1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jarvis Landry (Q1)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by keithjackson, Oct 1, 2014.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    As I recall there were a couple of guys catching up to him and it was just because Landry doesn't have speed.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I have a philosophy when it comes to projection and excitement about a prospect, I will watch reps until I see a play where it tells me a lot about the upside of the player, a movement, an athletic football play, same thing for a players downside, what is the players specific football limitations, when I see that upside I feel good about where to rate him on my own board, the key is to watch so closely that certain movements good or bad may go unnoticed by other evaluators..

When it comes to Landry, I think I was off a bit, not wrong, just off a bit, firstly I had him as a third round pick, I think he will project better than I thought..I've seen some things that project well at this level that I may of looked over..

I knew he was clutch, meaning I think he's more calm than the other guys when the pressure increases..I see that in the pros.

I was afraid that his athletic radius would bring him down a notch from what you saw in college.

I knew his hands were good, I see that, they are, he just has to stop being cocky on punt returns and start using his body to cradle instead of just his hands.

One thing I think I overlooked was his quickness and instinct to get upfield in a hurry, it's not Sammy Watkins good, but there is some explosiveness there that I didn't equate enough..

I believe he's gonna be a very good #2, who can make plays and be reliable.. And that is gonna be worth his draft status..

The edge he plays with will eventually wear on his opponent and inspire his teammates..

Just be a little patient with his mistakes, he's going full speed making them, and I like that.

3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    What I liked about Landry coming out was that he ran a much more complete route tree in college than other prospects and was fairly polished in that aspectwith room to grow.

Aside from that his hands stood out. His ability to fight for those 50/50 balls and win. His hand eye coordination is top notch as well.

You shoe me an elite route runner with elite hands and ill show you a receiver I damn well want on my team.

He's had some bumps in the road but so far I'm optimistic

gunn34 likes this.
  4. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I vaguely recall someone (or some people) saying things to the effect of "if he gets the reps in the offense and clicks with Tannehill he could be a candidate for offensive rookie of the year"

Obviously IDENTICAL to proclaiming we just drafted the offensive rookie of the year /s :dots:

In either case the passion...nay....NEED to be able to "lol told you so" from certain posters gets hella tiring... and I mainly read, post rarely.

MrClean and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  5. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Do not take Landry off KR or PR for anyone on the 54. Let him learn when and when not to take chances and get a feel for it. I don't agree with CK when he says that his long return could in fact be a negative because he was caught. Some players don't even see that hole. He just needs to catch and secure punts faster.

Landry breaks tackles and scraps for every inch of the field. It has got him in some trouble but I'll take that fight and fearlessness anyday over "Bess" or whoever else he's been compared to. I know Bess and Landry's times were comparatively slow but Landry is a major upgrade.

So far I think the staff has been pretty good with managing our receiver talent. Force Wallace's involvement, go to Hartline in tough situations, check and see what Landry has got when feasible as a 3rd and keep Gibson and Mathews snaps relatively close.

Hartline or Gibson won't be here next season if Landry keeps the confidence of this staff.

TLDR

6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Do you guys ever look back on hits and misses...and see something you missed? Like Tom Brady for example..I wonder if scouts look back and go..ok..I should have picked up on this or that?

Also..how much credence do you give to intangibles..either having them or not?

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Always notice around the league my hits and misses, key is to be right more than the other guys...I'm confident.

I absolutely give creedence to intangibles, only tough part is we don't get to go in the room with them..but you can see leadership qualities and energy in the prospects personality, and their interviews..

Check out Dak Prescott when you get a chance..that's a kid with intangibles that make tangible impact on his players..

Watch how fast teddy bridgewaters feet are when he drops and sets up..watch how quick he makes a decision to get out of trouble.

Blake Bortles could be the next magician when it comes to escapability..I love that trait...I can win with that trait and a conservative pass game.

The honey badger had tons of intangibles, he just liked to smoke pot for various reasons..

8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That's a big gamble in a season where you only get 16 games.

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree duffster, don't touch his ***.

10. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I say that with having confidence that he HAS learned and won't continue to fumble. Teaching when and where to field punts would be my next concern.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    All the time.

Scouts have been doing that for 10+ years.

Case by case. Really depends on the position.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If you stick with him he can be your returner for the next three years..he's got real return traits that will manifest as soon as he learns how to properly catch a punt..I know that sound funny, but he's close.

13. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    And if he never does? A single fumble can cost you the playoffs

14. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I say toss those guys because it is not fair to compare a Ferrari to a Malibu in a quarter mile race.

Watkins and Evans especially had monster grades this year.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I wonder what the average is for fumbles for a full time returner a year? Any idea

16. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    it was predicted multiple times by a handful of people here. I don't make things up.

17. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
  18. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Do you know what a prediction is? Its when you say something WILL happen.

The only thing said was he's polished enough that he could contend for it in the right circumstances. That is not a prediction. At all.

19. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    On the flip side a single housed punt return can win you a game and secure you the playoffs. Its double edged that way.

20. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

A-frigging-men!

21. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I appreciate the post- good read! I've thought from the start that Landry is something special and I'm really not discouraged by his fumbles or drops. He does everything that you want a WR to do, so I have no problem with the learning curve that he will face in the weeks ahead.

22. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    My point if he isn't really as good as his average... which is top 5... then his blocking must be better than top 5 to be elevating his average to that level.

Now, maybe it is a case of a small sample size... but I see no point in rushing to change while its still going good. If it dips as the sample size gets larger and it turns out that he isn't very good... then pull him.

23. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I think Landry is a bit of an unconventional kick returner. Whereas the speedsters are usually trying to beat the coverage to the edge, Landry is using his vision, decisiveness and physicality to get up field.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I wouldn't necessarily say the speedsters are trying to get to the edge. I think they're looking to burn through a crease in the middle as often as the edge.

But you're right in that Landry's overall size/speed package is not something that would normally be considered for kick returns, especially if he doesn't have a history of returning kicks.

25. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    The great returners will look for a crease to exploit but there are plenty of speedster who spend more time running horizontal for a meager gain. Landry's approach is unconventional and I think that it can catch coverage units off guard, particularly his physicality. I would pair him with a speedster back there (perhaps LaMicheal James) and make teams worry about the borders and middle.

26. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

Kick or punt?

If you are saying punt returns I totally agree... but he has done a good job on KO returns IMO

27. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    He was caught by a guy that had an angle on him. Any returner in the NFL would have been caught on that play.

28. vt_dolfan

See...I remeber one guy catching him..not sure about angle..

29. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Landry looks and performs how i expected. Small fish in a large pond. He is doing fine. I'd rather see him more concentrate on WR than a return player. Let him get more catches and experience. He is a rookie. The drops will all be forgotten about down the stretch.

30. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Both.

ckparrothead likes this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This is incorrect.

Philip Gaines did not have any angle advantage on Jarvis Landry. In fact at Miami's 42 yard line if you freeze it, they're exactly even with one another except Gaines is 5 yards closer to the sidelines. So Gaines actually had a disadvantage in that he'd have to run a longer track to catch up to Landry who is running straight ahead. Meanwhile whoever #20 is, he was also catching up.

Gaines caught Landry because Gaines runs in the 4.3's while Landry runs in the 4.6's. Pure and simple. No, not just "any" returner would have gotten caught there. One who isn't quite as comparatively slow would not have been caught. Gaines' speed advantage was so clear as to be nearly comical, he wasn't even running flat out and he was able to catch up and close in on Landry.

32. vt_dolfan

Aahhh...Ck that makes no sense. Theres no discernbale difference to the naked eye between someone who runs a 4.6 40 and 4.3. Theres a considerable difference in how Gaines closes on Landry as you said..its not because one runs a 4.6 and 4.3

I wish we could see the video of this somehow...but Landry was slowed up from breaking tackles..was Gaines impeeded in the same way?

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Phillip gaines runs like a deer.,Landry doesn't, who cares.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I could see no difference between a 4.3 and a 4.4, however a 4.6 and a 4.3? 4.3 blazing, 4.6 is NFL kind of slow.

I could tell by him running that he wasn't going to break the kickoff return.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    LOL like hell there isn't.

Sorry, but that's just a silly statement.

36. vt_dolfan

Doesnt matter anyways...nobody is going to confuse Landry for Mike Wallace. But in that game he had a 40 yard kickoff return and a 73 yard kickoff return. That puts the offense with great field position. Id rather have a KR who consistently puts us in better field position then one who occasionally returns one all the way

37. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

While the difference between 4.3 and 4.6 may not even be a full running step, it's the advantage it provides over everybody else with average speed.

Now, 40 speed isn't all inclusive, as most of the time players don't get a full blown 40 yards to run with nothing in their hands or having to adjust around other players...game speed mitigates raw 40.

38. vt_dolfan

Sure there is when they are both leaving the same start line in a 40 yard dash .... but this wasnt the case

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've got the play right here on Rewind, showing over and over. It's pretty damn clear. But whatevs, rock on people. Free to think what you want.

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Maybe YOU can't tell the difference, and I won't hold that against you. But don't tell me that I can't tell the difference when I've been doing exactly that for how many years? You're just truly speaking out of your depth here. It's like telling someone that nobody can hit a major league curve ball. Major league hitters are like, uhhh yeah we can. And do.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant or anything. I'm not the one trying to tell you that I know you can't tell the difference between something that you're 100% certain you can. Like I said if you can't tell the difference, that's cool. I don't care, not making any judgments. But don't insist nobody can hit a curve because you can't.