1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Ireland defends Daboll hire, sidesteps question about Ross' desire for explosive

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Trowa, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dolphins/joerose/2011/01/jeff_ireland_defends_daboll_hi.html

Good read here. Always interesting to hear the thoughts of the GM himself, as much of a smoke screen and string of lies as it often proves to be.

2. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Possibly one of the best things to hear said from Ireland. We know what Ross' vision for this team is, but as long as he's allowing the football people to make the football decisisons we will be alright. The last thing we need is a Jerry Jones/Al Davis level ownership fiasco. There have been some who have hinted at Ross being a meddler, but if Ireland is to be believed maybe he's just a really energetic fan of the team and a wise businessman who's getting his face and name out there. The guy has brought some money into the team. You gotta give the guy credit for enlisting all the celebrity part owners. Helps him shoulder the burden of the finances, and we know we'll never be able to call him a cheap owner. He'll open the pocket book to pay for free agents. As long as he keeps his fingers out of the player selection process I'm on board.

3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don’t see how Ireland sidestepped the question about having an explosive offense. If anything, he seemed amused by the premise of Rose’s question, that Sparano and his new staff are fundamentally unable to coach or plan the kind of offense the Packers, Eagles, Patriots, Chargers, etc have.

Whether or not he’s correct is another issue.

5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Well, to be fair, the football people got us to 7-9 two years in a row. :lol: I kid, I kid.

6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    yeah well...... let's see what Patrick Turner and John Nalbone have to say about that.

7. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    And Bill Polian thought Rodger Saffold was a right tackle. No one’s perfect.

Edit: Actually, now that I look at the Colts’ draft classes from 2008-2010, one could make a case that Jeff Ireland has out-drafted Bill Polian over the same timespan. Both guys did pretty well in 2009, though Polian schooled Ireland in drafting mid-round WRs that year by taking Austin Collie.

8. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Clemons might have been Ireland's best pick pertaining to value and spot drafted.

UFA like Bess do not count, so I think Clemons might end up being Ireland's best late round find thus far.

9. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    It was Tony all the way but on Ross' Sideways trip to California he met this other guy and well he was just a fling you know...it really was Tony all the way. :lol:

Ireland should stop commenting on it otherwise he comes across as disingenuous or worse.

jetssuck likes this.
  10. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I think Jones and Carroll will be better picks.

11. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    If you can consider 3rd round picks value picks I like Kendall Langford in round 3 in 08