1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jake Grove vs Joe Berger - Video

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Conuficus, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    The other day I asked whether or not Berger could in fact replace Grove as the starter at center in 2010. This idea wasn't met with a great deal of acceptance. As such, I thought the best way to analyze this would be to actually watch the two players compete.

Jake Grove missed the final 4 games of the 2009 season and was limited in 2 others as he did not start them. Joe Berger filled in for Grove down the stretch.

I am not going to talk about my stance yet, I'd rather let the videos speak for them selves by allowing you to decide which side of the fence you fall on; if at all. The coaching staff has been giving Berger a good number of reps with the first team thus far during camp. I don't know if it is a reward; which some coaches do for players who are the stars of Voluntary Workouts and such. Or, if there is an open competition going on at the pivot.

Enjoy.

Jake Grove

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lc9WFs7ric"]YouTube- ‪Universal Draft Presents - Jake Grove - Center - Miami Dolphins‬‎[/ame]

Joe Berger
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qe_I_S7EU4"]YouTube- ‪Universal Draft Presents - Joe Berger - Center - Miami Dolphins‬‎[/ame]

GARDENHEAD and emocomputerjock like this.
  2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Jake Grove is the better center & our starter

3. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    ....and if Berger beats him out,he deserves to start. The main thing is "staying" healthy also and Berger has the upper hand in that category to.I've felt that Joe will(and has) been given the opportunity to unseat Jake.He's doing a fine job,we'll see how it pans out.
    Nice to have some depth there no matter who wins out.May the best man win.

4. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    i don't think we go wrong either way. both anchor well and get to the 2nd level really well. joe handled wilfork really good and jake handled jenkins and puha really good. i went in the the videos thinking grove was way better but joe surprised me.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Berger came into the NFL as a Guard, it would not surprise if Berger won a Starting job and Richie Incognito moved to backup C/G.

6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I like Joe but I just dont see any part of Berger's game that truly outshines Grove's. IMO Grove is better in virtually all aspects including awareness, getting to the 2nd level, explosiveness out of his stance, agility, pulling, and pass pro. I see Grove doing things that Berger needs help from double teams at times to accomplish.

Maybe they just want Berger seeing more reps b/c Jake's injury history is no secret.... making sure the backup is well prepared while at the same time limiting the snaps of a an injury prone player so he's healthy come season. ??????

I love seeing Jake downfield leading the way for Ricky at the 9:05 mark.

MrClean likes this.
  7. danloc04

danloc04 New Member

May 29, 2008
    I somehow ended up watching Jake Long the entire time in both these videos...

GARDENHEAD and Fin-Omenal like this.
  8. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Jenkins skews the grading scale. Berger looked to be the better blocker in those videos, but Jenkins was a monster compared to Wilfork for some reason.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Berger has a better chance of winning @ starting guard position