1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jack Bauer is BACK!

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Jt0323, May 10, 2013.

1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The first 5 or 6 episodes of Season 6 are fine, once the nuke goes off in LA, that's when it gets bad.

Yeah really the first 5 seasons were simply great TV. Sure there was some bad storylines each season (Teri getting amnesia in Season 1, Kim hanging out with Johnny Drama in the woods in Season 2, most of David Palmer's storyline in Season 3, Driscoll and her daughter in Season 4 and Martha Logan being a nut ball in Season 5). Unfortunately after that 24 kind of became a parody of itself with multiple recycled storylines. But I think people forget just how great the show was.

In the the weaker seasons there is still some good stuff in there and if the seasons were cut down to 12 episodes instead of the 24 they would have been much better, which is why I have really high hopes for the series now they aren't trapped in the 24 episodes, 1 hour per episode gimmick.

2. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    12 episodes is huge. No filler. Imagine breaking bad being 24 episodes. Would not be as highly regarded if it was.

maynard likes this.
  3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Or The Wire or The Sopranos. Having to fill up 20 plus episodes per season is really tough to do as naturally the writers will run out good ideas or things for characters to do. Imagine The Sopranos having 24 episode seasons? We would get at least 10 "Tony dream episodes" per season or more of Vito traveling around New England eating pancakes.

I wonder how good a show like Lost (which was the definition of filler episodes) would have been if it was simply 5 or 6 seasons with 65 to 70 episodes max.

gunn34 and MikeHoncho like this.
  4. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Me too. It pains me that lost gets the negativity it does. I love LOST, season 2 and 3 were amazing. The characters were awesome, filler killed this show and I wish the 12 episode shows started earlier

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The 1st season of Lost was simply fantastic and even the 2nd was pretty good but for me it started slowly losing steam and going way downhill in Season 3, although the final episode of that season was great and could have saved the show had it not been for all the time traveling stuff that started. Once that happened and the viewers realized we were never going to get answers to some of the important questions they had been teasing it just turned into hate watching. Although

Just thinking about where the show started in Season 1 and where it ended makes me mad. I still can't believe that final season. Like night and day to where the series started and ended. I really need to go back and rewatch that series to see if time can heal those bad memories and maybe now I know what's going to happen if it will change my views on the series. I own every season on DVD and that's so far the only series I own that I haven't gone back and rewatched, I think the final season still has the original plastic wrapping on it.

6. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I hated the extra DVD where they cheaply explained unanswered questions. I may rewatch,

7. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think I might have seen that on YouTube when the DVDs first came out, was it with Hurley and Ben?

I mean I get that the writers were never going to reveal all of the unanswered questions, which I was fine with but the ones they answered/didn't answer really bugged me. The writers got way too wrapped up in adding more and more questions without having the slightest idea of the pay off and kept using the old "we'll figure it out later". And not even about that stuff, the writing and storylines just got bad and boring and confusing.

It was a big wasted potential show for me. It could have been an all time classic TV series and instead is either completely forgotten about or viewed as a joke/cautionary tale.

gunn34 likes this.
  8. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I agree and it makes me sad. It went down hill really when the Red Sox won the World Series, I blame then

Ray Finkle likes this.
  9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    This is actually very very true.

10. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Also Martha Logan storyline was one of my least favorite storylines in the whole show. She was my least favorite character next to Omarosa first lady

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah that storyline was pretty odd and kept it going for way too long and to randomly bring her back in Season 6 to attempt to kill Charles was silly too.

12. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Ray, you think Tony is going to be in LAD, I hope some way he is. I feel like we never really got closure with his character with his double double double double agent stunt and getting arrested.

13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Sadly no. Tony was probably my favorite character after Jack but the way it ended in Season 7 I have a hard time believing he'll ever be back unfortunately. I think they really dropped the ball on his character ever since his "death" in Season 5. Tony could have and should have been Jack's running partner in Season 7 & 8. I think the viewers got closure with his character, it just wasn't very good.

The other character I really wish they would bring back is Chase. I really liked his character in Season 3, I just didn't get the hate for him at the time. Having him in season 5 helping Jack because Jack couldn't trust anyone would have made a lot of sense and he would have been a much better replacement for Mike Doyle in Season 6 or Freddie Prinze's character in Season 8. I wonder why they never brought him back and now he has a pretty decent movie career going so I doubt they would ever be able to get him back full time.

I also HATED the way the seemingly killed off Wayne Palmer, in fact I have a lot of problems with almost every major character's deaths since Season 5.

14. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Hated Wayne end game. Still have no idea whats his status, I really hope some way some how Tony comes back. I am 10 hrs in season 2! This season is intense! Jack just got hostage by Nina!

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I thought Wayne as President had a lot of potential. I really wish they played the angle where people thought he only got elected because of his brother's death and they didn't think he could be a strong enough leader.

Season 2 is all kinds of great.

16. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    after rewatching season 2 and just finishing I am more confident that the 12 episodes is huge. They found the bomb with about 7 episodes to spare, I was already ready for season 3 at that point. And thats with a strong season. Rewatching season 3 now, Jacks on drugs! Havent watch these in a long time, and while I remember a lot, there are a lot I forgot. Also being a lot older I understand a lot more now then I did when I was younger

17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah the first 3 seasons usually had 2 major story lines each season. Season 1 was finding Jack's wife & daughter and then finding who is targeting him and Palmer and why. Season 2 was finding the bomb and then finding the people responsible for it. Season 3 is getting rid of the Salazars and then finding the virus. If you split any of those seasons in half it would be nearly flawless. 12 episodes is going to work out for them, I'm just hoping there won't be any more moles in CTU or anything like that.

I really love Season 3, it's probably my favorite cast. The only weak stuff is really David Palmer's storyline. My only disappointment is that they didn't tie in the assassination attempt on Palmer at the end of Season 2 to 3. They just briefly mentioned it and moved on, which started the whole "we might mention things that might have happened off camera really quickly or might just ignore it because it doesn't matter anymore" gag. I would have liked to see that the people behind the virus in Season 3 tried to take out Palmer in Season 2. I also like how Jack is hooked on heroin and then half way through Season 3 the writers probably realized it was getting harder to write Jack being a junkie so Ramon gave him some "pills" and he was fine. But hey maybe that can happen in real life, I've never been on heroin to know haha.

18. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I am watching season 3 and man I want that CTU jacket tony wears in season 3

19. Oghma

Oghma Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Scotland
    Can't wait for this to start. Just finished watching season 8 in preparation.

I recognise it could really go either way, but I'm so glad it's going to be back on regardless.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. It wasn't amazing but it was perfectly acceptable viewing. Should be a good series. The only thing that I question is Heller forgetting things, we don't need yet another staff member trying to get rid of the President while he's still in office as it would make 11 Presidents in 9 seasons of 24 which I believe takes place in a total of 15 or 16 years but I'm willing to hold judgement until we see where it's going.

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Seems like the show is going in a Season 1 storyline of revenge. Again, I enjoyed the episode but didn't think it was anything special. 24 has always been a dark show but man killing off Chloe's husband and especially son is pretty dark.

22. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Enjoyed last nights, setting things up. I liked Morris so sad to see he is no longer with us!

23. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Im liking it so far. Most importantly, nothing cheesy yet

24. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    No new posts in over a month?

Anyway my feelings on the season are the same. I'm enjoying it but don't find anything in it amazing or ground breaking. I'm glad it's back don't get me wrong but it's the same old same old in terms of coping old story lines and plots, though much better than any of the previous few seasons. I've given up hope that we are going to get another great season so I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride kind of treating it like a summer blockbuster movie now where I know it won't win an Oscar but just want to have fun and be entertained.

Not sure how it's doing rating wise or if it will get picked up for another season but I hope it does.

25. dolphinkev

dolphinkev Active Member

Jun 2, 2008
    CHARLESTON SC
    Now that what You call taking one for the Team on last night episode.

26. Oghma

Sep 7, 2010
    Scotland
    I just finished watching the finale and came on to comment about it.

This post here pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about the season. Enjoyed it, would watch more, don't think it's as special as it once was.

27. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Im not sure what there is left to do with Jack. I think you have to either kill him or turn him bad.

28. Oghma

Sep 7, 2010
    Scotland
    I've thought for a long time that they should kill Jack at the end, but the possibility of more seasons and money will probably stop that happening.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Was away on vacation so I finally got to watch the last episode and one word to describe it and the whole season in general is "eh". Its pretty clear the writers have no more original ideas left and there's really nothing left for the Jack character to do so its probably a good idea just to end the series like they did. I'm happy the series came back but this season was simply more of the same and while it had its moments overall it wasn't anything to get excited about. The series had a great run and was glad to see Jack again, I would have liked to see another scene with Jack and Heller together after Audrey's death with Heller thanking help for his service though.