1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Garcia or Chris Sims- Trade to Miami?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shaunm000, Aug 6, 2008.

1. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    I know ive been blabbering alot today. But with all this Favre to TB speculation, and the idea of Jeff and or Chris out the door... Could we scoop any of them up?

Would we need either of them?

I knows its probably not gonna happen, but you never know!

2. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Garcia arguably better than McCown, but I suspect Minnesota is a better fit and they're contenders to boot. Is Sims better than McCown at this stage? Hard to tell, but it couldn't hurt to bring him in for a tryout

3. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Hope not, there is only 3 more weeks of TC left before the regular season, I think at this point, were better off with what we have and moving forward with that. Besides, WR's dropping passes cannot be a knock on the QB... Recently the QB has been doing their jobs getting the ball out, then the WR ef's up.... Ju know Mang

EDIT: Eh, maybe it wouldnt HURT to see if they got any juice... I dont know.. Im just kinda going with it at this point...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I believe Muck pointed out that Simms might be included in the deal to GB. I'd be happy with both to be honest with you.

As for us being interested in Garcia, I have no clue but it seems unlikely. I could see him ending up with the Bears though. Their QB situation is up in the air.

I would think that we would be interested in Simms if he wasn't part of the deal and became a FA. Very early in the off-season, there was talk that this team was keeping tabs on the Simms situation in Tampa. I wouldn't be surprised if he we scooped him up.

5. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    Good points. I didnt even think about Garcia going to someone like the Bears.

6. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    no thanks and no thanks.

the overall goal is to get better, but to do it developing your own guys, not re-using retreads. both garcia & simms have good qualities about them, but given where we are and where we're trying to head, i really wouldn't be interested in trading for them, no.

Paul 13, cnc66 and like2god like this.
  7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I wouldn't trade for them either. I thought we were talking about them getting released?

8. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    If theyre released I mean... Trade.. hells no

9. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    if they're released (which i doubt since both have trade value), then i might be interested in Simms as an alternative to McCown.

but honestly, we've already signed our QBs, why bring in another? We're obviously not going to get rid of Beck or Henne, and we just signed McCown. this would make no sense - who'd be the odd QB out?

but its a moot point. they're not going to outwardly release either garcia or simms.

10. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Only if its a straight up trade

agreed here... Probably McCown

11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, we do need a 4th Qb to stash somewhere, those players are not good fits, but if "2 is 1 and 1 is none" it would be nice to have a guy who had a relative outline of the offense...

Maybe that is how Jayson Foster sticks?

12. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Yupper

This is a rebuilding team and we need to start developing our own players and stop looking for the quick fix in the form of retreads. That is part of the reason we are where we are today.

13. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    The only way I would want Jeff Garcia or Chis Simms here is if we got rid of Joash McCown and picked up one of them as a 3rd string qb. We dont need to pick up any qb's we need to stick with the ones that we have and we dont need to pick up anymore.

14. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    either that, or keep one of our practice squad guys we've had for years and never needed :up:

i disagree with the needing 4th QB idea though - practice squad. ;)

15. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    At this point, Jeff Garcia (age 38) is best served being with a contender running a west coast system. Frankly, he's best served in Tampa. IMO the Bucs would be better served with him than messing around with Favre.

Simms is highly unlikely to remain in Tampa. He and Brian Griese have been mentioned as possible components of a Favre trade.

Honestly, I'd take on Simms only if we're cutting somebody. I'd say Beck is the least safe, since this admin didn't sign him. But we could easily have these three all season save for injury. Plus, Simms would probably prefer Dallas, where he's got a shot at a title and backup Brad Johnson is 39.

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  16. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    :up:

17. Kippyia1354

Kippyia1354 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    He Sucks!

I think Chris Simms sucks! I would not touch him with a ten foot pole!

Stringer Bell likes this.
  18. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I would take Simms in a heartbeat, I would not touch Garcia.
    Simms would step right in here as the Vet backup and could start, he is younger and better than McCown and know's this system, its very similar to what his father ran.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
    alen1 likes this.
  19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    potm

20. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

We don't want a WCO QB...we don't run a WCO or any resemblance thereof...Remember Garcia in Cleveland ?? He was terrible...he's moved back to his familiar offense and he does well...for some reason, WCO QBs just don't transition to vertical offenses very well...You can go back as far as Steve Young...At BYU, he ran a version of the WCO...got drafted by Tampa and was a bust until he ended up in SF and became a HOF QB...

I just don't see us going after any of those QBs...not that McCown is any stud, but right now, he's better than Simms or Garcia for us...

21. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Is he???? Right now he is having the worst camp out of the three QB's. Both QB's would be an upgrade over McCown, and Simms makes the most sence since he is younger and know's the offense.

22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't see that...there is absolutely no relation from what his father ran to what he's run in his career...I don't think he'd have any advantage coming here...he's not familiar with anything about the vertical offense...and remember the trouble that it seems that every WCO qb has converting back to this type of offense...think Garcia in Cleveland, Griese here after being in Denver...JMHO, but I just don't see any of the QBs there being a help to us...

23. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Chris Simms ran that offense in HS, and is more suited for that offense that Garcia. Chris Simms was brought up being a film nut and would pick it up in a heartbeat, and its the same offense his father ran and you don't think they talk?

24. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    No to Simms. Haven't we had enough of borderline-talent game managers for QB's here?

25. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'd take either of them. Especially Jeff.

26. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I don't think either gives us an upgrade. Different than what we have but not a clear cut upgrade. No thanks to both.

27. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I wouldn't mind Garcia, but would he fit in here ? We don't play the west coast offense.

28. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Don't ask me why, but I feel like Simms goes to Dallas to backup Romo, Favre goes to Tampa and takes the reigns, and Garcia goes to the Jets and beats out noodlearm. At no point do I see us involved in any transactions for anyone on Tampa or Green Bay's rosters. JMO

29. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not on the 53 man roster Texas.

30. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    No to any new QB at this point in time. McCown has played the worst, it appears, during training camp, but he was brought in as a stop gap and veteran backup/insurance policy. Beck is coming along and playing better. Henne is way ahead of where I would have thought he would have been. Not saying I did not think he had skills but he is a rookie and the whole adjusting to the speed of the NFL thing, I thought, would hold him back. However, it seems he is really stepping up. I would rather go with the young guys (Beck and Henne) then get another QB in here at this point in time. Can't get our young guys game experience if we keep bringing in other teams rejects. We have one already (McCown).

31. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Id take garcia based on the fact that he takes teams to the playoffs man.

32. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

I would say No to Garcia, as he plays best in WCO.

33. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    yeah the browns kicked but in the playoffs several years ago :up:

34. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Dont forget about Detroit!!!

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Give me Simms via FA pickup. If they want to trade him, they can keep 'em.