1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jake Long vs Walter Jones Kick Slide Examination and Jake Points Per Request.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Conuficus, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    In the last two installments of this “series” (as that is what this now is and has become) I compared Jake’s kick slide time with that of Vernon Carey and Joe Thomas. I was pleasantly surprised that Jake actually managed to beat Joe Thomas’s time albeit not by more than 0.05 of a second, which in terms of real life time is pretty minute. I chose Tomas as previously stated because both Jake and he would have been considered 1 and 1a in the 2007 draft had they come out together. I also thought it a good choice considering the amount of praise Thomas got for his athleticism, when compared to Jake’s. But please read past the numbers for Walter Jones, there will be answers to more of the questions that have been posed to me thus far.

For this examination I chose Walter Jones, who for the better part of his career has been considered one of the great LT’s of his generation. Jones is 34 now, and is clearly in the twilight of his career – not in standard of play, just in age. That said Jones is still exceptionally quick with his feet. His hips are a little stiff now, not much but enough to be noticeable, not bad for 34. Jones still displays a good knowledge of the position game, by placing himself in front of the QB on a regular basis. Employing such a tactic makes the DE take the long route around a majority of the time, and given Jones feet, it usually proves to be an unproductive trip. On outside moves where the DE does get free, Jones opens his hips and trails the DE, usually with his hands on the inside shoulder, riding the man wide of the QB. There are two ways in which an OT does this; one is what I call a “hard shoulder” – where the DE has to make more of a 90 turn to get to the QB, after beating the OT to the outside, or after getting up the field on him. The second is the “soft shoulder” – where the DE takes more of a direct route to the QB using up the field moves because the OT lets the DE dip his shoulder, or get chest to chest and thus allows a shallower, and straighter angle to the QB. Jones uses the hard shoulder from what I can see. The benefit of this technique is that the DE still takes the longer path to the QB, and it allows the QB to step up much more cleanly initially or scramble out the backside that the DE juts vacated. It also requires the OT have strong hands, a good base to help drive the man out and a powerful upper body as he must maintain separation between himself and the DE. Jones usually maintains hand contact with the DE on these moves, and if he loses it possesses the foot speed to get back into the play.

I didn’t have any footage of Jones in my little library, as he doesn’t play for my team. But the clips I found gave me 19 plays that I could honestly call worthy of being examined. I would think most are familiar with the rough criteria I had by now. But, in case in essence I don’t want 3 step drops, screens play action, multiple rushers for the LT to handle, combo blocks etc. I am looking for DE or primary rushers against the LT in question. I feel it gives me the best chance to be consistent in this exercise. Now, the number of plays I have is hardly enough to make any definitive judgments’ as to what Jones is or not at this stage of his career. I personally don’t feel comfortable going into a great deal of depth with him in terms of his hand placement etc. But, without further fanfare these are the numbers I have on a very limited examination of Walter Jones. As always allow for the 0.04 human error factor, although personally I still it is high, but I have to appease any detractors and common reason. I can’t do a tale of the tape, as I couldn’t find any of Jones’ Combine numbers (they are from 14 years ago). Anyways, here it is.

Jake Long:
    3 point stance – on average Jake did it in 1.00 seconds
    Shotgun stance – on average Jake did it in 0.84 seconds

Walter Jones:
    3 point stance – on average Walter did it in 0.95 seconds
    Shotgun stance – on average Walter did it in 0.81 seconds

To say that Jones is anything but a freak of nature would be an understatement. He is just ridiculous with those times, I mean seriously – under a second? I’m just having a little fun, but it really shows what a world class athlete Jones is, even at the age of 34.

For those that are curious Jones’ kick slide usually accounts for a drop of 2 yards every time he drops back. I got that distance by looking at where he lined up his inside (right) foot pre snap and after he planted his third step in his kick slide. Shotgun or 3 point stance didn’t appear to matter, as he placed the inside foot down at 2 yards like clockwork. I find it interesting that the drop would cover the same distance no matter the stance, and that it was so precise in nature.

Jake is just over 2 yards it appears, it may be 2.1 yards if that. He too is very consistent with his foot placement in both kick slides.

For those who are interested in finding out more of what I have seen in terms of Jake’s pass pro compared with Joe Thomas read on, anyone else thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the numbers presented. I have been asked to do Matt Light next and will hopefully have something after this weekend.

Jake Long was not my pick for the #1 selection in the 2008 draft. But, since we took him I have tried to find out all I can about the guy in terms of pass pro, footwork etc. mainly because of the debate over whether he was indeed a LT in the pros. I have also been asked to provide some analysis of Jake’s balance and recovery ability whilst working on this exercise and I hope I can provide the information that is wanted. Below is what I have to add to my initial analysis of Jake.

Jake Long trusts his hands implicitly. He has strong hands and believes and knows they are one of his strong points. Jake’s hands are almost how he sees the world of football. When Jake has a mitt on you he looks so much more at ease than he does when he doesn’t have someone to grab. Jake reacts much faster in both the run game and pass pro when he has his hands on the DE. I have previously defined Jake as a mauling, beat you up player – and I still do. He is what I term an “engulfing” LT rather than a technician, whom are usually much more passive, but I need to say Jake is much more of a technician than I originally gave him credit for. Jake is very good at getting to his spot and being in the right position.

Jake is most certainly an engulfing LT, as he is just a huge specimen of humanity. If you just look at Jake compared to Joe Thomas on film you can see Jake is just a much thicker prospect all the way around, but in particular through the waist, shoulders and thighs. He would be what you would call a “corn fed” type of individual – just massive. Jake plays to his size very well. But the real strength of Jake’s game is his strength. It has been debated previously what a freak of nature Jake must be to put up 37 reps with 35” arms. The more medically inclined have noted that Jake’s tendons and their connective structure must be very large and strong in order for this to be so. It is also interesting that Jake is barrel chested, although he is very think in his upper body.

Much of Jake’s game is predicated on his strength, and as I have previously stated on his want to get his hands on you. Jake loves to use his punch to redirect and slow down the opponent. He does it too much though and allows himself to be more susceptible to counter moves than he need be at times. Jake’s punch typically means that the DE doesn’t get into Jake’s chest very often, and he likes it that way. He prefers to keep you at arm’s length from him, which usually means he has the advantage. Typically when his punch has stalled the DE, he will most often counter any side movement by the opposition with another punch to the lead shoulder. If the DE tries to get up field Jake will sling his left into the right shoulder of the DE and knock him off his initial stride, thus killing or altering any gained momentum. At least that is what appears to be the objective. Jake hits at you, and beats you up in order to keep you right in front of him – right where he likes you. However, none of the hand games Jake plays, nor his reliance on his punch would be possible if not for his quick hands. He keeps them at a decent level when he drops back, although when he tries too hard his elbows get outside his body and they drop. Also when he does this he tends to end having to “sit” or just “sits” back on his heels wither to gather himself a little. Or, he leaves a little too much space between himself and the DE and ends up waiting for a beat and hence rocks back on his heels. Doing so can make him play too tall, but I’ll get to that in a bit. The point I was trying to make is that Jake’s hands are fast, making his punch all the more effective. He really does use his punch to redirect smaller DE’s and to generally keep defenders off balance. Joe Thomas doesn’t have quick hands, and had his hands slapped down a few times too many. And subsequently he allows his man to get into his chest far too often for my liking. Yes Thomas likes to bait a DE in and then pull his shoulder pads down and let the guy fall to the ground. But, a good DE will get you waist bending and then jerk you out of position and he’s by you. For me, Thomas is too soft in his upper body in terms of his ability to press the DE off his chest and maintain separation. Yes, he mirrors very well, and usually stays in front of his man, but he takes so many more steps than Jake does in a normal pass pro situation. In Wisconsin’s Bowl game against Arkansas he allowed the DE to get into his body on a regular basis, and gave up the “soft shoulder” like I described earlier. Thomas moved his feet well and all the rest but he didn’t have the power to dictate the angle to the DE; rather the DE was dictating him. Having the “soft shoulder” means the QB many times has to step up and also move his shoulders to avoid the rush which disrupts the timing of the play a great deal more than if the QB can just step up.

This is the thing that will probably get me killed for typing but I think sometimes an OT’s are overvalued in comparison to functional strength. It is great that an OT can keep his feet moving at a high rate, but what good is it if he can be dictated to and becomes essentially a passive resistance unable to vary the course of the DE? It means he just looks really good moving around whilst your QB gets more hits than he needs to. A prime example of this D’Brickashaw Ferguson in NY, anyone think they’d like him to be a bit more physical? Yes he has good feet, but they only help him occupy the position rather than dominate the POA.

However, I really like when Jake decides to just grab you, when he does he is just so dam big that he really does jut engulf his man. Momentum comes to a standstill, and then he just slides a little and punches the defender in order to keep him face up many times. If he truly gets his hands on a guy and doesn’t just use his punch then the play many times is over, as the DE just has trouble getting away from Jake. Also when the DE who is engaged tries to make an up the field move to get away from Jake he does a good job of slowing that movement down using his strong hands and ability to slide his feet and maintain his wide base. That wide base also means he takes smaller steps and really shuffles his feet rather than raise them real high and then plant them back into the ground.

I will digress just slightly here to address one of most underrated parts of Jake’s skill set: his ability to get in front of his opponent, and maintain that position. This really goes to his foot speed. I think Jake has quicker feet than most give credit for, but his hips are tight. When he shifts around he doesn’t turn through his waist very much, rather he uses his feet to turn his whole body. Such movement makes him look slower than he really is. When he pass protects Jake usually has a wide base with his feet pointed out, and he keeps his feet wide and almost moves more like a crab with short movements initially, then he gets his body turned and his feet are moving quite well. As he does his short movements he usually fires a punch or two to help slow down his opponent, and he is very good at that. Jake shuffles his feet very well, but he doesn’t take big steps or bring his feet close together when making his steps. Joe Thomas moves his feet very close together and even crosses them on occasion, and has a smaller base. The other thing that makes people think Jake has slow feet is the fact he isn’t an explosive athlete. He is quick but he is not explosive, quick twitch but he has pretty quick feet. What that equates to is a guy who has good feet, but is a little slower in his initial movement. And, to be honest it shows up more in lateral movements then when he drives back into his kick slide. It is odd, but he has a very quick first movement, when he is coiled and waiting and is usually the fastest man out of his stance along the O-line. But making such an explosive move on the fly is harder for him.

Now, here is where the pundits say, “see he doesn’t have the feet”. Well I will direct all of you to watch the Bowl Game he played this year – The Capital One Bowl. Find the play with :40 left in the first half – watch as Harvey beats him badly to the outside, what do you see? Do you see an OT who has been beaten and doesn’t have the feet to get moving and get back into the play? Or, do you see a guy shift his weight, turn his whole body (again not through the waist) and not only get back into the play but never has his hands off the man, and then gets his hand on the inside shoulder of the DE and pushes him wide of the QB. Does Jake use a great many steps to accomplish the job? Or does he play position very well, and use the leverage of being on the inside shoulder to push the defender out of the line he really wants. By the way, what does the QB do, does he look worried, or does he just stand there and throw the ball? Think he feels any pressure? By the way the DE is Derrick Harvey who is an excellent up the field player – which supposedly gives Jake trouble.

Now find the play with 5:07 left in the game. Jake is beaten even worse than the first time by Harvey, yet Jake still doesn’t lunge or just look like he’s stuck in mud. Rather, once again he gets back into the play and manages to push the DE wide of the QB. All the while he doesn’t look off balance or lunging, or falling over as he chases the DE around. Once again shifts his weight through his legs rather than his waist and gets his feet moving very well I might add and regain position. One more thing to point out is how important it is to realize that pushing a man when you are extend is a lot harder than if you are in proper position. Jake still had the functional strength to dictate where the rusher would go after the rusher beat him, and had a clear shot so it appeared. Anyone remember Wade Smith having great feet but getting beaten like this all the dam time – he didn’t get back into the plays like Jake does.

If the guy’s feet are so bad how he can get back into the play like this. His lateral movement skills were supposed to be inferior yet he can handle the 3rd DE chosen the Draft very well for the game?

Jake typically does a good job of keeping his feet moving and not sitting on his heels. Occasionally though he will sit back and get too upright and it will leave him vulnerable to the bull rush. He has the feet to get himself back together, but he doesn’t have the quick hips necessary to sink in and quickly gather himself. He can however get away with it on most plays as he still very strong and can hold the man off generally. However, sitting down is one of his problems if he has to wait on the DE, or if he gets moving too fast and gets off balance he has to reset a little and thus gets on his heels. When he does this his lack of hip flexibility makes him look slower getting off his heels than he should. I can’t say this enough, his feet are fast enough to play the position, but his hips are what truly make him look slow to some people I think. That and the dark uniforms don’t help either. When was the last time a player from Michigan looked fast – which has nothing to do with actually being fast?

Pink Dove raised the matter of Jake probably being better in a man to man blocking scheme rather than the zone he used in college. I would have to agree, Jake is best when he is asked to focus on one man at a time rather than occupying a set area. In the run game Jake is most effective in a short area; he actually loses speed the longer he runs, as evidenced by his splits in the 40 YD dash. Allowing him to maul one man at a time rather than seeking out and finding targets to hit is his forte. Let him do it and watch his destruction. Joe Thomas for instance is totally different, he is better on the move using position rather than strength and leverage. Thomas rarely moves the pile or just blows the D-lineman off the ball; rather he maintains position and is a wall off blocker rather than in line drive blocker like Jake is. And once again Jake has a very good initial step when he has the ability to coil and know the move is coming. Once he gets his feet moving in the run game he will drive the man off the line and rarely gets stood up at the point of attack.

Jake is a very heady player who is rarely fooled or ends up out of position. He is very good at recognizing fronts, and adjusts on the fly very well. His head is always on a swivel and he will hit anything that comes near him. He doesn’t discriminate about who he blocks, anyone who wears the opposition colors will do. That’s another part of Jake’s game that should be mentioned, he plays all out all the time and I haven’t ever seen him take a play off, or not give maximum effort – and that will pay off at LT.

I hope that covers everything for those who were interested. If I haven’t covered anything feel free to ask away. Thanks for reading.

2. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Another great post bro... Based on what you have looked at (and I know you have admitted it's limitations) who do you see being the all round better player three years from now, Joe Thomas or Jake Long?

3. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Honestly, I think a comparison between Long and Jonathan Ogden would bear more fruit than comparing him to Walter Jones.

4. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Hey you should compare former #1 Orlando Pace and Long.

5. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Can't find film.

Would like to, but he didn't play much last year, so it makes it tough.

6. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thats a tough question, and I can honestly say i don't know - they are different players who really are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

7. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I will say this, Thomas was expected to come in an be a good pass protector. Long is escpected to need some work. I thin Jake's biggets problem is that he gets tto confident in his ability to punch defebders off their line. And, gets to his spot too quick sometimes or leaves a little too much sapce between himself and DE. All of those things coachable, some things that he doesn naturally aren't. Like reading fronts very well and anticipating pressure based on formation. His work ethic is outstanding as he never quits on a a play. The strength of his hands, if he gets a hold of you, he generally keeps a hold of you. And the fact he as pride in his task and his job, and he liked to be an ******* on the field to the opposition.

In our system Long is the better answer, in a system that uses as great deal of misdirection, or stretch plays Thomas would be the better fit. Joe Thomas in Denver's system would probably get him a trip to Canton if he played long enough. just beacuse of the traits the system asks for, our system really fits Jake's strengths and will lead him to a comfortable fit and a good, but chnaces are underappreciated career.

8. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Well, I see Jonathan Ogden clips around here at UCLA and he looks pretty comparable to Long. I'm not the most informed when it comes to offensive linemen (being a CB/S in college, I considered them nothing but mobile tackling dummies), but they look pretty darn similar in movement and play to the untrained eye.

9. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    That's the kind of insight I wanted, nice one Con :up:

10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Where do I start, Con?

First of all, kudos for your methodical approach. I like that you've tried to reduce the errors in an already inexact science. Also, by looking at relative distance this time you gave us another factor to consider, which is helpful. If you have a second, I would love to see links to youtube examples of the "Hard Shoulder" versus the "Soft Shoulder" approaches you mention. I think I can visualize what you mean, but before we discuss anything based on that portion of your analysis I'd like to make sure we are both clearly on the same page about what you meant. If you have a youtube link and approximate times for examples it'd be helpful (because you aren;t busy enough with requests already, right?)

Agree with Jake's arms/hands being his strength, but a more important point you make is that Jake is AWARE of this himself, and thus tailors his game and technique towards it consciously and subconsciously. My question is, does this make Jake more or less susceptible to having his effectiveness hampered by injury? If he were to injure a shoulder, rotator cuff or tear a pectoral, he'd be screwed until LONG after it healed as he relies on excessive arm and chest strength, which would take a much longer time to get back to 100% than the injury itself jus healing enough to get back on the field (the difference between healthy enough to play again and helathy enough to be as effective as you were before the injury). That said, arm and chest injuries seem less frequent than lower body injuries (and back problems) which tend to destroy the game of footwork-reliant/wall-off blocking linemen, who rely on their lower body's abilities to sustain them. In all, I think Jake having exceptional hands and strength will make him more durable than most linemen. I also think linemen tend to get hurt more often when being passive and absorbing rushers than when being aggressive, whicch is yet another reason that I think Jake aggressively controlling his man will help his durability. He shouldn't get pushed and twisted out of position less by bullrushers very often, leading to less awkward body positions (less likely to get "folded" backwards over his own legs, etc).

In your first post we established that Jake could probably afford to push off a little LESS in his initial kickslide just to stay centered better and be in better balance and control. That would help his leverage, base and pass pro while still making him fast enough (see Joe Thomas times).

Now, you have revealed another HUGE way to improve Jake Long that is EASY TO DO! Open this young man's hips up. He needs more flexibility in his hips. As stupid as it sounds, doing hip-flexor specific yoga exercises would make his hips more flexible and he'd IMMEDIATELY become a more fluid mover, have better change of direction, swivel his hips better to stay over his base when he gets beaten on the edge and is trying to turn to catch up, plus it would make him less susceptible to injury and strengthen his core.

No one wants to see a 300+ lb man do yoga, but if it's true that his hips' range of motion (or lack thereof) limits how deeply he can sinks into his pass pro stance, then it would help him a LOT to stretch it out. It would let him be less stiff when he needs to sink his hips, set his base and absorb the rusher without giving up leverage nor sitting too far back over is heels. If he can't sink his hips easily, he'll either end up standing too tall and the rusher will get under him and drive him back into e QB, or he will roll too far back onto his heels and get knocked onto his arse by the rusher. He needs to be able to sink low but stay forward. Actually, that's also a buttock tightness issue. His gluteus AND his hip flexors need stretching.

Flexible hips/butt will also lower the chances of lower back problems for him.

If we could have Jake improve his fluidity, his ability to flip his hips when in a 'footrace' to the edge, sink lower into his passpro stance to stay on-balance and to meet the passrusher with greater (lower) leverage, AND be less likely to have injuries then we darned well better do it!

Heck, it doesn't HAVE to be yoga stretches, Any good trainer or physio could give him an hour of hip/butt/groin/lower back stretches to do every night that would make a HUGE difference within a week.

And THAT, folks is how a change in the human body affects performance on a football field. Which is why it's so important to have a great conditioning program with knowledgable, observant staff. But, they key is, the POSITIONAL COACHES, like Maser, have to understand the link between their players' techiques and physical training principles well enough to see the connection and use something like this to help the player. I don't know if Maser will recognise that Jake's hips need opening (nor understand that the trainers could do that for him, nor understand what the effect would be, physically). Similarly, the training staff doesn't understand positional technique well enough to notice that as an O-lineman, Jake's not flipping his hips well enough, nor sitting low enough in his stance.

So, in all likelihood, Maser won't realise the trainers can help Jake improve, and the trainers won't realise Jake's technique is hampered by a physical problem.

Dude, I am seriously considering writing Maser a letter including your findings regarding the kickslide (slowing it initially to keep him over his centre and in control) and the hips (opening them to give him fluidity, and deeper stance and leverage). What would you think of us compiling the end-result of these posts into a letter for Maser? (I am fresh off the optimism of having my question asked to Tony Sparano on air last week, and another one asked to Jeff Ireland on air this week. These guys can be reached. There's no reason we can't whisper directly into Maser's ear with a suggestion, or at least let him see your observations).

What do you think? If we honestly believe it could make a big difference for Jake this year, we owe it to the team to try to convince Maser of it.

Seriously.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  11. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Barry.. how come this is the first I have heard about your questions being addressed.. Quit being so dang modest and SHARE brother... I wanna know !

12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

lol. thanks.

Well, it's probaby because the questions weren;t real juicy. I asked stuff I knew the prducers would let through. Eaaasy stuff, kinda.

Okay, this is off thread topic, but...

I asked Sparano: given David Lee's comments that "he'd figure out" who the starting QB was, how empowered are positional coaches in those decicions, and how/when do the cor-ordinators and the head coach interface with positional coaches to determine the winner of positional battles, whether at QB, LB or whichever position?

He gave the answer I expected, and that he HAD to give to maintain authority: i consider their opinion, but the Head Coach calls all the shots. (so I still don;t know how much say they get. I figured since Lee was wooed to come here, they'd listen to what he has to say) At least he mentioned that he talks to all of the coaches/co==ords ddaily to stay on top of everything. That's good.

I asked Ireland two questions, but they only used one. I asked whether we had a list ofpossible waiver wire targets (guys we hoped would be cut/might get cut) who we watched, or if we waited til players became available THEN did a work-up on them on a case-by-case basis. The producer wrote me back and said they were going to use that as one of their questions, basically, as they wanted to discuss it anyways.

My second question for Ireland, which they used, was me trying to find a way to obliquely get a temperture read on where Irelnad's head might be at on trades (and trading Taylor). I knew he wouldn;t answer a question about JT directly, so I asked when the next prime trading window would be for clubs, and when he expected to see renewed trade activity. He said, as I predicted, around end of camp/start of season once injuries and cut take ther toll on teams' plans. He didn't say anything extra (I don;t know what I was hoping for, but I was shaking the tree just to see if anything came out). all it tells me is the F.O. probably expects little/nothing to happen on the trade front until late August or early September at the earliest.

Now, back to the THREAD topic....

Realising I can have my words enter the brains of the men who run my favorite team blew my MIND. It meant I could also plant a seed in their head if there were something I really wanted to draw their attention to. That's why, with all of Confucius' amazing work on these jake Long technique analyses, I think there is informtion the club needs. Our psters are SO good here, and we spend hours breaking things down, discussing them, using diverse viewpoints to come to fresh insights... all advantages that lead to some, I thought, pretty stunning conclusions about easy ways for Jake Long to become a significantly better player.

If we have that sort of info, I'd like to get it to Maser and get him to read it. Maybe they are already aware of all this. If not, they should be. If they are, this might be another nudge towards them doing something about it.

At worst we'll get a form letter back from the Dolphins Publicity Dept with an autographed picture of Maser masticating a bratwurst on the steps of Nova U.

Anyways, that's the only reason I brought it up.

Bpk

p.s. - thanks for waking up to liven up the board with your posts! And, hey, cnc... we're teammates now! Alen1's Mexico City Hooligan Squad! lol

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  13. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks Barry.. on all fronts, you rock brother. I think Con should seriously consider your idea.. who the heck knows what the result would be.. my guess is that after they read it, at the very least they would study the issue and see if you were correct.. Y'all have nothing to lose.. and hell.. just think if Jake tightened (or loosened) up his hip action, YOU guys would KNOW you hit it right.. Personally, I am nowhere near good enough to see all of what Con see's, but I am a fast learner and a dedicated student. Mostly, I greatly appreciate that others, more adept than me, take the time and effort to share, thus enlightening MY life.. Props men.. big ones!

Conuficus and Bpk like this.
  14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Bpk,

Isn't Sparano an offensive line coach?? If you and Con put your ideas together and got them to Sparano wouldn't or couldn't that serve the same purpose??

I'm always amazed about the information that comes out from this website. Even though technically, many of us are not "experts" there's a lot more knowledge and insight than probably what most fans get credit for here. My hat's off to you, Con and all the other insightful posters who bother to take the timeto share their thoughts and insight with the rest of us.

Thanks again guys.....

Bpk and Conuficus like this.
  15. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Well here's a link I found that gives a good example of the soft shoulder Thomas uses. He uses it twice in these highklights that is good enough to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcmnATIyu_M&feature=related

The first play is at 3:03 of the film available. Don't look at the play before because Thomas does a much better job in taht on eunless you want a comparison of better technique with arm extension. The bad play is at 3:03.

Now, look at 5:27 in and tell me what you see, and watch the angle from behind the QB, see what happens to Thomas. Watch the rest of the video and see how many times it happens. More than you'd like.

I mean Jake gets beaten by the bull rush almost once a game, as he gets juiced up and plays too tall. But after that happens it seems it settles him down and he doesn't let it happen again. The defender will try it, but Jake uses better technique and gets the job done. Jake makes mental notes as the game is in progress, not on the sidelines.

Also if you want to see an opposite angle of what it might look like, look at this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yot9ClPvZDg

It just shows the backside of what a play might look like. I also love how people overblow this play so much. The G's initial move was to the outside with Jake, but when he sees the C let the Dt go he has to move back inside to cover. Anyone else think Jake was expecting help on the inside of him? They were using zone protection where the C would go with the RG whilst the LG and LT would work in unison to handle their half of the line. But, everyone say look how Gholston blows up the play - really, he did did he?

Also as far as submitting my work I have no porblem with it other than being exceptionallt nervous. These people would probably think of it as jibberish and wave it off. These guys are professionals at this, and my work wouldn't hold a candle to what these guys do for a living. But if you want to do it, I'll be on board with it. :up:

I'm sure they need a good laugh too.

Bpk likes this.