1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jason Taylor a Hall of Fame player?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, May 17, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hat tip to Skolnick:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...olphins-jason-taylors-hall-of-fame-shot-.html

Kevin Greene is the all time sack leader among Linebackers, JT is 40 or so behind him, and as Skolnick shows, it is not impossible for a 35yr old OLB to remain productive, though Doleman was more of a 4-3 defensive end.

cnc66 and calphin like this.
  2. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    I think this season will have a good amount of influence of whether JT will be HoF material.

3. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    If JT falls flat on his face in the next couple of seasons I don't think he makes it in but if he has a couple of 10+ sack years and the Phins have some success he will have a very good shot. I'm kind of surprised that there isn't any mention of the big plays JT has a knack for making, he's gotten quite a few defensive TDs, ffs and ints. He's got a legit shot at the HOF but he's not a lock.

dolphindebby, mullingan and cnc66 like this.
  4. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    There are other things to look at outside of just sacks but I'd have to agree that he's certainly not a lock at this point.

Agua likes this.
  5. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i have no doubt that JT will be in the Hall Of Fame. doesn't he have the most defensive TD's?

6. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    In my opinion, he isn't in yet, but he has the chance to change that. If the coaching staff can put him in the right situation and he still has some gas in the tank he can make himself a viable candidate. I said this as a joke a couple days ago, but I'm sorta serious when I say that I hope Bill tweeks him some.. reminds him that all of what he's done can be immortilized in Canton or just in our Ring of Honor.. I think what he does now will decide that. I cannot for the life of me think of a player with more reason to be motivated.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    JT is on the verge of joining the "Hall of the Very Good", not the Hall of Fame, part of that is he played on some really bad Dolphins teams, another part of it is he was consistent, but not consistently "great", JT was more likely to have 12 sacks as 18, granted he did that year after year, but on a 6-10 team no one really notices.

If we make a deep playoff run, and "if" JT plays at a high level for two more years, I say "probably", JT is a solid citizen, and did well on DWTS showing depth in a positive way.

But as it sits right now, he needs those two years, if he can pass K Greene he will have a better case for the HoF, but if he doesn't pass Greene, how can Greene be kept out if JT is let in?

8. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    JT will be in our Ring of Honor no matter what. Even if he walks out today and quits.

9. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He played on 3 losing seasons in Miami. Not sure how that is 6-10 year over year. 2004, 2006 and 2007.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I do believe you answered your own question jd.

11. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Kevin Greene had never won Defensive Player of the Year. I wonder if that makes a difference.

12. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    If the question is will JT get into the Hall of Fame, I believe that answer is no. To get into the Hall, you have to be the dominant player at your position for an extended period of time. I would argue that JT, as a DE or OLB was excellent for his entire career, but not dominant for long enough of a stretch.

The bar for the Hall of Fame should be set high.

13. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    agreed that he has not yet earned a ticket to the HoF ... if for no other reason, he was a 1 trick pony until Saban showed up and utilized his versatility, making up for his glaring weakness against the run.

JT has good stats - but he'll need a couple more years to improve them in order to reach an elite status to get into the hall.

14. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    As of right now, yes he's hall worthy. We all know his accolades. DpoY, many many sacks, interceptions, TD's etc etc.

But in my opinion he won't be a first ballot, maybe a second or third, and that is what his upcomming season could change, if he can be highly productive and help the phins go on a long playoff run.

15. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    A DPOY award winner who is #14 in career sacks (active leader), #1 in Defensive TD's scored by a lineman (#25 All-Time), #4 All-Time in fumble return yards and a 6-Time Pro Bowler who didn't miss a game from 1998 through 2007?

He's a HOF'er right now IMO. All homer bias aside, the guy has drawn double-teams for years and has still been a game-changer on defense.

GridIronKing34, dolfan22 and Firesole like this.
  16. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think Jason Taylor is a Hall of Famer even if he doesn't play another game.....add up the Pro Bowls, plus the Defensive Player of the Year, the sacks and other stats.....he's in.

I think close but not quite a Hall of Famer might be Zach Thomas's fate...he reminds me a lot of Randy Gradishar of the Denver Broncos who had a lot of very good years but isn't in.

I think one person you could look at to compare Jason Taylor with is Linebacker Andre Tippet of the New England Patriots who played from 1982-1993.

1. In Tippett's 12 year career he played for THREE playoff teams, and ONE AFC Champion (1985). Jason Taylor has also played 12 years and has played for FIVE playoff teams, but no Superbowl appearances.

2. Tippett had 100 sacks in 151 games. Taylor has 120 sacks in 185 games.

3. Tippett was selected 5 times to the Pro Bowl. Taylor has been selected 6 times. Tippett was selected 2x First team All-Pro selection, and 2x Second Team. JT has been selected 3X First team, and 1X Second Team. Tippett had one Co-Defensive Player of the Year award. JT has one Defensive Player of the Year Award.

4. Tippett had one career INT, 19 fumbles recovered, and two career TD's. JT has seven career INT's, 26 fumbles recovered and eight TD's.

5. JT's numbers are better than Andre Tippet's numbers right now. JT only has missed 7 games in his twelve year career. Andre Tippett missed about 24 games in his career. If you get elected based on numbers, JT is a lock.

dolphindebby, dolfan22 and GARDENHEAD like this.
  17. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I disagree.. he would be lucky to survive the first cut.. he's only loved "here" Roman..

18. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I agree , it is debatable either way , but I believe the production , paired with the big plays , which you illustrated certainly makes him a HOF'er if his last 2/3 seasons mirror his previous body of work.

His age is less a concern I believe, his body is a plus and the system he will be in will take full advantage of his skills and mismatches he can and will provide. Plus the team SHOULD be a playoff team the next 3 years and hopefully a Super Bowl winner.

Hearing both JT and coach speak , how can you not believe they have this connection? JT makes it absolutely known he would follow Tony into battle anywhere , OR would lead if that is what Tony wanted. No prima donna , TO attitude here ... and make no mistake the feeling is mutual from coach's end.

He's playing for me , was one of the lines that caught my attention ...

Love it ... LOVE IT !!!

dolphindebby likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As Skolnick correctly points out though, JT doesn't have the numbers of sacks to make the push for the HoF as of yet, I do think what happens in Miami from now forward will really count towards whether or not he makes it in.

If we make a run in the playoffs I can't help but think that would help, but keep in mind K Greene led the Panthers to the NFC title game in their second year after playing their first football game in the NFL, and he has not been elected to the HoF.

20. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Excellent analysis. I stand corrected.

dolfan22 likes this.