1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Ireland interview with Alex Marvez/Bill Polian

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...ruggles-his-rookie-class-and-new-4-3-defense/

Some interesting information:

It sounds like the Dolphins 4-3 defense isn't really going to be a radical departure from what we've done in years past.

When Polian mentions them doing a 2-gap front, I think what he's probably referring to is them lining up in a lot of 4-3 Under fronts like Nick Saban ran here. Basically a 2-gap "bubble" where the DE and NT on the strong side are playing 2-gap, and the DT and DE on the weak side of the formation are playing 1-gap. You've basically got Jared Odrick playing Kevin Carter, Paul Soliai as Keith Traylor, Randy Starks as Vonnie Holliday, Wake as Jason Taylor, etc.

I think the "little difference with the linebackers" refers to them doing "Over" stuff they are talking about later. Basically you're still lining up the same players as the same general psuedo 3-4 positions(Wake wide, Starks at 3-technique, Soliai at 1-technique), but they seemed like they were playing with the back-side in practice with Odrick playing a little bit wider than a normal 3-4 DE at like a 6-technique, and Misi kind of flipping between on the line and off the line.

I hate this so much.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Personally I'd love to see Misi play some De and some MLB as he is a good enough athlete to do it and really the only one who could do it effectively imo.

Dansby played some as a De last yr iirc, but I think Misi is just better suited to doing so.

3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I'd rather be attacking the LOS and penetrating than playing read and react. To me, the one gap stuff lets you attack better from the DL (our strength) rather than using it as guys minding lanes and occupyng bodies while the impact plays fall to the linebackers (2 gap system, in my mind).

I want Wake's hand in the dirt and to minimize his pass coverage drops, as well as keep him out of a two point stance as much as possible.

I need to go look at over/under front diagrams to figure out the conseuences of playing either shift. What's are the pros and cons for run d, pass rush, etc. Whose roles change and how.

4. Bpk

Misi ia a little small for DE, no? And he doesn't have Mathis/ Freeney type quicks.

I thought pass coverage was something Misi had to improve on when he came out. Has he gotten so good at it that we want him to cover the entire middle of the field, or matchup on tight tends in the seam?

5. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I think 4-3 and 3-4 both work. It depends on getting the right personnel and making the right calls to attack a particular offense. If you have intelligent players who can do different things every game, you can keep an offense off balance and make a QB think. The key is both the talent and great D play calling. Baltimore has remained great on D by having a physically powerful front 7 and two all-time greats at MLB and S. Pittsburgh has done similar but LeBeau is also great at making up blitzes that an offense has trouble dealing with. So, regardless of the actual D on runs, the right talent plus the right calls to keep an offense off-kilter is a key. Whether Coyle can do that remains to be seen but hopefully he can.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Hey pate, did you ever find out if they are spilling ball carriers?

7. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    No, the one camp I went to I couldn't really see ****. The kept practicing on the far field and at angles that made it really hard to see techniques and run fits. I'm thinking of going back and hanging out in the NSU parking garage if I can get away with it.

alen1 likes this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Misi looks comfortable right were they have been playing him..I think with his new weight and quickness, he's better off the line.

9. Bpk

Alen, I hear the online nfl viewing this year will have full field coaching cam. Probably easy to see the techniques that way. not sure if they'll have it going for preseason though.

Isn't the benefit of spilling the ballcarrier mainly if you have great lateral defensive speed and good tackling corners and OLBs? I feel like the triangle of Starks-Soliai-Dansby is our strength so would rather see us box and contain.

10. Bpk

I would love to see him move. I have't seen footage of him this year yet.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yes sir. Unavailable for preseason to my knowledge, sadly.

Don't necessarily need great lateral speed, just discipline. But yes, the corners would be involved too. I agree with you on the triangle, but I was asking because I know spilling is usually associated with 4 man fronts.

12. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I'd like to see that as well. Last year he looked too big in my opinion and he was REALLY stiff. A totally different guy from his rookie year.

13. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I think that's a good observation- Misi does look a bit physically smaller than last season. I don't know if that's to blame for him being worse than his pretty impressive rookie season, but I don't think the extra weight would help him now.

I don't know that I agree Misi is better off the line, but I think he's a better blitzer than he is an edge rusher.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    he seemed much more fluid in space and coverage,thought that you could start to see movement that matched his draft status..he was impressive in camp.