1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jay Glazer: Dolphins to seek permission to interview Bengals DC Mike Zimmer

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    we need a "no thanks" button.

Pandarilla likes this.
  2. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I hate your sig. Can you not find a less dorky looking picture of our owner......

3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I could also see Merling in the Fanene role. Fanene plays DT in their base and lines up at DE sometimes in their 3 down linemen packages. I think Odrick would be better suited for that role, and LE for that matter, than Merling is. That is one of the things with Zimmer though, especially if he were somehow able to bring Jay Hayes with him. He's had a history of turning guys around. Frostee Rucker was starting by season's end. Carlos Dunlap was an absolute beast until he messed him his hamstring in their first game against Pittsburgh. I think there's more to the injury than Cincinnati led on as Dunlap missed a few games and had most of his snaps replaced by Frostee Rucker down the stretch. But to have guys like Rucker, Fanene, Dunlap, and Geno Atkins, who is probably their best lineman, ALL playing that well speaks highly of him. And Jay Hayes.

4. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Is that counting Lawson's blitzes and pass-rush snaps, or purely pass-rush snaps. I feel like he's sent more often than 46 times. Zimmer does send a lot of nickel corner and safety blitzes as well. Alen had a nice write-up about that in the Club thread I think.

I guess I'm iffy on what Zimmer would look for. Obviously Ngyuen was pretty athletic. They let Dhani Jones walk, and not because he was asking for a lot of money. Jones did a lot more things than Maualuga is doing. Part of it could be Maualuga's ankle injury. He wasn't 100% for the last 7-8 games and they inserted Brandon Johnson into the nickel and dime packages. I'd be interested to see how Keith Rivers would've fit into his defense this year. He was on IR to start the season, not sure if he stayed on it all year or if they dumped him.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Just gives me hives, sort of like a car that won't start a couple of times, you never really trust it again.

I saw a guy with 20 tackles pulling down 12 million to make the 3-4 work, I've seen so many 3-4 lb's bust out over the yrs it just rubs me the wrong way Mr C, to much specialization required to run the thing, like those old MG's, when they ran they were a lot of fun, when they had a constant electrical problem you'd happily stuff a rag in the gas tank and lite a match.

6. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    How bout this one:

[​IMG]

Paul 13 and Pandarilla like this.
  7. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Well, this confirms it, we have a muppet for an owner.

8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    How can he be dorky if he's throwing a football?

PSG likes this.
  9. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Much better......

10. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    By those standards, who actually qualifies as a 'good' head coach? 29 of Don Shula's 32 years were spent with Johnny Unitas, Bob Griese and Dan Marino.

OT: Belichick looked quite good without Brady in 2008.

11. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    A lighter Merling would fit what Zimmer looks for on defense. His defensive look isn't too far off what a 3-4 Wade Phillips looks like. It wouldn't be crazy to see Wake playing in space once in a while but he'll definitely be switching to the right side in Zimmer's defense as Zimmer likes that left end to be a very big pass rushing defensive end. Langford/Merling should suffice actually. Our DL overall isn't far off theirs. Inside Vontaze Burfict could be an option in the draft.

12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    this is a nice quote by Armando / Sports Illustrated: