1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jalen Davis..Not bad for an undrafted free agent..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jun 28, 2018.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/davis-mission-to-prove-doubters-wrong

''Davis also was not a draft pick, though that one might have been the most surprising thing of all he’s not. After all, Davis brought quite the resume into the 2018 NFL draft after being named a first-team All-American selection last season by the Walter Camp Football Foundation, and a second-team All-American choice by The Associated Press and the Football Writers Association of America.

If you don’t think Davis is using the draft snub as extra motivation as he begins his NFL career, just consider his pinned tweet is a simple hashtag: #UndraftedJD.''

When I looked at him after he signed, I was like why the hell wasn't this kid drafted and started to look for the reasons how a kid with his skillset, instincts and confidence went unnoticed.

Still don't get it really, i mean he is small, but.

here are some reps.

some more against wisconsin.

and here is the BYU game where he had two pick 6, 3 picks total in that game, albeit against a totally outmatched BYU qb squad..

He reads the field smartly, eyes and feet work together nicely, has good hands.

He's a small kid, but he's quick, has good vision and instincts, plays with a lot of swagger.

I mean for an undrafted free agent, I'll take him as a dolphin.

Looks to me like he can make the team.

Irishman, Finatik, Fin-O and 5 others like this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Good for him- I love a good undrafted rookie story each year. I'm rooting for him anyways, just like I did with Hull, 7-Eleven, etc.

Irishman and mbsinmisc like this.
  3. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Looks like he lacks long speed on tape which isn’t that big a deal in the slot. I do see some stiffness though with the redirect.

Irishman likes this.
  4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yeah it’s all relative to being an undrafted free agent..for that value I’ll take it ya know..

“Based on Wednesday’s results, Davis stacked up favorably against the cornerbacks who were invited to the NFL combine. For starters, only four corners at the combine posted a faster 40-yard dash time than 4.40 seconds. USU’s all-time leader in passes broken up was timed in the 4.40-4.43 range. All times and distances at Pro Day are unofficial”

Beginning of that BYU game he got bead bad deep..

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  5. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Pro day timed speed usually a good .08 to .10 faster than actual combine speed. Rule of thumb I’ve always used.

Regardless a low 4.5s even isn’t a deal breaker by any means in the slot.

6. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Those pro-day numbers are likely to be inflated. He is very possibly a late 4.4/ early-to-mid 4.5 guy, which explains the lack of long speed. As you said, short area quickness is far more important in the slot. He'll still be plenty fast enough to keep up with Julian Edelman. He's an UDFA so thankfully we're not relying on him, but I'd be interested to see him lined up against Albert Wilson in training camp. Wilson looks like a slot guy but he's very fast. In a man-to-man situation, Davis could be abused.

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Mccain ran a 4.51 at the combine..

Maybe he and Armstrong will give the rich man a little competition..

8. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Armstrong said he’s only been working boundary/field

9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Didn't even notice you brought this up.