1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Fishers possible staff selections

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dWreck, Jan 13, 2012.

1. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/13/2587122/waiting-game-continues-for-miami.html#storylink=cpy

i dont mind the first two choices, but the latter is bleeeggghhhhh. neat read i guess

late edit: I wasn't really crazy about Fisher at the start, but, as one of the comments read, if it means less power for Ireland and a bit more for Fisher, i'm fine with being patient.

2. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Shouldn't he decide where he is going to coach first? I don't care for the game he is playing he needs to make up his mind or we move on without him.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  3. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Well yes, but that is just a tid bit of the article that I thought was interesting and possibly/partly depressing. The rest is about the agonizing delay, speculation as of why, and a bunch of other stuff.

either way -- I agree. Pick the place before you worry about your staff (although a strong staff would be nice :D )

4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    brian schottenheimer....that would suck

Boik14 likes this.
  5. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Maybe. But maybe not.
    You try being an OC saddled with Mark Sanchez running your offense and see how it goes.

6. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Gregg Williams leaving the Super Bowl contending Saints, to come coach in the same position with the dumpster fire Dolphins/Rams?

I don't see it.

7. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    You'd be surprised what money, power (***'t head coach title) and working with a good friend can do.

8. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I dunno. Gregg is pretty loyal to Sean Payton. Payton took a paycut in order to meet Gregg's salary demands. He's not gonna leave Payton on a lateral move.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Williams' contract is up, and the Saints are notoriously cheap when it comes to Staff positions.

I'd love for Fisher to either keep Fipp or hire Steve Crosby.

10. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    If Fisher can't get the staff he wants to work for him on the sideline, why would he want any coaching job? The 2011 season isn't even over yet. Patience is our watchword.

And a word on Brian Schottenheimer...he is his father's student and if you think that's all that bad, other students of Marty Schottenheimer, directly or within his coaching tree include...

Bill Cowher
    Tony Dungy
    Mike Tomlin
    Lovie Smith
    Ken Wisenhut

What do all of those coaches have in common? All Super Bowl winning or Super Bowl appearing Head Coaches, not to mention the number of coordinators under his tutilege that have appeared in Super Bowls with their respective teams.

The "Schottenheimer" name gets a bad reputation since Marty never made it to the dance, but those who have worked under Marty all became great coaches in their own right.

I wouldn't mind Brian Schottenheimer as OC in Miami. He had....Ooooooooo...MARK SANCHEZ as his quarterback. Imagine how much better Schottenheimer's offense would be if he had a much better quarterback like Matt Moore running it compared to Mark Sanchez.

Sanchez sucks...Henne's a better quarterback than Mark Sanchez

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  11. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Schotty is not a bad OC. Mark Sanchez at the helm of any offense will make it look bad.

Transplanting Daboll from Cleveland got his offense up from the 32nd to the 20th in scoring offense. The Jets were 13th in scoring offense, tied with the Ravens, and .2 points behind the Niners. Moore is clearly the better QB between he and Sanchez. That should give him a boost. Now if we can get a real field general, either by Moore progressing, draft, or free agency, We could be pretty good.

Also Justin Blackmon is the answer to every question ever asked.

12. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Although there are always exceptions.. and his son could be one, I mostly agree with you about sanchez and all that.

13. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    If only he was there at 8/9. I'd run naked around the ManCave.

14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

That may be the case if you look at this year, but part of that, I think, is that Ryan stuck his belly in there and made changes in the O that were not for the better. The jests got away from ground and pound mid-season and it hurt them and their progress as the year went on.

I'm not sold on Sanchez either, never have been. But Shotty jr did get them there for two years with a flawed Sanchez...something Henning, a much more respected OC in his day, couldn't do with a flawed Henne....

15. Larryfinfan

Well, what you are forgetting is that these are men with great egos. Williams probably feels that he's pretty good as a DC (and he is), but what he does in NO is overshadowed by Drew Brees and Payton's offense and always will be. Coming here or StL, turning a poor organization around is what these guys live for. None of us really know yet whether Williams will follow Fisher yet, but the ego factor is huge in these guys making decisions to move or not move around...

And Ross or Kroenke's money versus what he is getting in NO won't hurt him either...

16. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know how realistic it is, but I hope we'd end up with Fisher or no a Shanahan/Kubiak style one-cut WCO. It just works so well with a lot of our pieces.

Reggie Bush would be killer in that kind of run scheme, Daniel Thomas is more of a zone runner. Matt Moore would be very well served by playing in a scheme that'll actually utilize his mobility and then such a strong emphasis on play-action bootleg deep passes would really play to his strengths. Charles Clay would be excellent leaking out of the back-side of those kind of plays too.

17. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Shooty is not bad, he was horrible. I would hate to see this. When you have Sanchez, you don't throw the ball 59 times in a game, you have to run the ball, and he didn't.

18. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

It's amazing what context will do to a phrase...

CaribPhin and GreysonWinfield like this.
  19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I believe you can pencil in Chuck Cecil in the secondary.

This is the first I'm hearing of Dave McGinnis but that's interesting.

There's been speculation about Jim Washburn in Philly.

The OC position is also interesting. If he's opening up that job for interviews and not just lining someone up, then I have a feeling the interviews could be Brian Schottenheimer, Dirk Koetter and Dowell Loggains.

20. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The Jets attempted 2 passes of 40 yards or longer all season. Think about that. 500 + passes in 16 games and only 2 passes over 40+ yards attempted. Thats not Sanchez.

21. Larryfinfan

Might not have been Sanchez, but it might very well have been the 'fat exalted one's' influence on Shotty's play calling and probably why he's no longer there. I'm not a believer in Sanchez, but when the jests were a true ground and pound team, Sanchez managed things ok. When they changed that philosophy, they started breaking down...I just wonder how much Rex's influence in the O changed what was working for them a couple of years ago....

22. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Touche salesman....

23. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Maybe it it's though. Doesn't Sanchez have a weak arm and poor downfield accuracy?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Loggains hasn't been an NFL OC yet, correct? He'd be a little bit of an unknown, but maybe better, it's hard to say. From a passing standpoint though, Koetter's offenses have ranked better over his career in net yards per pass attempt than Schottenheimer or Daboll's offenses. Hue Jackson's offenses have been slightly better over his career than Koetter's, using that measurement.

25. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    It wasnt something you can pin on Ryan. Ryan was the one who encouraged Schottenheimer to open the offense up at the start of the year. 49, 30, 53, 38 were the jets pass play calls in the first 4 games. They were playing from behind vs Dallas week 1, Oakland week 3, and Baltimore week 4 when they got slaughtered :yahoo:

What I am getting at is there was plenty of opportunity to get the ball downfield especially early in the year and the playcalling was at least partially responsible for the Jets struggles.
    Weak arm, not really. I wouldnt classify Sanchez as a noodle arm in the Chad Pennington category but hes not exactly John Elway arm strength either. Id say Matt Moore is quite comparable in arm strength. Sanchez does struggle with downfield accuracy but he also struggles with short accuracy as well.

26. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Hah

27. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    When a guy like Chad Pennington tells the OC to please simplify the playbook, you know there is something wrong. Schottenheimer is the type of coach that will forgo a 95% guaranteed run on 3 and inches to run a triple reverse that gains 1 yard because he thinks it makes him look like a genius. He runs an extremely complicated offense. Look at all the coaching vacancies over the past few years and he's gotten none of them. Coincidence? I think not. That being said, he'd probably make a better HC than an OC.

Boik14 likes this.
  28. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Kinda like how Sanchez would make a better backup QB than a starting QB.....

29. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Huzzah.

So many zingers in this thread.

I for one am PSG's biggest fan.

PSG likes this.
  30. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Koetter has probably been looking for jobs for a while now so I do find it interesting that he keeps being rumored to be up for a couple of different jobs but he's not taken any yet. The Jets were rumored to be interested in him. Alabama has interviewed he and Brian Schottenheimer.

31. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I wasn't aware we were discussing that, but congrats on working it in.

EDIT: Just realized my sig. I will change that. But just remember that I was the one that thought a bunch of you were pretty ignorant for thinking that Luck was a lock to be your QB 5 games into the season.

32. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Thanks.
    And don't change it. I'm happy you've immortalized me in your sig.

33. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    The Dolphins ran the ball 1.6 times more per game than the Jets

34. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    But if you are going to change I recommend changing it with the following.:up:

35. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Just wear your customized Luck Dolphins jersey on a daily basis and you will truly be immortalized for all time.

36. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    No. That one has some validity. The other one was truly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on here.

37. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I prefer wearing this shirt on a daily basis.

[​IMG]

38. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Not entirely, but they went deep a lot more last year when they had Braylon Edwards, who was very good at getting open deep. Subbing him out for Plexico mitigated a lot of that IMO.

39. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I agree Schotty let the Giant game get away from him, but put that game in context a bit. They were playing a Giant team that was in the midst of having a ton of defensive breakdowns in the secondary. I think most Offensive Coordinators would have attacked them through the air at that point in time. Schottenheimer just let it go too far.

40. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Really? Not the "Help Wanted: NFL COACH" tee shirt?

Are you normally like this or is the Fischer watch just making you cranky?