Jeff Ireland Joining Saints Personnel Department

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shamegame13, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    There isn't a statistic traditionally associated with QB play with regard to which he was significantly above average.

2. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    That says more about the statistics youre looking at than it does about Tannehill.

3. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    We'll have to agree to disagree there. What you're saying at this point is unfalsifiable and is a matter only of opinion.

4. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm old school like that. Keep the stats, show me the tape.

5. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Every GM's have holes on their team, which is of course the nature of the NFL. But eventually they fill them. How long did Ireland go without finishing building our OL? We are STILL trying to build it! LBs were chronically a problem on this team. Our WRs until we got Wallace were all below-average #2's. Even Marshall was not a #1. Even when we had him and then added Wallace, everyone else was garbage. Please don't tell me Hartline is a starting quality receiver. His stats were padded because we didn't have anyone else. I don't want to argue that point again. We still don't have a starting RB. Sure Miller looked better this year(a pick I actually liked), thanks to a better OL and he working on his craft. But he's not really what you'd want in a starting RB, he's a good #2. We still need a powerback not named Daniel Thomas(bad pick). I'll give you that he did find Clay, but he's a hybrid. We still need a taller, better blocking, red zone target of a TE who can stretch the seam. Is that Dion Sims? Not sure. I'll give Sims time to continue to develop. But the team stayed with Fansano way too long and Clay, who's a become a pretty good receiver, is not someone who should be your long term plan at TE. He's a good option if you have no one better, but imagine how much more of an impact if he was the #2 TE ala Keith Byars. The secondary is still a work in progress, after he traded two players who were supposed to be future cornerstones in Vontae Davis and Sean Smith, he replaced them with one good aging Pro Bowler and a bunch of future scrubs in Jamar Taylor and Will Davis. Nolan Carroll had a good moments and was a solid option as a nickel, but he was too inconsistent with his play. He's also no longer here. The one pick he did land on was Reshad Jones. This wound up being a good pick, considering there aren't too many good safeties in NFL right now. But he's not quite elite, and he had a down year last year. He played better in 2014 but still had some bad moments. But I'll put Jones in the "good pick for Ireland". The rest of the secondary is a mess. We also need a new kicker, because while Carpenter wasn't the answer either, Sturgis is slightly worse. He was smart to keep Brandon Fields I'll give him that. He also built a good D-Line, the only unit that was impressive in is tenure. So that's ?s for RB, TE, WR, OL, LB, CB, S, K. So yeah, he could find a few good players here and there, but failed to actually build cohesive units with them. Do you get it now?

Bottom line: Hickey still has a lot of work to do.

6. 13Machine8385

13Machine8385 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Roster management is the most important job of a GM. The Saints would be wise to not give him too much responsibility. I don't think that guy is ever a GM again.

7. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    IRELAND QUIT

He was not fired

8. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    He was stripped of his power, so basically he was fired from his GM position. And if we didn't have a complete idiot as an owner, he woulda been fired a long time ago.

9. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Hurricane Ireland:shifty:

10. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Ireland refused the position he was offered, several other candidates refused it as well, Hickey ended up taking the job, hardly an upgrade.

2socks and ToddPhin like this.
  11. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Average number of Pro Bowl players for a non-playoff team?
    Wake- Pro Bowl
    Grimes- Pro Bowl
    Pouncey- Pro Bowl
    Charles Clay- #89 on NFLN Top 100 last year
    Branden Albert [9 games]- been to the Pro Bowl
    Mike Wallace- been to the Pro Bowl
    Randy Starks- been to 2 Pro Bowls
    Reshad Jones- arguably snubbed from Pro Bowl
    Jelani Jenkins- potential future Pro Bowler
    Lamar Miller- nearly 1400 scrimmage yards, 5.1 avg, 9 TD

12. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Where does using that measure of talent (rather than number of 2014 Pro Bowl players alone) put the Dolphins in comparison to the league norm?

13. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Probably because it meant he'd be stripped of his power.

I don't blame em, I would've refused it too...if I was a coveted executive I wouldn't blow my one shot at running a team on a situation where I have Failbin and Aponte forced on me and they don't even answer to me.

You surprised? He shouldn't have even been interviewed, let alone hired. He was like the 8th choice.

I don't even know what you're point is, you didn't refute anything I said.

14. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    I dont know if it has been stated yet, but its official, he has been hired by NO.

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Then you wouldn't coach for 19 different teams in the league, because that's how many DO NOT have the power structure you think.

In case you're as bad at math as you are at football, that's over half.......which means the majority of teams DO NOT agree with your power structure.

16. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Ireland was not fired.

His positional duties were reduced, and he resigned. They still call Hickey "GM". If that's what you call the position Hickey holds. Seems like a glorified Head Scout position to me.

Serpico Jones likes this.
  17. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Sorry, just injecting a little common sense into the discussion.

You say the GM sucks, coach sucks, owner is an idiot. Yet the team on the field is average? You're refuting yourself.

18. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Jelani Jenkins is very overrated here.. lol

19. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    If that's the case then a lot of teams have glorified scouts as GMs. GMs who take players according to who the HC wants, other teams have HCs who follow the lead of the GM. With Ireland and Philbin we had neither and Ross sided with Joe so Irish left. I think we pretty much agree.

20. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    We do agree.

I guess my idea, right or wrong is a General Manager has his hands in many areas, not just acquisition of the groceries. He or she would oversee, maybe not be directly involved, in many areas.

I think Jeff Ireland most likely disliked the political alignment and subsequent back peddling by Ross. When Ireland saw, after many years being Ross's go to guy, Ross essentially turn on him, Visions of Ross going to see about bringing Harbaugh in Ran through his head.

Ireland realized Ross's has loyalty to noone and even less integrity --- Ireland bailed and I don't blame him

DcDolfan420 likes this.
  21. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    Nice, there's at least one other crazy Ireland backing f*** on this planet like me. Niiiiice.

22. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    People needed a place to put there frustration and anger. That became Jeff Ireland. Ireland was in the Wrong place at the wrong time. Ross needed a scape goat, he made it Ireland.

Never could justify the Hate. I understand it but was it justified - NO Was Ireland perfect - nope.

But he did a reasonable job. People expected him to make all the perfect pics. If he worked with the staff on the pics and they didn't pan out it was his fault. When he pulled rank and made a call it was his fault. He did work with the coaching staff (not always) to give them the best he knew how to give with the money he had to spend. When it didn't work out it was his fault about the contract Wheeler and Ellerbe got.

When it was a good signing was it Ireland that got the credit - Nope ---- it was Dawn Aponte and she is a "CAP GURU". Hmmmmmm......where we at right now? Without getting rid of some big names(big in our dolphin world) we are screwed. Well.......maybe not------we can always kick the can down the road

It was also Ireland's job to train and coach the players so that we win!! When that didn't happen it was Jeffy's fault.

Now he is gone and we are still no further along. 2 yrs removed and getting ready to start another season and the team IMO has regressed

DcDolfan420 likes this.