1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jesse James TE

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...state-te-jesse-james-entering-2015-nfl-draft/

Now! Here lies true potential greatness.

I predicted he would declare a couple months ago. Some disagreed.

The truth is that Hackenberg sucks and the coach is an idiot, Jesse James is totally righteous in getting out of that program. IMO, he was grossly underused.

If the Dolphins pass on Jesse James they will regret it. Even if Clay is retained by the Dolphins it would be a mistake to let this guy go to another team.

The Dolphins need to start pursuing greatness in their personnel decisions and stop just filling holes in the draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg7nTsBWZNg

2. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Man, he moves pretty damn well for 6'7". Absolutely love the size and pretty damn good speed for that size as well. Catches the ball w/ his hands. TE is not near the top of my list for need this coming draft, but I've been thinking about BPA over the last couple of days and he would be hard to pass up depending upon where he is available.

3. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Definitely underperformed this year for a variety of reasons…but he is going to shoot up boards after the combine. Reminds me of Jimmy Graham as far as athlete goes

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Jesse James and Maxx Williams shoot to the top of the TE board because this is a weak class. But I'm not sure they're must have type players.

5. ILDolPhan

ILDolPhan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    It'll be interesting to see where he's projected to go. I'd like to see Miami draft a big, physical WR in the 1st or 2nd, but a 6'7" TE that could move would be a nice consolation. Hopefully, Clay is re-signed, and I like how Sims is developing, so that would be a nice stable of TE's. I think GB had 5 TE's on the roster at times when Philbin was there, so he may see similar value in that position.

That said, there are definitely other positions of need (especially if Clay is re-signed) that could trump TE in the early rounds of the draft.

6. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    You see....this is exactly what i have been talking about. This is the way Ireland drafted as well and in my opinion this is a fail. What you end up with is a roster filled with mediocrity.

The only great player we have is Wake and he came to us out of Canada. Grimes is, or rather was, for a couple seasons special, but he came to us as a risk player in free agency.

I agree, there are going to be some areas that need to filled. The CB position could be OK next year or it could just blow up into a complete debacle. A very good CB acquisition would be really nice because Grimes is losing a step and Jamar Taylor is injury prone and seems to have the mental age of a 12 year old.

The issue is that we are never going to gain the edge in this league without some greatness. Being solid and balanced leads to a permanent 8-8 record year in and year out.

For example: I see more potential greatness in Rollins and Rowe in this draft than I do with most of the guys projected in the top two rounds. Yes, they are both extremely raw at the CB position but at least there is the potential to draft our very own future all pro players.

I would rather draft one or both of those guys and sign a stop gap veteran corner to a 1 year contract than draft Trae Waynes in the first or the criminal Marcus Peters in the 2nd.

Finnegan would do if he was getting paid 2 mil not 6. That was a bad contract. We could get as much from RJ Stanford for peanuts.

7. ILDolPhan

ILDolPhan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Where would you draft James then? Right now, I don't think he would justify a pick at 14, because I wouldn't want him over Kevin White for instance. You can't ignore the depth chart, and we have an opening for a big, physical receiver with several in this year's draft and probably not in FA.

Also, I don't agree that Hackenberg sucks, because he had a new coach and scheme. I will agree that Franklin's offense appears to underutilize TE's, but that doesn't make him an idiot. He was pretty successful at Vanderbilt, so that's saying something there. For instance, Bruce Arians doesn't utilize the TE's in his offense, and he's a damn good offensive mind.

I've followed the Rams since I live fairly close to St. Louis, and Finnegan has been done as a starter for several years. Kind of surprised Miami squeezed some decent games out of him. Coyle seems to have a strength working with older secondary players though. May have a career as an agent waiting for him with how he negotiated that deal, since I can't remember any other teams being interested. I guess that's the not the first time Miami has negotiated against themselves.

8. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Yeah, not at 14. Like him, but not that much.

9. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    Ya, wow man, not in the 1st round. He has a small body of work and limited film because he was soooo underused. He may even slide to the 4th but I would guess the 3rd round if he indeed runs a low 4.6 in the forty and wows them with his strength as is expected.

I stand by what I said and I think there is ample evidence on film: Hackenberg is way overhyped and will never be an NFL QB of any standing, and the coach is indeed grossly incompetent.

Penn State could have had a way better season than they had. I like Mike Hull if he slides to the late 5th or 6th and Miles Diffenbach as a Center prospect in the late 4th or early 5th.

10. ILDolPhan

ILDolPhan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    I guess we'll see how he does next year, but that's a pretty strong statement. I think he's got some tools to work with, but this past season was definitely rough for him.

Your projection for James makes sense. I just assumed you were wanting to draft him fairly early due to your OP.

11. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    I don't know but I saw him missing targets by 10-15 feet from clean pickets and there didn't seem to be any missed communication or mistaken routes; just seriously errant passes like you would see a HS QB throw.