1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jason La Canfora: Bill Cowher will be the next Dolphins coach.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    On with Sedano 790: Says the writing is on the wall, that Cowher has been reaching out to potential staff, and that he would be "SHOCKED" if Cowher is not the next coach.

Also says that Omar Kahn would come along.

Also says that Gruden was and is 1st choice, but he is told that the ESPN/Gruden agreement is iron clad and is prohibitive int he amount it would take to buy out the contract.

2. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    A little disappointed, I was starting to warm up to the idea of Gruden.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ophinerated and maynard like this.
  3. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Also, I thought Bill wouldn't talk about a potential coaching position if the head coach was still there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gafinfan likes this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Love this! Hope it comes to fruition and Cowher brings a good, hungry staff, gets luck, and builds us back into a respectable franchise !

5. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Well, I think it is going to be vital that he brings in an offensive coordinator and lets him open things up.

DevilFin13 likes this.
  6. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Would still prefer Fisher to either Cowher or Gruden. BUT...would be ecstatic if Cowher is the next HC of the Miami Dolphins. So all is good if true IMHO.

Frayser, Puka-head and Larry Little like this.
  7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Oh how sweet that would be! That's alot of cards that have to fall into place though. I hope it happens, but its awfully early I think to buy into these reports. It would be pretty damn awesome though. Cowher, Khan, a young motivated staff, a fresh, shiny new first round franchise QB, who's actually going to get proper NFL caliber coaching to develop. Most of all, a respectable franchise. Ross is still going to be around for his orange carpet crap, but if he's got the right people running the football side of the operations, he could put elephants and giraffe's on the sidelines for all I can. Just win!

Tin Indian likes this.
  8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    It is a slam dunk that Tony gets fired one way or another. The Dolphins will have an opening. That wasn't the situation after last season.

9. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    As I posted in the Club, La Canfora said that Tom Moore would be OC while Cowher waits out Grimm and Whisenhunt in Arizona.

Paul 13, NJFINSFAN1 and SICK like this.
  10. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    We have had this story in Club forum for a week now .Here is a video from a week ago.[video=youtube;BoLJMaoeXNE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoLJMaoeXNE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

As often happens I think these journalists and commentators often feed off themselves as sources giving the impression its breaking news.

11. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I wanted Tony fired and Cowher hired before this season so I'm real happy about this news.
    Even if we had to burn a season in the meantime.

12. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Eh...Its week 7 in the NFL season. Ill start listening to these reports after the super bowl. EVERY Sunday I get ragged by my Steelers friend because I text him how Harbaugh to MIA was a done deal and was all excited when a report came out said it was. This report means nothing to me.

MAFishFan and dolfan32323 like this.
  13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Tom Moore? You guys think he was a great coach, or was able to live off of Peyton Mannings fantastic career?

Although, giving him Luck would be nice :lol:

14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yeah, I think Moore is at least an above-average OC. He'd be the best we've had since at least Scott Linehan in 2005.

SICK likes this.
  15. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    It won't take till the SuperBowl. The change could be made as soon as the regular season is over. Funny, I don't think I've ever been impatient for a season to end before.

16. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    That is the most exciting part of this development. Kahn has been a stud as the capologist up in Pittsburgh.

17. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    The question is, who will be the head of scouting since Kahn has no scouting background?

18. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Hmm, the "waiting out Whisenhunt and Grimm" statement concerns me. Are we setting up for Jimmy/Wanny 2.0? Whisenhunt hasn't really been all that impressive to me. Their main success in my opinion was due to the Warner-Fitz connection. Without those 2 that team never would have gone anywhere, and now that Warner is gone they have sunk down to mediocrity.

As for Grimm, we have heard how is highly regarded for years and years now. Why is he not a head coach? Do other teams know something?

19. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

Larry Little and SICK like this.
  20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No, Cowher wants them to reprise their roles from 2006, with Whisenhunt as OC and Grimm as OL coach.

21. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I dont buy the ESPN IRON CLAD Nonsense. Sets them up as pennypinchers and opens them to 2nd quessing if it doesnt work out. Weird to say Money is an object of concern when 1A is available.

Cowher would have had to be the #1 inside track all along with his Peterson ties and him whispering in Ross's ear......dont know if Gruden really had a equal chance, then Fisher probably.

Hope this pans out in every way...we need a HOMERUN turn around!

22. PigMuffin

PigMuffin New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Who are they saying would be brought in as a gm. Kahn is more of a business guy than a football guy. I hope cowher isn't given full autonomy with personal decisions.

23. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Oh, Cowher will have full autonomy with personnel decisions, and Kahn will be his GM. This is why the scouts will be vital.

24. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I thought Ross was the worst owner in the NFL and couldn't recruit a coach?

25. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    So much for the silly idea that a coach would only come to Miami if we drafted Andrew Luck.

This is amazing news. This SOB better be in this for the long run.. I'm sick of cut and run a$$hats like JJ and Saban.

Also, if this is the case, why not make the move now? Why delay the move? The more you wait, the more likely it becomes he has a change of heart or something happens.. I get keeping Sparano to guarantee a better draft pick, but if this change is a done deal, bring him in now, and let him evaluate the team these next 10 weeks.. If we win a bunch of games and lose out on Luck then so be it..

Puka-head likes this.
  26. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    That would certianly lead to every one coming out of the woodwork and saying they SHOULD have just paid ESPN the money for Chucky!

That just smells like a bad excuse by a bad Organization.

How do you have him as 1A and then claim MONEY is the object blocking him....if you want your 1A you get him.

Now, if you want him, interview him, and are blown away by Cowher over Gruden...fine.....but to say MONEY is the object thus you went with 1B? Sets you up to be second guessed at every misstep!

27. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    What part of IRONCLAD and prohibitive don't you understand? Or is it your goal in life to bash Ross and the organization every chance you get, even when have a glimmer of hope of this franchise being saved?

Unless of course you want to start the BigDogsHunt Gruden fund and come up with 30 million or so to pay off ESPN and their ironclad contract that Gruden KNEW would tie him to ESPN and Monday night football for the foreseeable future.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  28. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    It's already been reported that the ESPN contract does not come into effect until the 2012 season STARTS.

ckparrothead and BigDogsHunt like this.
  29. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Someone needs to kidnap him on draft day, then.

Marco likes this.
  30. godolphins

godolphins New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Please take this with a grain of salt, LaCanfora has been wrong plenty of times.

gafinfan likes this.
  31. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    The start of the '12 season is when his new pay probably kicks in, doesn't mean that he isn't tied to ESPN the second he signed off on it..

Either way, it doesn't matter. This is all conjecture. Bill Cowher left the Steelers a winner, on top of his game after a decade of excellence. Gruden was fired from Tampa. I'm not going to get in to a pissing match with people that are so convinced that this organization sucks that they will take whatever tidbit of information to prove their point, despite evidence pointing to the contrary.. I guess now that Henne is gone we need to find something else to have a circular debate around.

32. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He hasn't yet, Cowher is also linked to Jacksonville.

33. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    For the record, I want Cowher, and I liked Henne.....I'm just stating what I heard. Your posts are rather agressive. Realx a bit bro, there is actually no "EVIDENCE" pointing to any contrary.....both Gruden and Cowher were/are linked here. PFT just linked them both here as of yesterday.

So, being that it's week 7, we have a ways to go to find out what is truth, and what is falacy.

ckparrothead and BigDogsHunt like this.
  34. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Sucks that it took another season, but in the long run we might be better off that way. Cowher with Henne probably would have produced about 7 - 9 wins, maybe less. Just enough to screw draft position but not much else. Now Cowher gets to get a franchise prospect at QB to work with. Hopefully Luck...

35. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Optimism cup....starting to fill back up. While I'd be happy with Gruden, given the choice, I'll take Cowher. bringing in Whisenhunt and Grimm is icing on the cake.
    and I don't buy that Whisenhunt was only successful because of Warner/Fitz. If he comes here, we likely will have Luck or Landry.

36. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Or Henne may actually have a coaching staff that can elevate his game....

:tantrum:

37. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    So in the offseason Cowher refused to talk about the Miami gig as long as Sparano was still employed and now he's already reaching out to potential assistant coaches while Sparano is still, yup, employed.

alen1 and BigDogsHunt like this.
  38. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Even Ross can't screw up the fact that he bough a storied franchise with young talent, a top 2 overall pick, in South Florida with no income tax.....can he?

I don't buy the BS about Ross and free agents for that matter. Miami's history and location make Miami a popular destination regardless.

39. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Let's start with that part......Ross is the one (potentially) claiming Gruden is 1A....but he is going with 1B.....why state that? Prohibitive my *** is what I am saying. Its stupid business to claim thats the reason you dont secure your 1A - you can pony up the $ (really whats the #?), between TODAY and when it comes into effect in 2012????....thats simply a bad PR move.

Listen, tone it down some ok, Clearly, Ross doesnt need my help in screwing up and looking the fool - he has consistently nailed that move all by himself. I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, as I did with Henne by the way. But would be nice to return to having an Owner that didnt give you the need to even think about meeting them halfway from blunderville. Its all on him.

Only he can change this, and it starts with no making basic mistakes in image (since thats his job #1).

40. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    That I 100% agree with Bum...just feel like whoever put it out there - if true - looks foolish and half harted to SOLVE THE PROBLEM...why say Gruden is 1A and use the $$$ as the excuse. Smells bad. First you make it look to the WORLD that your coach is lame duck, you want changes, you want glamour, and you claim to stop at nothing to return this franchise to glory...then a news piece is released saying your 1A is a non-starter for some financial reason.

Hell, I always felt Cowher was 1A simply because of Peterson connection and Peterson having Ross ear. Say Cowher is 1A, and Gruden is 1B - especially if you are going after Cowher. That's win/win. Do what makes you remove all doubt that you actually know what you are doing right???

You dont think it could have or should have been handled differently??

Like Cowher and Gruden have been neck and neck and each bring value keys to the table...at the moment it seems Cowher is in the lead, etc.

PR 101 just seems to be escaping this FO for MONTHS if not YEARS.....

Of course Jason could be making all this up.