring filler episodes. Since, usually the show starts off great and slows down by episode 7 or 8 then picks up until episode 15 or 16 then picks up around episode 20.

I do hope they bring Chase back too as James Badge Dale has been slowly rising as an actor now and could benefit by a fresh face with Jack.

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Limited series means 12 episodes. FOX is suppose to have an official announcement about bringing 24 back on Monday. Looks like this is really happening! So pumped. Just hope they can find a way to bust Tony Almeida out of the slammer.

Jt0323 likes this.
  4. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Seriously this is awesome! I was pissed that Tony did not come back for the final season! hope hes in the new one! This is going to be awesome! Better then a movie!

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well I'm sure if the writers could come up with a good realistic way to bring him back they would but he was put away for treason in Season 7. I would doubt he's coming back but one can hope right?

Again I would like to see Chase return. I thought his character was pretty well done in Season 3 and was actually surprised he never returned, unless the actor refused. I think Chloe being back is an obvious get. Wonder what other past characters they will bring into the mix, if any since most of them are irrelevent or dead now.

I do think the 12 episode seasons will ultimately make the show better though. I'm still in shocked it appears to be coming back. I actually had a conversation with some friends on Wednesday that I wish 24 would come back and The Following would have been better if it was Jack Bauer in the lead role and it was 24 instead. Funny how things work out like that sometimes.

6. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Jack Bauer may be back!?!

They did being him back from the dead they can break him out of prison! I woul love for chase to come back too! I agree 12 episodes is way better. Imagine homeland/dexter was 24 episodes. 12 is better because like you said, less filler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah but I'm much rather watch Tony and Jack fight side by side instead of against each other.

And if Dexter was 24 episodes it would be unwatchable.

I still don't understand (well yeah I do $$$$$) why more network TV stations don't have limited seasons or mini series. Instead they try to suck every penny dry until the show gets old and boring.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  8. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    oh me too! and agreed with Dexter. Breaking bad would not be as good as it is either. Filler really hurts the series, shows a lot about 24.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Oh absolutely and even shows like Dexter or Breaking Bad have those filler episodes where nothing really happens.

It's too bad a show like Lost wasn't made on HBO or Showtime, that show was the definition of filler.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  10. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I agree! LOST is probably my favorite TV Show ever, but man them taking for ever to kill charlie, once you know he was dead meat, even though his Death was well done, and other pro long story lines that could have easily cut down. Amazing show but like you said, would have been better on HBO and Showtime

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Lost went what 6 or 7 seasons? I think if they actually had the whole series mapped out like the originally claimed (which they finally admitted was BS) and the show went 3 or 4 seasons and roughly 70 to 80 episodes it would have been a great show. Instead we got about 2.5 seasons of really good episodes and the rest was eh to filler crap (like the episode about how Jack got his tattoos).

12. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    6 seasons, but I agree. The 2nd season was amazing. Also first Arrested Development and now this!!

13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I loved the 1st season of Lost so much. So much potential. And I liked the 2nd season and probably half of the 3rd too but then the show got very uneven especially when they started asking more questions without any answers or pay offs. One of these days I'm going to rewatch the whole series again and see if I like it more. But man nothing beats the first 2 seasons.

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It's official 24 will be back in May 2014 as a limited 12 episode season. The season will go chronologically over one day but it will skip hours as dictated by the plot.

Awesome news.

EDIT: FOX announced 24's limited series will be titled "24: Live Another Day". I hate that sounds lame.

muscle979 and Jt0323 like this.
  15. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Yeah, name sounds bad, but im pumped its back! This is awesome!

16. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Apparently FOX is starting up a TV mini-series division and wants 24 to be the head line. They stated that this might not just be a 1 and done season.

Either way great to hear that they are open to start doing mini-series.

17. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    thats awesome! I was telling my buddy before the news broke that they should bring it back because its better then anything on network tv. It left on a bad note, and a couple of seasons would be awesome! And like you said, 12 episodes is better then 24!

18. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    With the new 12 episode seasons, the writers should be able to do wonders with the franchise now and probably restart it and do it well. They were very limited as to what they could and couldn't do with the clock gimmick and after the 3rd season you could tell they really had a tough time keeping things fresh and interesting. Even the worst seasons (in my mind) that was every season after Season 5 there was still enough in there that if they got rid of some of the filler stuff and crap storylines could have put together at least 8 or 9 really really good episodes.

I will say something that they really need to do is build a new core of characters and make the viewers care about them. One of the biggest things the writers did wrong was not build new characters through out multiple seasons. It gave the viewers no reason to care about them because we didn't get to know them, especially since some of them were killed off just for shock value and not because the story needed it. I think the biggest thing is to introduce a "new Jack Bauer" type of character, they tried in Season 6 with Mike Doyle and Season 8 with Freddie Prinze, but a lot of that was due to bad writing but a new field agent is a must.

19. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas

I forget but did Freddy prince character die? I liked him. Wonder I'd cloe will still be head of ctu. I'm gonna go back and rewatch the series before the new one airs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    No Freddie didn't die. I would assume Chloe would be Head of CTU but who knows right now.

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It's been awhile since we had some 24 news but Chloe and also Audrey Raines will be back for 24. Chloe was an obvious return but Audrey is kind of surprising. We last saw her doped up from the Chinese. Wonder if she's going to be the key to bring Jack Bauer back into the fold, maybe her father is now the President of the US?

22. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I did like 24 back when but I am not sure that I will again.The actors are older .I am older and life has moved on.Will give it a try though especially that a couple of my favorite series Dexter and Breaking Bad are ending.:yes:

23. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas

Well you can watch the new AMC thriller "better call Saul"

CrunchTime likes this.
  24. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    It's not like it's Miami Vice. The last season was 2010 lol

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah, I think if anything having it be a limited/short season of only 12 episodes is encouraging so it's not the same old 24 formula and it gives the writers ways to be more creative. The one thing I do worry about is how they will get Jack back and involved because last time we saw him he had to flee the country or be arrested and make it be realistic. Of course I say that now but once Jack is back in action screaming at bad guys and doing Jack Bauer things I probably won't care. I'm pretty excited to have Jack Bauer back in my life again, especially since I felt the last few seasons were a let down. Really ever since the peak of series in Season 5 we haven't had a good season in my opinion.

26. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I have been re-watching the whole series on DirecTV's Audience network. They just finished Day 6. The series has held up very well, imo. I remembered season 6 as sucking pretty bad, but it's not that accurate. If they had used 12 hours for Day 6, it would be outstanding. The scene where the Chinese use the old 'come in through the sewers' trick to take over CTU would never have made the cut in a 12 hour format.

The interplay between what is going on in the White House vs. what is happening in the field was still very good despite the new characters. I see no reason why that can't work now

The use of technology is going to be interesting too with the advancements over the last couple of years.

I'm not too worried on how they get Jack back either.

My only wish is that we could have a more hardcore version of it on premium cable

27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah I actually rewatched the whole series about 6 months ago. I think Season 6 is by far the worst season but you're right there are still 10 to 12 really good episodes in there. The main issues I have with the series as a whole is the same storylines happening each year like the President being under attack and the VP would have to take over or there's a mole in one of the government agencies etc. and some of the filler stuff with secondary characters which hopefully with the shorter seasons will cut the fat out.

maynard likes this.
  28. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    New season of 24 is set to begin filming in January in London, England. No word if the whole season will take place there or just part of "the day". Really interested in seeing how they bring Jack back and who else is getting cast.

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    FOX just confirmed that Kim Raver (Audrey) will be back along with her father James Heller. I'm wondering if Heller is going to end up being the President for the new season. Either way fantastic news as Heller was a pretty good character.

30. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Anyone on TV more overrated than Jack Bauer?

31. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Everyone

muscle979 likes this.
  32. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I'm almost done with Day 7. The entire season is some seriously contrived bull****

Jack Bauer is going to die!

Tony is dead. No he is alive! Tony is bad. No he is good. No he is bad. No he's........

The FBI has a warrant with a direct order form POTUS, just to search this building in the private army base. You know, like when the cops have a warrant for your house, they only search this closet and if they can't find what they are looking for in the closet they politely leave

General Juma successfully assaulting the White House. This is the real world equivalent of Saddam Hussein personally leading an assault on the White House.

Of course there are some things that were pretty cool and the change of setting was nice. Having the season set in DC helped a lot with the drive times of the characters too. It was a nice change up. I also happened to like the sub plot of the President's husband finding out about the death of his son. But by the end of the season it is even less than an afterthought. I'm not completely sure a 12-hour version of this would have worked though

33. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah they either should have kept Tony as a good guy helping Jack or the main villain from the start. The flip flopping really hurt his character. Plus I feel like his character should have somehow escaped at the end. I hated the Jack is dying subplot especially the very last scene of the series. Plus they wasted Jon Voight's character who was pretty interesting.

maynard likes this.
  34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Some 24 news as the writers, producers and stars held a press conference today, some of it might be mini-spoilers but nothing major so continue reading at your own risk:

- New 12 episode mini season starts Monday, May 5th with a 2 hour premiere, then continue every Monday at 9:00pm.

- Each episode will be an hour in real time, however their could be time jumps between episodes, i.e. episode 3 might take place at 5 pm and episode 6 might take place at 10 pm. The whole season will take place on 1 day.

- It will take place in London, or at least start in London and set 4 years after the events of Season 8.

- James Heller is the new President of the US and his daughter Audrey is working in his administration so she won't be a zombie anymore.

- Kim Bauer could possibly be back but if she is it would be towards the end of the season but the writers wouldn't comment without giving away any plot points.

- They gave a no comment about Tony Almeida returning.

- Yvonne Strahovski (from Chuck and most recently played Dexter's lover) has been cast as a CIA Agent in charge of tracking down Jack. Chloe and Jack aren't on friendly terms when the season starts.

- The 24 movie is still on the table and still could happen in the future, but this season has not taken any material or plot points from the movie script.

All and all I'm pretty excited to have Jack Bauer back, I missed him and with the shorter season I have high hopes the writers will cut the boring subplots out and just focus on the good stuff. I also think having the freedom to jump in time gives them more options in doing things. Can't wait for May.

maynard and muscle979 like this.
  35. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    This is going to be epic! 5-5-14! SO PUMPED!

36. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    [video=youtube;fo4_r5RlBII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4_r5RlBII[/video]

37. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Quick question. I haven't watched the series since season 1 and only made it halfway through. Im going to rewatch season 1 in prep for this. Which other seasons are must see?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'd say Seasons 1-5 are a must, just great action, twists and stories from there things start to get repeative. Season 6 is the worst so you can absolutely skip that one but just read the Wiki page of that season so you know what happens to certain characters. Season 7 is pretty good though and Season 8 is decent. If you have the time definitely watch the first 5 seasons then read up on the rest because there will be some tie ins to Seasons 6-8.

maynard likes this.
  39. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Started Season 2 of 24, going to try and watch them all before season 9 again. I will skip season 6 for obvious reasons

40. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    CTU just blew up! Man when this show was good, nothing beat it! Can't wait for the new season!