1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jason allen

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shula_guy, Oct 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Dfan06

Dfan06 New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Dude I have been sold on him since he started playing last year. He has great instincts and will make the INT and does miss many tackles. I am glad he is improving. Will is about 30 and has probably 2 years in him. I am still hoping we sign Nmandi and draft a FS with great range and hands.

The Aqua Crush and funkdat like this.
  2. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Another great game for Jason Allen :yes:

Can't wait for somebody to come and say that's an over exageration...

3. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    I still don't think he's been anything besides average.

4. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    He's been on the field consistently for only 2 games. He was slightly above average against Buffalo and way above average yesterday.

These have been 2 successful passing teams as well and he has been on exceptionally good receivers.

The fact that he has been consistently improving game to game says much.

He's quickly making a believer out of me.

alen1 likes this.
  5. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    I don't doubt he has the potential to be a good player, but I really haven't seen anything that tells me he'll be anything other than average. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong. But that's just what I see.

Definitely has not lived up to being a mid-first rounder. I think we can all agree on that. He's had enough time in this league to make his impressions.

6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

He played well, except when Marshall toasted him hugely and we got a luckt PI call.

7. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Bpk, I'm of the opinion that Jason was in a position with one of the best WRs in the game that the WR could push off of him. getting toasted means he wasn't even near the WR. Jason was within an arm's length as seen by the replay.

Jason was also pushed off too easy and he looked off balance before the push off (which resulted in what people called 'acting' I just think he was already off balance). But still, after his second start ever in an NFL game as CB, that isn't too bad.

funkdat likes this.
  8. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    JA only got beat because Marshall knew he had to cheat to have a chance at making the play.

I can't believe their are Miami fans that want the other teams best players to cheat and get away with it!!!

The only people i saw getting toasted was Marshall with his 27 yards all game and his crybaby friend Paymah.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  9. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Have you ever heard of Lee Evans?

10. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Are you serious?

11. Bpk

If "Miami fan" has to mean expecting that we deserve different treatment from officials because we like our team better than 31 other ones, then count me out.

If that had been Ted Ginn junior called back for that little nudge Miami 'fans' would have been, and still would be, screaming bloody murder.

It was a very minor nudge which, in my opinion did NOT affect Brandon getting the separation he needed. Jason was beaten, plain and simple. He was off balance and behind.

I suppose the same Dolphins fans railing on about this would be with that call going against one of our receivers too and consider it to be fair? It doesn't sound like it.

I think that usually referees let those minor hand battles go, unless it totally affects the CB's ability to make the play. In that case, it LOOKED much worse at full speed than it actually was, after seeing the replays. The counter argument is that it is still technically against the rules. Well, if the refs called every touch, pushoff, and O-line moves that was against the rules there would be at least 30 flags a game or more.

PI is a judgement-call foul, unlike more clear cut things like whether a knee is down on a fumble. In this case, I think the refs made a mistake.

When Tony Sparano was asked about it he had a little smirk on his face and said that things evened out by the end of the game, and that they got a call borderline PI in their favor later. He was coy and smirking, and explaining that they got a call later to even it out. He also, smirking, said that of course he thought we were right to get the call, looked like PI to him wink-smirk.

So if Tony Sparano, Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins thinks Marshall's offensive PI call was potentially wrong but is happy we got lucky... well, he must not be much of a Miami fan, I suppose, hm?

Seriously, can we lose the emotional homerism when it makes us attack our own fans (me in this case) and question what type of fans they are just for being fair and objective?

Color me tired of being criticized for NOT being unfair-minded.

Puka-head and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  12. Bpk

To me, Lee Evans looks like a burner and dangerous as heck to any and every defense he faces.

13. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    JA gets my approval. When he's on the field he makes things happen. He doesn't practice well.

14. Bpk

Know what, I don't give kudos to players on plays where the opponent makes a dumb mistake to save our player.

If Brandon doesn;t touch Jason Allen, he still catches that ball easily and probably gets a TD. At the least he makes a 50 yard catch on Allen. That's some crispy toast to me.

I am not assessing how well the refs played for us yesterday, but how well Jason Allen did, and him getting beat huge and deep figures in, whether he got lucky or not.

If I go on a trip through a country with high HIV rates and don;t use a condom, should I get a p[at on the back if I don;t contract HIV?

To me there is a difference between getting credit for something you did well, and being lucky that some external force saved your arse.

That said, Jason DID play a good, physical game. I am happy with how he played. I simply like to imclude the huge catch that was made on him in my assessment.

The fact that everyone wants to argue it is irrelevant is something I don;t agree with. In arguing that point, it starts to look like ALL I care about is Jason's one bad play.

No, I loved Jason's game, and the focus on beating this dead horse is simply because I am one voice against many here so simply have to defend myself on the one aspec upon which we disagree.

We proabbly agree on 98% of everything else, though, including Jason's good game.

Puka-head and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  15. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Well brandon got called for PI, not by one but two refs I believe. They saw what they need to see, contact and a disruption of his body's movement. of course we would scream bloody murder if it was a Miami WR, but that's because we're fanatics. A lot of us I bet would reason that hey, it was technically correct, AND not one lonestar ref called it, but two.

Oh, and Brandon didn't break out in the other 59.75 minutes of the game either. I'm sure if JA was that bad they would have moved him over to that side more? The secondary has been maligned and rightly so, but they played their butts off on Sunday. And I know you agree with that as well.

My point I guess is, it may be a borderline call, but with two refs calling it, that changes it a bit.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  16. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    If Wr's in the NFL could get away with what that guy tried to get away with, we'd be looking at every team putting up 50, 60, 70 point a game.

Go watch the CFL if your into that kind of football.

17. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It was such a huge play in the game as well. I agree I would've been pissed if it was called against us, but the light shove gave Marshall the seperation he needed to score a TD.

I do however believe he would've caught the pass even without the push. Kind of a dumb move on his psrt.

Bpk likes this.
  18. Bpk

I'd prefer not have a comment directed at me in that way.

I think I have every right to watch the NFL and disagree with people at times.

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If the WR extends his arm and creates any separation it is an automatic call for the ref. Fans may bicker about how much separation was created or whether the pass would have been completed but that was an easy call for the refs. That's why two refs threw those flags immediately. There was no debate or lengthy conferences. That ref team would have been downgraded in film reviews if they didn't make that call.

Bpk, funkdat and Puka-head like this.
  20. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Hi , i wasn't talking to you.

I was making a general statement,had i been talking to you i would of quoted you.

Of course You have every right watch the NFL,WWE, CFL or whatever your into.It's fine with me if you disagree with the NFL rules.

Here is the NFL rule """It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched. Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched""""

Link NFL Rules Digest: Pass Interference

Please take it up with the NFL and not me if you don't like there rules.

21. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    It was PI. WR made a hand/arm movement that gave him an advantage to make the play. Goes both ways so it was a fair call.

22. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Yup, it was PI, even some Broncos fans admit it

23. Bpk

Well, between the tone (which I may have misinterpreted as supercilious, though it certainly seemed rife with sarcasm) and the fact that I am the only person on the side of the argument being attacked, plus our back and forth posts with me on this issue, it's hard to come away from that feeling like it was in no way meant to be a response to me. I mean, no one else is taking this side in the discussion, so I couldn;t help but assume it was me being responded to, even without quotes.

Anyways, I have no issue with the NFL rules. As I discussed with JDang, I also looked at the specific rules in question and where I was having an issue was that I didn't think the rule allowed a PI to be called unless the interference materially changed the outcome of the play (in all liklihood). The rule, however, cares more about the intent of the person committing the foul than whether or not the foul actually is the reason the defender does not make the catch.

Essentially, it's enough to push off with the intent of creating separation, regardless of the play's end result.

That, to me, makes Marshall guilty. However, it still doesn;t change that most of the time refs don't call that minor tap on the shoulder.

On balance, as I said to JDang, I was wrong about Marshall not deserving the PI. I still don't think it was something the refs usually throw the flag for, even though the rules state they are justified doing so.

I am happy to be wrong in this instance. :)

24. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    two refs threw flags.. that is a significant fact. So, I think it was OPI, and so do two refs.. we win.

Thanks for posting the rule funkdat, I was unaware of the difference, offense to defense in the rule.

25. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

How can you label this poor kid a bust when he has been switched back and forth between safety and cornerback every season? It seems only fair to leave him at cornerback, give him some playing time, in a new system (again) too, (remember?), under another HC and DC. After he's had a season and another TC, then judge him next season.

This young man has incredible physical tools: speed, size, and strength. Allow him a chance to stay in the same system and at the same position, and THEN decide if he is a bust.

What I have seen him do on the field despite all the changes he's gone through, tells me this whole thread is just unfair and dead wrong.

sgtphin likes this.
  26. BPK for what it is worth I was not impresssed with the call either. It was PI but if it did not occur Jason Allen got beaten on the play and got lucky that the refs saw that stupid push off

Bpk likes this.

27. no disrespect intended to your post. I completly disagree with you and apparently alot of others in this thread too.

It is true switching postions and entire staffs have not benefitted him at all. I concede that point to those of you bringing that up, but man he just plain gets beat out on the field. He does not cover his guys well, now maybe if like some of you say he stays in the same postion he will learn not to bite on fake outs, im not as confident about that as some of you. despite what some of you seem to think he does not have good hands and is not skilled at making interceptions. I have watched him blow so many picks its not even funny.

He has not been able to make reads well enough to play safety which really is the postion he should playing IMO

Yes he is a great athlete and tackles really well which is why i think he is better equiped to be a safety. What he does best is when a guy catches a ball underneath he picks good angles and just pummels the poor dude with ball and he strikes like lightning. I love him on special teams.

Now I will say me starting this thread by saying he isnt worthy of being picked in any round was a bit over the top. Still he is not a #1 pick he is a developmental project and may very well never be any better then what we are seeing from him right now, which isnt much.

One last thing I think the switching postions and staffs argument is a huge cop out he should be playing better then he is regardless of those facts.

28. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    If he can continue to pan out this season I will give him a mulligan for the first couple after all the present is all I give a damn about.

To the original question however - No he should have not been a first rounder. He does not have, nor will he ever have in my opinion the talent that Saban thought he did when he drafted him.

29. :lol: @ giving him a mulligan

30. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008

I figure the last two seasons that he could have played like Ronnie Lott and it wouldn't have made much difference in the team. This season he has a chance to impact the team because they need to ride that fine line every game to win games.

31. I just loved the way you put it