1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jaguars@Dolphins game thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    (I missed a pretty decent chunk of the early 4th quarter on account of serious white trash running amok. People got 8$ bud light limes and a neck tattoo and all of a sudden they don't know how to act)

I think Ryan Tannehill had a pretty good game, but let's not go crazy about it. I don't think it's evidence of anything he hasn't done before, and shouldn't be regarded as any sort of breakout. It was encouraging to see, but he's still got work to do.

Mike Sherman and the offensive coaching staff deserve credit. People complain about play-calling because the offense isn't very prolific and [insert connection here], but they've done a lot of good work in getting things going.

Getting Tannehill involved in the run game in absence of any sort of regularity from the backs was a nice touch. Tannehill has made reference to Sherman not really liking the option plays in Texas A&M, but he's got a talent running the ball. He's very nimble, follows blocks well, and doesn't expose himself to hits, and I'd like to see it a more regular part of the game-plan.

Reggie Bush had a very characteristic game this year. He had a couple good runs and a load of bad runs. The good outweighed the bad this week, but it's very much the same deal as the rest of the season. I'm not sure how you contextualize what he's done this year, if a couple of drive-making runs outweigh all the 1-2 yard runs.

Congratulations on Brian Hartline getting 1,000 yards, it's a pity he's stupid and gay and no one likes him.

I think the offense would have been better off if they had a higher level of involvement from Fasano earlier in the season. He's not the answer as a #1 TE in the modern league, but he's been largely relegated to a safety valve and he's got more to offer than short out routes.

The offensive line played pretty solid today. I'm hoping more and more that Nate Garner gets retained. The guy's at very least insurance for the growth of Jonathan Martin.

The defensive line had a down line by their standards, but overall it wasn't bad. I think at this point a no-sack game from Wake is almost noteworthy.

I'm wondering what Kheeston Randall did to get into the dog-house, because I don't think he should be taking that kind of backseat to Ton yMcDaniel.

Kevin Burnett is had a good game, and I think he's a really underrated part of the defense. The guy is quietly having a very good season and no one talks about him.

Not a great game from the defensive backfield in general. It's hard not to put it in the context of giving up 3 points while having to rotate through most of your defensive backfield due to short-term injury though.

Reshad Jones didn't have a great game from the get-go, with a pretty bad missed tackle that allowed for a first down conversion. He spent a lot of time down in the box, too.

Chris Clemons made a couple of striking plays, and I'll be curious to see his grade on some of the bigger pass plays when the film comes out.

If we'd have lost, the fake field goal would have been a tremendous issue. It's one of those things that is genius if it works and **** if it doesn't, and personally, I'd rather have the team willing to take those risks than playing it safe.

2. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Hartline had a good game, it was nice to see. I'm obviously not a huge fan, but that doesn't mean that he's not a pretty good player. Congrats to him for hitting 1000 yards.

3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Disgus, did you get put in timeout by stadium security?

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, my problem with the approach to Tannehill is they should ask him to do more via play design, it's as if the staff is schizoid

One week the cut him lose, no stupid 2 yd routes, next week he has the handcuffs on.

When THill is feeling it, he can get the ball up and down as good as anyone I've seen in Miami since Pennington/Marino, he throws a quality slider over defenders and into the basket.

Philosophically, Justin Blackmon was drafted #5 to help out Gabbert, it did not work imo there is a lesson there.

Pandarilla likes this.
  5. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    ^ Pretty much what it sounded like.

6. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yeah, you can't turn chicken **** into duck a l'orange.

And, no. Blackmon was drafted to help out Jax.

7. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I think that's a poor example there Padre. Both Gabbert and Blackmon have fallen very short of expectation. I think even you have to admit Tannehill, while not wowing you, perhaps is still showing you more than you expected at this point.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You think its a good idea to play the same way regardless of the competition? I mean you think our offense is good enough that it can dictate a game at this point, no matter who the defense is?

9. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    The thing about criticizing the play-calling is this: think back to how much you've seen the play-calling criticized negatively, versus how much you've seen it praised. Now imagine what the balance between good and bad play-calling really is in real life.

That disparity is what tells you it's an off-base subjective error that can't possibly be correct.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think the idea is to impose your will on the opponent not to always just take what they give you.

I further think if a coach wants to be successful in Miami they simply must coach players to be better fundamentally, Miami is a town full of distractions and imo it shows up on the field sometimes.

No one has been able to that since JJ.

11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :001_rolleyes: Think back to how we've had an entire offense having to learn the new offense including play-calling and how for most of the year until now we haven't had more dynamic players involved like Matthews & Thigpen b/c they've needed time to acclimate and do some developing.

12. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Quietly, Dan Carpenter is having or of his enter years kicking field goals. See s foolish to say considering his early troubles, but he is now above his career FG conversion percentage, his touchbacks percentage is near the top of the league and he range is back having booted 50+ yard field goals the last two weeks.

Between he and Fields, our kickers are a nice, consistent strength.

Pandarilla likes this.
  13. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    He has been day and night comparing the first and second half of the season. You just have to worry about the bad side of Carp returning again next year.

14. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Someone I was with did. The other people got ejected. It's like every other season I've gone this kind of thing happens, and it's always Dolphins fans, and it's always in the same seats. It's bizarre.

padre31 and ToddPhin like this.
  15. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it's more Tannehill is schizoid. They're running the routes down the field. Right now he's streaky, it's almost like if he has to step up in the pocket a couple of times in one drive he suddenly gets the juices flowing and he's more aggressive and confident.

I think probably the biggest point in case of this is Larry Fitzgerald this year. Dude is having a horrifying year, and I think it's evidence it's very much not a chicken vs. egg type argument. Tannehill is under-served by his receiving targets, but they don't make the quarterback.

16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's a testament to how promising Tannehill is if he can squeeze two thousand yards from Hartline & Bess, meanwhile the Zona QB's can't even muster 700 from Fitz.

Pandarilla, MAFishFan and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Could also be that when you draft a Wr they have a learning curve the same as a Qb, Blackmon has come to life with better Qb play from Henne, but he is also not Megatron et al by any means.

Just tossing that out there for those who believe drafting a Wr high is a panacea.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well that sucks.

Condolences Bro, y'all just went to watch a ball game not to have a Drama sketch.

Disgustipate likes this.
  19. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I don't buy drafting one with our first pick. Especially since there are some nice pass rushers coming out this year. However I would like to see a WR and a TE drafted between rounds 2 and 4 (with a CB in there somewhere) while doubling on WR later also.

20. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    In my only trip to Joe Robbie Stadium, I nearly saw someone get flung over the first row of the upper deck during a fight. Granted, it was a Dolphins vs. Jets game, but man, at the end of the day it's only football.

21. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Not really. He really had two bad games all season and you could argue that it was really one (first Jets game). Other than that, he has been pretty consistent and getting better as the season goes on.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Right, but that's why I also asked to you honestly think we have enough talent to impose our will? Because no one does. Since we don't, strategy is most important.