1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Ireland's Best Moves Thus Far

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Mar 21, 2012.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Someone, anyone, please defend Jeff Ireland's GM prowess by naming your favorite things he's done as GM. And I don't want "we didn't overpay for Matt Flynn". I want a list of moves he made that you think were awesome.

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Not calling my mom a whore? Does that count? :shifty:

3. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Jesus this board is going downhill fast. Every thread is about the petty bull**** between posters and calling each other out. Can't you all chill the **** out for one?

4. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm serious with this tread. I would like a list of Ireland's great moves. I'm not even baiting the Ireland Jock Sniffers (IJS) into an argument. I just want a list. I won't even rebut the lists. I'm honestly curious as to what the IJS see in the guy.

5. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Honest answer. It's tough. I mean, I'm trying to think of a move he's made that's led to long term success for this team. If Brandon Marshall were still on the roster, that would be my pick.

I'd pick Jake Long, because I love Jake. But that's just more of an example of playing it safe, and a Parcellian philosophy.

I guess I'll go with Reggie Bush. All due respect to Cam Wake and Vernon Davis, but if we're not going to blame Ireland for past mistakes when Parcells was here, I'm not going to give him credit either.

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  6. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    And was Long really him or was it Parcells?

We will never know.

7. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    All comes down to the QB in today's NFL.

Tin Indian and Bumrush like this.
  8. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Cam Wake
    Randy Starks
    Chad Pennington
    Tony McDaniels
    Davone Bess
    Jake Long
    Anthony Fasano
    Mike Pouncey
    Jared Odrick
    Matt Moore
    Jimmy Wilson
    Reggie Bush
    Vontae Davis
    Charles Clay

Tone_E, sws84, huck1974 and 8 others like this.
  9. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Nor could you blame him or the team for thinking Henne was the long term answer after his initial success as QB.

10. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Personally I think its fair to use the entire record when evaluating him. I could see why people wouldn't though.

11. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I mean when you look at Pennington and Moore, those two acquisitions were great considering the circumstances. Obviously not long-term solutions, but the reality is that those aren't always available. In the context of free agent QBs, Moore and Pennington performed very well.

12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Another thing that impresses me about Ireland is that he does a good job of self-evaluation. When they sign or draft guys, and they stink, they cut ties pretty quickly. They don't keep them around and try to make them fit. Certainly you don't want to miss on any players, but the reality is you do. There are a lot of teams that will stick with their mistakes (Jets) instead of just accepting it and moving on.

Steve-Mo and Vengeful Odin like this.
  13. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    You can make that argument. But tell that to the folks, some of which you've supported, who claim we cannot hold Ireland responsible for what transpired while Bill was here.

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  14. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I think he took over last year so that is when I start his tenure as GM. I think the Pouncey pick will turn out to be a great pick over the long haul. Picking up M Moore has turned out to be a good move as well. Kevin Burnett was a great FA pickup as well (took him a while to get going but once he did he proved to be a good move). having said that, the best move he made was NOT trading for Orton.

sws84, Califin and Fin D like this.
  15. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Yeah...I consider him an assistant GM while Parcells was there.

16. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Don't forget Bush or Clay...or even Thomas for that matter. His record in his lone undisputed season as GM is pretty darn good.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  17. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah, I see both sides to the argument. Really for me its not a big deal, because I think its impressive whether you consider the time since Parcells left, or the entire thing.

18. Thegroundpounder99

Thegroundpounder99 New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Not pursuing Tebow. Thought he'd be stupid enough.

pumpdogs likes this.
  19. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007

#1. Wasn't his call remember at the time when Jake was drafted Bill called the shots along with a few others you mentioned.

20. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I like Clay and Bush but am not sold on Thomas at all

Laces Out likes this.
  21. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Can't be sold but his first two starts shows he has talent.

22. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Grabbing Cameron Wake out of the CFL
    Reggie Bush for a swap of 6th rounders
    Randy Starks as a no name FA
    Adding Karlos Dansby
    Drafting Vontae

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    One of his best moves is picking up Matt Moore.

Tin Indian and Fin D like this.
  24. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Agree Just pointing it out.. In reality it's over as the fans are not going to forgive their perceived notions right or wrong that our problems begin and end with Ireland. He's the lightning rod of this team. If this translates into people not supporting the team and loss of income for ROSS than I can see something happening at the end of next year. This isn't blowing over...

Fin D likes this.
  25. WesternNYDolfan

WesternNYDolfan New Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Cam Wake
    Jake Long
    Pouncy
    R.Bush
    D Thomas
    C Clay
    J Wilson
    V Davis
    R Starks
    M Moore
    Pennington
    Fasano
    L. Polite
    Not caving for Orton, Flynn, or Smith
    Not Busting on a single 1st round pick
    Dansby
    Burnett
    Solai, and the cheap contract

should I go on??

26. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Explains all the dead cap $$$$$$$$

27. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Where does Miami rank in the NFL in dead cap money???

28. ukdolphin

ukdolphin New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    London
    Well, in the last two seasons he has:

1. Drafted Jared Odrick who, at times, looked fantastic last season
    2. Signed Karlos Dansby who finally looked like a captain and a dominant linebacker towards the end of last season
    3. Signed Brandon Marshall, a threat if nothing else while he was here and a move that was never really considered bad until he was traded away
    4. Drafted a future Pro Bowl centre in Mike Pouncey
    5. This may be a push, but he drafted Daniel Thomas and he may well improve dramatically next season
    6. Drafted Charles Clay as a receiving threat from the fullback spot
    7. Gave Jimmy Wilson a shot, and was proven right with some solid, unexpected performances
    8. Built what many consider to be a darn good defense
    9. Signed Reggie Bush when others thought he wasn't an every-down running back... we all know how that turned out
    10. Picked up Matt Moore, and at the very least you can now make a case for him to be a genuine NFL starter

There's the top 10 but I'm probably missing a couple

29. Sometimes the best moves are the ones not made at all.

30. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    His ability to find acorns and playmakers
    Hartline 1 td in the past 26 games
    Misi 1 sack in the last 17 games...

31. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I have had a lot of aggravation with him lately, but as I've said before - He took over this team with nothing and has built it to where I believe it is a QB away from relevance again and he deserves kudo's for that.

32. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I'll give him credit for that but its because we didn't get Garrad.

33. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    That's half a point unless your dads a pimp.

34. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Why is it that when those of us who want Ireland fired because of his overall incompetence as a GM, we are told that Ireland shouldn't be blamed for what went on when Parcells was in charge because it was Parcells who made all the player personnel decisions?

Yet when the Ireland fans are asked for examples of good decisions Ireland has made since he became the teams GM, he is given credit for the drafting of Jake Long, Vontae Davis, and any other draft pick that these Ireland supporters think was a good selection while Parcells was with the team. They also give Ireland credit for signing Dansby and Wake .

It appears to be that Ireland supporters only want to give him all the credit for picks and signings they liked during the Parcells era, and yet blame Parcells for all the bad draft picks and the bad free agency signings while he was with the organization.

I agree that Ireland should be held responsible and given credits for every player drafted and signed in the last four years, since he has been the GM all this time. While he has had a small degree of success in the draft and in free agency, the teams overall records of 31-34 over this period clearly shows that Ireland is not up to the job. Especially when you consider that 11 of the Dolphins wins came in year one of this regime and the team has continued to decline each year after their playoff appearance in 2008.

It is time for Ireland to go. He appears to have no idea how to build a successful football team. The sooner Ross realizes this, the sooner he can hopefully hire a GM who actually knows what he is doing.

pumpdogs and shula_guy like this.
  35. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Fired Henning
    Fired Sparano

36. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    And what was the teams record last year with all these players on the roster. Oh yea, 6-10. Great job Ireland. :wink2:

pumpdogs likes this.
  37. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Means nothing when you're 6-10 and don't have a QB who can help you contend for a Super Bowl. We also no longer have the defensive coordinator who helped make the defense what it is.

pumpdogs likes this.
  38. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Lets see this is my favorite things 7-9,7-9,6-10 and I am sure this year we will be 6-10 or 7-9 again.Thanks jeff way to pick him.I love being mediocre your the best.

39. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    How about drafting a team to get us a winning record for a change.How about finding the most important postion on the field.

jw3102 and Da 'Fins like this.
  40. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I tend to judge Ireland as a GM based on his tenure since September 2010, when Parcells officially left. I think bringing Jason Taylor back a second time tells you all you need to know about who had final say while Bill was here.

I'm neither an Ireland defender, nor an Ireland hater. FWIW.

But there needs to be a distinction made. Ireland is a very good talent evaluator, with an abrasive personality. He seems bad at the people skills element to being a good GM.

Cutting YB the way he did. Cutting Crowder and Will Allen last preseason arguably made Sparano's job that much harder. Persistent rumors that Ronnie Brown's playing time was cut short in 2010 to save bonus money. These don't help coaches manage a locker room of volatile men.

Depending on your POV, Ireland has stuck wisely or stubbornly to a refusal to overpay. Orton last year, Flynn this year. Time will tell which POV is correct.

Despite a lockout shortened FA market, Ireland's 2011 offseason was a success. I'll let this one play out before I commit to either side of the Jeff Ireland civil war.

smahtaz and Fin D like this.